Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen?  (Read 14761 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: Who's the worst Ebayer you've seen?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »

Dear All,

After reading carefully what everybody has said, I write just to mention a few things.

I have been 'involved' with eBay for nearly five years - not as a Seller but a buyer. My experience has been in the main very good indeed, and I do find it very very useful. Ok, certain fields I buy in mean the Sellers are trustworthy anyway, but, once you move to things like DVD's, CD's, you do find different Sellers, and as to RC things maybe one can get a 'raw' deal if you are not careful. I have never had a problem - though, to be honest, I haven't bought that many general things (mind you, with RC, two 1:96 destroyers and a Cruiser and some transmitters so quite a bit really I suppose - the TX's were an excellent buy as it happens - the ships were good as well).

Everything depends on how you participate. Yes, with a new Seller not dealt with before, I do check his/her FeedBack, and this tells all really and is the best guide as to what they are like. Ok, I have had two bad deals, and these were with one with a gnrl. gamble low value thing, and one with a DVD's - the latter I did get and it was indeed my fault for not checking what Region it was, but he wasn't going to swap it for something else even though I asked politely - but we can get a raw deal anywhere at the end of the day. As to the low value item, I patiently did everything by the book with eBay, likewise with PayPal, stated my case firmly with the Seller, and in a relatively short time PayPal refunded and the Seller had a ticking off from eBay and PayPal. At this time - because of something say by PayPal, I did a lot of jumping up and down about FeedBack from Sellers to Buyers, and what I said had quite a bit to do with Sellers being restricted from leaving Negative FeedBack for Buyers - with a nice clean record over five years, I was damned if I was going to get Negative FeedBack from a Seller in retaliation for my Negative FeedBack for their bad service!

So, to those who haven't tried it, or for those who have had an initial bumpy ride, do not give up on it, the Service is good but just keep you wits about you. Do not damn the thing if you get the occasional 'raw' deal, it's all part of life's rich experience! With high value things, just take a great deal more care... tell the Seller you are nervous of parting with such a lot of money to a stranger, do not be afraid of telling the Seller exactly what you are feeling... a compromise can always be reached... don't forget, the genuine Sellers are just as nervous about getting their money as you are paying them! Communication is all important, the more of it the better. If things do go wrong, it's no good whinging about it as in 99% of cases it's the Buyers who are at fault because they haven't looked closely enough at the Seller. If it's a genuine case of Seller dishonesty, it's just a question of Patience, Persistence, and Determination, and you will get refunded.

This is all a bit 'in brief', but my experience proves the above to be correct.

Regards, Bernard

Roger in France

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »

Bernard, you are quite correct.

I mentioned above in this thread that I spent 400€ with a German company, which was less than half what I would have to pay elsewher.

I was very nervous as the deal looked so good. I examined what they said several times and decided the only thing which could be wrong with it was if it was a very good minature of what I thought I was buying! So, I sent an enquiry to the seller asking if it was truly the full size job, worked well and what could I do if I was disappointed. I had a very full and helpful reply - in German; English and French!

The deal was great.

Roger in France

OMK

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 03:11:10 am »

Do not damn the thing if you get the occasional 'raw' deal, it's all part of life's rich experience!

Nonsense. Since when did losing out to some unscrupulous ebay seller become just another part of life's rich experience? So are you saying that we should all play in the safe zone and only purchase from big-name companies from whom you are pretty much guaranteed not to get ripped off? It seems that buyers who have not been turned over by a dodgy dealer will never have the insight of knowing what a rotten experience it is.
For instance, French Rog has totally missed the boat - again. He was happy to send his 400 smackeroonies to a Germany company because a: Germans are pretty much more honest than the average ebay seller anyway, and b: because it was a company he was dealing with - not some faceless conman who would be almost impossible to trace if he should do a runner with the money.
Obviously, it is the easiest thing in the world to gloat of your safe and easy ebay deals, but I would wager that smiles would soon be wiped from faces from the moment you start playing outside the aforementioned safe zone and gain some first-hand experience of how it is when someone takes you for a mug.
And yes, of course we all read the seller's feedback ratings. And yes, some of us even make contact on the telephone with the seller before parting with our hard-earnt. Me being me, I put honesty and integrity above any so-called feedback rating - especially when the seller comes across as a bona-fida genuine and friendly person. And yes, some of us are ebay virgins -- first-time buyers who put our trust in the seller.
It's tough enough being taken for a ride by someone who turns out to be a rotten, lying cheapskate. Even worse when someone who only plays with safe sellers and then gloating what a wonderful deal they have had. To this end I still stand by what I said in the previous post: ebay is probably okay if you only deal with reputable name and companies. Other than that it is just there for dodgy dudes, out to make a fast buck.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:44 am »

