Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen?  (Read 14766 times)

TCC

Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen?
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:58:25 am »

Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen? :-) And do they have an entertaining feedback?

I was looking at a pilot boat thread earlier and.. well.. one thing led to another and I was reading feedback (yes, I do have other things better to do! :-)) but anyway, I was curious... so I'm reading feedback and the thought struck me, jeez, this is entertaining! He forgot a lead here, didn't charge a battery there, failed to turn the light off the other! Well you know...

So just for a bit of fun, who's the worst ebayer you've ever come across?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »

Lets not turn this into a 'name and shame' thread but one newbie ebayer I bought a camera off didn't think
it was worth pointing out that the camera was scratched, bent case, pulled apart and badly repaired.  >:-o

Worst ebayers are the ones that don't answer your questions.!  >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TCC

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:32:24 pm »

Ah Matin, I hadn't thought about thr naming bit!  :embarrassed:

The first time I bought something on Ebay funnily enoug was also a camera (film) and 2 zoom lenses, a 35-70 and 70-210. [Centon K300 or D300? Jessops sold them] Anyway, it was £19 + about 6 postage. I think I won it as I was the only bidder.

So  I gets it and the long lens was for a different mount!! Much profuse appologies later along with the tale that 'he's selling it for a friend' and he gives me all the old filters he'd had to the tune of '£5 worth'. I left him a positive feedback.

It'd have been great if those filters would have been a few months early as I'd just paid £30-odd for a circ polarizer and there was 2 amoung the filters including one the same size as I bought!

Does the camera work? Yes, except for the bit that's broke... the film rewind slips!!!

Martin, I didn't mean to turn it into a name & shame, I just fancied some interesting feedback entries! :-)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:53:25 pm »

I was once really pleased to be able to find a rare wall plate, which was a limited edition plate, decorated with a picture of the St Lawrence Seaway and was produced to commemorate an anniversary of the Seaway.  I was even more pleased when I won the item so I duly sent off my cheque and waited for the item to arrive. 

Looking back now it is quite funny but one day there was a knock at the door and I answered it to the postman, stood there looking a bit sheepish, holding a jiffy bag.  He shook the bag and we could both plainly hear the tell tale chink, chink of broken china.  All he could think of saying before he gave it me was "I hope it wasn't valuable"!!

I gave the seller a roasting via e-mail but all he could come up with as a defense was the fact that he sent stuff to the United States all the time in the same way and never had a problem!!

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:02:26 pm »

Liz bought a cash register from a bloke in deepest Northamptonshire. Stepson #2 was duly despatched to collect it ('cos he lives near-ish) and when he brought it up here we found there were no keys for it.
Mr Seller couldn't find any, so we had to fork out £13 for a new set from a dealer.
THEN we couldn't find a particular spool thing which Liz needed to do a Z-print. Seller eventually found this and posted it off.
When we found there was no clamp to hold it down I gave up asking. I reckon we'd have paid less for a new till.
Turned out that Mr Seller's missus had been a crimper and had scarpered, leaving him to clear out the salon. Probably explains why the thing was covered in hairs!

FLJ

(Hey - isn't that post #1000? Shouldn't we crack open a bottle of bubbly or something?)

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »

Dave,

You buy and open the bubbly - we'll drink it!

Roger in France

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:33 pm »

You buy and open the bubbly - we'll drink it!

Aw, shucks, dude! We forgot to invite you...........maybe next time?  8)

FLJ 1001 ("Cleans a big, big carpet - for less than half a crown".........sorry - wrong thread)

andyn

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:08 pm »

That sounds nice Roger I'll have the Dom Perignon White Gold Jeroboam please...

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:56 am »

Hey did I tell ya's about the time a bought this fancy digital camera off a ebay, what a bargain, anyway hooked it up to my computa and it was full of pictures of MI6 operatives working undercover in the middle east, bent politicians with rent boys, none bent politicians with their mistresses, any way you get the picture. Thought I'd better do me civic duty and takes down the cop shop but they think its a wind up. Early the next morning I wakes up to the sound of me front door crashing in and the rumble of boots up the stairs and before I knows it I'm strip searched and got more secret service looking up me bum than you can shake a stick at ;D. They then proceed to clears me house out and has me signing the official secrets act, which reminds me I should'nt be telling you about this  :embarrassed:
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:18 am »

I'll have a pint of what he's drinking!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:06 am »

Lets not turn this into a 'name and shame' thread but one newbie ebayer I bought a camera off didn't think
it was worth pointing out that the camera was scratched, bent case, pulled apart and badly repaired.  >:-o

Worst ebayers are the ones that don't answer your questions.!  >>:-(

Disagree Martin - the worst ones take your money and scarper    :police: :police: :police:

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:30:45 am »

I've just had this email from a seller two weeks after my purchase....