PMK- I share your experience and agree with it, but not fully.
As I am a regular Ebay-visitor (Buy and Sell) I had made with over 270 trades just one bad experience. And, to be honest, this was my own fault.

If you are not sure wether this is a good deal or not, keep your fingers off it. Or in case of doubt ask the seller if he could send more and closer photographs of it. If he agrees and doesn`t give you any sorry-tales... he is honest enugh to show you the real  condition. If he had taken the photographs in a way, to hide anything he won`t agree to that.

The feedback can be helpfull. If I`m not sure either, I flick thru his reputation. If I`m not sure either, I`ll keep my fingers of it. It doesn´t necessarily depend if it`s a company or not, even a company may fool you.

Some marks for being carefull:

How many bad comments did the seller got in the past?
Is he willing to send some extra-photographs to have a closer look?
Are the photographs sharp and clear, do the show details or are they foggy and taken from a distance?
How fast is the reply on questions?
Does the seller offer Paypal-Payment? If you deal with Paypal over Ebay, you are protected.

If you are not sure wether to buy it or not- follow your 7th sense keep your fingers of it. Always remind- like on your TV-control you are the boss. By pressing the button on the control I decide if I go for the programe, or not.
Don`t be p****d off with the programe on TV- it`s up to you to switch off.
Don`t be P****d off with Ebay as well, it`s up to you to have control tu buy something or not. In case of any doubt, leave it.

And PMK, thankyou for the nice comments about the honesty of Germans  {-) , but I know some real muggers here in Germany as well...

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:59 am »

.... btw, back to the origin theme...

... the worst ebayer I have ever seen has made a bid of 62 Euros on a 50-Euro-Bonus Card from Ikea....  GREAT DEAL, BUDDY!!!!!  :-)) :-)) :-))
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:12 am »

Dear PMK,

Firstly, I understand and sympathise with all that you say.

Personally, I get just as upset over loosing £3 just as I would do £300 (I am deadly serious), it's the Principal of the thing. No, I have not 'lost' too much over eBay, probably only £30 or so Pounds in five years, however, I have lost very considerably more from time to time in normal day/day business over the last twenty five years or more, but, such is life... there is always someone out there who will do their damnedest to take something from you, and life experience eventually gives one the wherewithall and insight to reduce such exposure to a minimum. As to trusting larger Co.'s and known names, I treat them with just as much caution as anybody: Scottish Power being one that I have never trusted... having presently 'an issue' with them where they have obviously got upset/revengeful that the tenant has changed to another supplier (the tenant had asked my permission), and SP are trying to claiming back amounts over four years even though I paid everything in total on the 1/11/08... what is worse, they are even claiming I owe for some elec. on this property before it was even built and connected!!! %% <*< Never trust SP bills (I never have), always send letters of importance Signed For or Special Delivery (their response time and reply paperwork is very poor), and I would advise - from past experience - to always treat them with distrust (they seem to run with 'if in doubt make it up'! - less office time/trouble to do so isn't it! - and they gamble that no-one will stand up to them).

I don't think anyone has been derogatory, clever, or gloating in anything that has been said under this Subject. I certainly never wrote with such feeling, and I am sorry if it came over that way as it was certainly never intended, and I am sure Roger likewise. I did however, intend to help by possibly giving some additional insight, since I stand by what I said in that I do consider eBay a good and useful service. Yes, there was a set of DVD's I wanted (£80), and it didn't arrive of course and I was obviously 'worried/annoyed', so I proceeded with the normal chase emails to the Seller... and yes there were no replies. So, whilst at the same time as contacting eBay and PayPal, I 'attacked' the Seller with more forceful legal words, and this did start the ball rolling - though the Seller made the mistake of making promises of delivery that were not kept. It took only a very short while to work out what was going on: the Seller was making the fatal error of stalling because he/she did not have the item in the first place, and an even bigger mistake in thinking that I would go away and forget about it! Cutting the story short, I told eBay and PayPal what I was certain of, they were in the process of dealing with the matter, but, in the meantime the Seller came to his/her senses and put their hands up (after I said the Police would be the next step before the SCC - eBay were very unhappy as the Seller's adds. and tel.no. were out of date). The key with all this when in such situations is to NEVER make threats that cannot or will not be carried forward... if they are said, they must be meant, and one must without being prepared to carry them out. Yes, there is quite a lot of writing to do, and careful thought to make sure that all the correct procedures, Rules, Regs., are taken care of - whether for eBay, PayPal or prep. for the SCC application/execution.

Luckily you had things sorted out in your own way, and it worked very well and you achieved a satisfactory conclusion - with inconvenience granted, but you 'lost little' apart from inconvenience. Think on it this way, not many would have done what you had done, and the Seller chose the wrong person to muck about with when they sold to you!!! :-))

To sum up. Whilst without doubt there are some dodgy Sellers on eBay (as there are anywhere/everywhere), there are a very great many more on eBay who are honest and straight in their dealings... and who will do everything properly to keep their good name/FeedBack (again, I am a buyer only, and have never sold on eBay). Again, FeedBack is important, BUT, granted, it is not of very much use if the Seller has only sold about fifteen or so items (but a clean record is still a good indicator), so at the end of the day a combination of "if-it-sounds-to-good-to-be-true" and 'Caveat Emptor' must apply, and "you pays your money and you takes your chance". It must be remembered on eBay one is dealing in the main with people who do not know anything about the intricacies of selling or the proper way of going about it, and this in itself must cause problems: futhermore, when things do go wrong for them, they don't really know how to deal with it. No excuse really of course, as decency and principal should apply, but some just don't know how this is supposed to work.

So, that's it really, and I hope this will clarify what I meant as I wouldn't like there to be any missunderstanding over what has been said - or indeed what Roger said.

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:26 am »

Sorry, just seen typo. "...if they are said, they must be meant, and one must without being prepared to carry them out.", should read, 'and one must be prepared to carry them out.' Bernard

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 11:32:57 am »

It must be the thrill of the chase........... I'm told our stuff frequently sells for more than the new selling price (e.g. a P40 Mixer went for £40 when a new one is £24), and we sold a pack of five crystal holders to a punter who bid £4.25 for it. They normally sell at 25p each!

Still no "Vero" tool, by the way...........why am I not surprised?

FLJ

TCC

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »

Are the photographs sharp and clear, do the show details or are they foggy and taken from a distance?

This is something that always struck me as odd with guys selling photography related gear. You'd have a guy selling a camera or lens and the photos would look like they was taken through the bottom of a milk bottle. You'd have thought that a keen amateur would be able to take a sharp, steady, in-focus shot, wouldn't you? Especially when the images are of the glass surfaces to a lens and he's trying to show you their condition.

P.S. Thanks to the lad who explained about the feedback generator.

OMK

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35:29 am »

Okay, Mr. Polaris, I concede -- you win.
Math has never been my strong point, so if I have done my reckoning correctly it seems that the three replies here who are in favour of ebay far outweigh all the others who aren't. And besides, like you say, what is wrong with a spot of iddly-diddly inconvenience anyhow? I mean, it's no biggie when we have to waste our time and effort in order to try to regain our losses when things go belly-up, is it? After all, honesty and truth were never high on their agenda when ebay opened their doors, so why am I being a berk and bad-mouthing those wondrous folk in the first place?

Now pass me my credit card. I have just spotted a singing canary on ebay, going for a song.

<edit>

Let's shake hands and knock this on the head before it turns into another Mayhem melee.

OMK

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 05:49:00 am »

FLJ, re: Vero. I have some phenolic-type board with loads of pre-drilled 1mm holes and copper tracks on the underside if that is any use to you.