We wanted to make you aware that your item - daylight White LED light -
has been received back here with us today damaged beyond use.

We have contacted our supplier and they cannot tell us when the next lot
of these will be with us and we are now out of stock.

Can you please let us know if you would like to wait for our next batch
of these to come in or would like a full refund.   

Please accept our sincere appologies for any inconvenience caused and as
I am sure you can appreciate that when orders leave here we are in the hands
of a 3rd party courier and things dont always go as smooth as we would like.
If I can be of anymore help please feel free to contact me.

He's still listing the items.....

I've asked for a refund......

Hmmmmm......

bigH

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:46 pm »

;)  Not connected but I went into the local Chinese and asked for a takeaway, Gave me a rat on a string and said,
Take that away........   bigH

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »

.... well, I wonder if anyone can explain how people get away with this?     Went to bid on a set of plans on Ebay for a Coble boat ....... before I put a bid in I checked the seller; it was the same guy who is selling FLJs swordfish plans ... Now, obviously, he must be photocopying the plans and selling them surely this is a breach of the copyright laws?   How come, you see CD's of plans advertised on Ebay and you know fine well they have been electronically copied from magazines.  Surely Ebay must look and know this?  Especially when people report it, surely they should be watching sellers ....

aye

bloobs
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

omra85

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

Not connected but I went into the local Chinese and asked for a takeaway, Gave me a rat on a string

You lucky blighter, our's doesn't have them WITH STRING, you just get it in a foil tray  :o {-) {-)

Danny

craftysod

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »

Ebay dont care about copyright,because somewhere in the small print wherever that is,there is bound to be a disclaimer.
I notified Dave on 2 occations about the thief using his plans and ebay was contacted,but as long as they get the money for
posting the ad,thats all there interested in.
Its not worth the money or time to prosecute these people as nothing comes of it

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 07:46:38 am »

I think you all misunderstand Ebay, they are too busy trying to turn a profit (they never have yet) that they do not try to control what is sold on their site. Imagine trying to check the veracity and legallity of everything offered for sale.

If someone complains the best they can do is strike off the seller. However, if they do that they lead themselves open to a charge of restraint of trade.

Ebay is a appy hunting ground for those who deliberately want to cheat and who prey on others, not just the gullible.

Having said that, I recently bought a garden sweeper for 400€ from a germany company which was less than half of what any other trader was offering. It was a superb buy.

Roger in France

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 08:32:04 am »

eBay are not interested, that is the scandal of the whole thing and why I am very very cautious about using them nowadays.  In my last head to head with them they replied to my complaint about a seller saying that they only provide the market place, they do not see it as their responsibility to get involved with disputes. 

Thier attitude is, and always has been, disgraceful and the only way in which we will ever do anything about it is if we stop using them.  They are basically providing an open market place where crooks can roam freely in the knowledge that no-one is going to hold them accountable for thier actions.  No wonder it attrcats more and more of them as people realise just how easy it is to rip people off and get away with it.

If they operated a market stall on a Saturday morning in your local town centre they would have thier license taken away from them by the council.  On eBay they can do what they like completely unhindered.

Bluebird mentioned breach of copyright with plans, which is obviously on the increase as there seem to be more and more of them as time goes on.  Have a look in the vehicle section at workshop manuals.  They are all on CD.  Obviously all copied and being sold in breach of all copyright laws but eBay do not take any steps to stop this.

TCC

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 09:48:50 am »

Yeah, agree... the liklihood of ebay stopping a revenue stream is as likely as the pope visiting the woods and asking a bear if it's catholic! (or something like that?)

What's the 'scam' where you can win a 'buy it now' auction for 1p on 'The best, most successful money making scheme on the internet'? The idea seems to be you win it, pay them 1p (does that transaction go through?) and they 'sell' you the idea of hosting e-bay sales selling 'The best, most successful money making scheme on the internet'!

I could never fully understand what they were about? Unless it's a 100% feedback generator?