(Black sand, indeed! You're pulling my wicket, right?)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:01 am »

Hi All

Just a little word of caution as to how we all post and what we say on the Forum - as it turns out that we have a class-room 'toot' or 'grass/shopper' amongst our members and he goes well above the moderators heads; he takes great pleasure from his reportings of our comments on threads.  Sad person indeed!  The person will go out of his way to report to the actual shop/person being discussed.

So be warned lads and lasses be careful what we say and how we say it about model shops, shops and folk and traders on Ebay etc.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:51 am »

Theres been lots of that on the ebay forums, anyone types anything at all someone goes to town and trys to destroy them on ebay, checking the wording of every listing etc

This is why you see people posting on ebay forums with no feedback, yet obviously knowing a lot about selling on ebay, they need to hide who they are as people look out for them and report them, buy from them to deliberately scam them etc

Theres even a ebay scamming , scam a powerseller forum hosted somewere!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:12 pm »

Theres been lots of that on the ebay forums, anyone types anything at all someone goes to town and trys to destroy them on ebay, checking the wording of every listing etc

This is why you see people posting on ebay forums with no feedback, yet obviously knowing a lot about selling on ebay, they need to hide who they are as people look out for them and report them, buy from them to deliberately scam them etc

Theres even a ebay scamming , scam a powerseller forum hosted somewere!

so lets hope this forums not going to end up like ebay forum

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

OMK

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 07:08:31 pm »

Hey, Bluebird, refering back to TCC's initial post, I can understand Mayhem's reticance to let this thread develop into a name-and-shame war (probably due to moral, as well as legal reasons), and naming those dodgy bozos would probably not make the slightest difference anyway. Same thing with that forum toot. Even if you named the sucker it would probably give the little worm even more ammo to play with.
Judging from what you said, it sounds like you know who he is. So the next time you see the dude, why not shove a stick of dynamite up his butt?

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »

Dear All,

In all the now quite many years I have been buying via/from eBay, this is the first time I have heard about such activities as recently described. During the occasional FeedBack look at how our American cousins go about things, I have noticed that they certainly don't beat about the bush in saying what they think about each other! Thankfully we do things a bit differently over here! - somewhat less 'savage' FeedBack!

Having I hope come to 'know' many people via the Mayhem Board, I would be very surprised if someone was to do such a thing as mentioned, simply - in my thinking - that there is little point in bothering to waste the time to do it.

I have seen many times people pay over the odds for things, but that is their prerogative and decision. I have indeed paid well over the odds for things, BUT, after carefully weighing up what I consider the balance is between availability, distance, what I would have to pay otherwise, what I can get elsewhere, and numerous other pertinent factors.

At the end of the day 'the value is in the eye of the beholder', and I have seen just as silly behaviour as on eBay in normal public auctions - at my cost when I have had to have something - for whatever reason. And, I have had just as much reason to complain about descriptions at public auctions when placing Commission Bids - due to the surprising ignorance in this partic. instance of the seller, and the stupidness of the Auction House to think the seller knows what he is talking about! Ok, I would probably still paid what I did, but it would have been nice to have accurately known beforehand exactly what I was bidding on!

Ok, maybe I am lucky to have had many years of experience of Public Auctions (live participation and Commission Bidding), and this has of course stood me in very good stead with the general eBay auction 'principal'. However, as to the individuals involved, well, one must rely just as much as if on Commission Bidding - 'you pays your money and you takes your chance'. At the end of the day, the equation balance over any given period of time is the important factor - I take great care never to be on the 'loss side'!

Regards, Bernard

Patternmaker

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 07:29:34 pm »

I have been an ebay user for over 6 years buying and selling, with only the odd hiccup mainly items from sellers not as described or not received.
The most recent was a model power boat hull described as new unused when I received it the deck and cowl was badly scratched, the seller did not respond to emails so I opened a dispute claim with paypal the dispute was  quickly settled with a partial refund to cover the cost of  repairs.

To date I have not lost any money with over 350 transactions and picked up some great bargains, I will only pay by paypal that way you are covered. I always check sellers feedback before bidding.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.