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:19 pm »

I bought an old OS20 marine IC engine. It was described as in very clean condition with plenty of compression, but unable to test run as no fuel or glow electrics available. Took the chance, it is exactly as stated, but the crank shaft plain bearing is totally gone. About 2mm of side play. I can't believe it was able to run to this degree of wear, but it obviously did.
It reminds me of the customer who brought his 25hp Johnson outboard engine in for a service. After we stripped it down and found all the needle roller bearings to be Toblerone shaped, he admitted to running ten gallons of petrol through it but forgot to add any oil. Worst of all he had borrowed it from a friend. Scrap only.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »

If there is a breach or trademark or copyright, the owner of it can have the item/seller removed using a system called vero within a couple of hours (no normal long waiting times) ,vero them 2 or 3 times and they will be banned for good from ebay, you have to register to use the service first, its how they keep fake epson and things like that from on ebay

We had 3 sellers removed last year for stealing our trademarks, 2 claimed to be our products with our photos, one claimed we had stolen there trademark, we could provide evidence of ownership and faxed to ebay none were there after 30 minutes of the fax., using the evidence from ebays vero system, we have since closed 2 of them with a court order as well.

If you buy something that doesnt work or is not what it says, you can claim your money back if its from a company in the UK in law they need to take item back, thats what the law says, paypal also say you can if its not a company you can get it back as well when paying by paypal, so paypal is 100% safe way of using ebay

The 1p `buy it nows` were to build feedback to masive levels by dodgy sellers making themselves look good, they can not be done anymore in most countrys (were the law allows them to be banned), in the UK it is a minimum of 99p for a buyitnow, like most things over the last year ebay have banned sellers from most bad practice, such as downloadable ebooks etc

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »

Ref the copyright thing:

It's still ongoing. So far I've had to complete two separate forms and fax them to an address in Switzerland. This has cost me £3 a time, but I'm told that they have now "acknowledged my rights as copyright holder" - I'm almost proud and honoured..............

Then  I waited for them to send me their Vero "tool" by means of which I can automatically notify them of any further  breaches of my copyright. It seems to be an add-on to my browser. However this tool had not arrived after three weeks, so I E-Mailed them and got a very terse "wait your turn, we're very busy" reply. Meanwhile Chummy-Boy is still advertising copies of MY work on their crummy flea-market, and they are guilty of a secondary breach of copyright. I wonder if their reaction would be different if we operated an E-Bay shop. I guess that's good old capitalism for you.

Who's going to take 'em on? Not me, mate. My solution is to undercut the rat-bag who's thieving my work and hope he never sells a single copy. As for Messrs E-Bay, I wish them everything that they apparently wish me.

Parasites.

FLJ

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 08:14:53 pm »

You need to get `a proffesional` such as a solicitor, company director, teacher etc, preferably a solicitor to buy one, say you need it recorded delivery, before it gets delivered you need someone to witness your work that you have (if not already done) and then post it to yourself

Then work out a claim and sue them in court for your loss, they will not attend (99% chance) and you will win without a fight, if you have your evidence then you will win anyway.

Then , If they have sales, send them a letter (preferably witnessed by someone like solicitor) claiming a royalty fee for each copy sold, claim no individual royalty exists and make a whopping great charge for the year, per year, minimum number of years.... , they will not pay,add interest, letter fees, fees for collection, solicitor costs,  you can then sue them in high court and apply for there bancruptcy.

OMK

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »

I used ebay for the first time ever a couple months ago. And sure enough, I got stitched big time. The guy was advertising a 'buy it now' HF radio, supposedly good working order, and although I was nervous as hell of parting with £300 to a total stranger, and although the seller sounded like a genuinely nice bloke on the telephone, I ended up with a pile of junk.
I knew it would be a waste of time complaining to ebay, so the only way I knew to deal with it was to call the seller on the phone again and threaten to go round his house and rip off his head. He finally returned my money, but I wouldn't let him have the radio back until he coughed up enough to cover the postage and also a bit more for wasting my time in the first place. I still haven't heard or seen neither hide nor hair of the dude. The best part is, I still have the radio here, and, me being me, I managed to get it working and all.
But what an experience. I guess it serves me right for not heeding my own initial apprehensions. So never ever again shall I have any more dealings with ebay. The entire thing is exactly as many of you have already warned. i.e: it's a breeding ground for rip-off crooks, ne'er-do-wells, thieves, rogues, liars and cheats. And I'm damned if I ever want to deal with some faceless wonder from ebay who is apparently not at all interested when you make a complaint anyway.

craftysod

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:38 pm »

PMK
sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with fleabay,i have only ever suffered once,with a person who claimed they never got what i sold ,and it cost me £140.
I have got some real good deals from the site i.e. £700 bathroom suite for £220,heated towel rail (b&q £170) for £13 so there are good and bad.
The thing that peeves me off if, i need stuff for my boats,i have to go to separate sellers and the postage bumps stuff up as the model shop near here is so overpriced or doesnt do what i want
Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.