Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size of flag for slipway trent???  (Read 5929 times)

Mark47

What size of flag for slipway trent???
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:58:44 pm »

As it says above. When being sold are they measured on the diagonal or the lenght?

Many thanks.

Mark

Mark47

Re: What size of flag for slipway trent???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:29 pm »

Can I also ask? What size of yellow lettering?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:38 pm »

Hi Mark have you checked out http://www.readebusiness.com/page14.html

Malcolm does RNLI flags and Decals and also give sizes.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mark47

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »

Hi Mark have you checked out http://www.readebusiness.com/page14.html

Malcolm does RNLI flags and Decals and also give sizes.

Thanks, I had a look there but it says a 1:16 model should have a 5-6" Flag...........That's HUGE. It does not seem any where near the correct size. I'm on Westbournes site just now waiting to place the order for the Trent and some bits and pieces. They have the same size chart. I've been trying to get a hold of Model Slipway all day, but they are not answearing the phone. Nearly put me of buying the kit to be honest. I also sent an email to them last night and have had no reply. Is there a show going on? It does not say anything on the web or answear machine.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »

Did you read the note about sizing RNLI flags ?

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:12:58 pm »

Did you read the note about sizing RNLI flags ?

Duh......Same chart but that's missing on Wesbourne.

Thanks for that :-))

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

I've been trying to get a hold of Model Slipway all day, but they are not answearing the phone. Nearly put me of buying the kit to be honest. I also sent an email to them last night and have had no reply.

They are open 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday, they, like other people, have weekends off when not at a show.  8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Brian Roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:49 pm »

Hi Mark
As you say 5-6" flags for a 1/16th boat are miles too big. The ones I got from Reades for my 1/16th Severn are approx. 37mmx18mm and 40mm diag. These were actually recommended by Reades!
Hope this helps.
Brian

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:25 pm »

Hi Mark
As you say 5-6" flags for a 1/16th boat are miles too big. The ones I got from Reades for my 1/16th Severn are approx. 37mmx18mm and 40mm diag. These were actually recommended by Reades!
Hope this helps.
Brian

It does, but I've already placed my order for the 50mm flags, I had the 38mm in my cart for hours, unfortunatly I didn't get many quick replies. :((

Mark47

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:33:02 pm »

Hi Mark
Hope this helps.
Brian

It does, but I've already placed my order for the 50mm flags, I had the 38mm in my cart for hours, unfortunatly I didn't get many quick replies. :((

I've managed to change the order to 38mm..Phewww.

I have another question though.

I will run the Trent on the recomended Graupner 600 Ecco motors with a 9.6v 3300mh battery for each. I'm told I will get about 40 minutes running time if not going flat out.

Anyway my question is. What speed controllers? I have a couple of spair Viper 15amps, but I don't think that will be high enough. Can someone shed some light on this?

Many thanks.

Mark

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:32 pm »

Have a word with Dave at

ACTion R/C Electronics

19 Carisbrooke Drive
Nottingham
NG3 5DS
0115 9607951
www.action-electronics.co.uk
dave@milbourn.wanadoo.co.uk

Hes a nice helpful man who will have just the thing for you, plus you will get your Mayhem discount.

Infact if you click on your boat on the Slipway web site then scroll down you will find Daves stuff on there  :-))

Brian Roberts

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:34:38 pm »

Hi Mark
I'd install 2x25 amp ESC's, some people would say this was too much, but better sure than sorry, and I'd recommend putting fuses in as well.
Regards
Brian

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:41:40 pm »

Gents

Some words to the wise…

Here at Reade Models, we do take great care to make sure that modelers are supplied with the correct flag.  The note regarding RNLI flag sizes on our web based flag sizing chart is original BECC supplied information.  The length to height ratio of RNLI flags is different to most other flags.

Generally speaking, I believe that an oversize flag looks and flies better on a model than an undersized one if price isn’t a consideration.  Having said that, there are one or two instances where I believe that, especially on lifeboats, and particularly with house flags, an oversized flag, or even one of the correct scale size can be over-egging the pudding so to speak?

The following calculation is based on the current thread:

A standard RNLI House Flag is 3 feet 6 inches long. 

3 feet 6 inches = 3 x 12 =36 + 6 = 42 inches

42 inches x 25.4 (millimeters per inch) = 1068 mm

For 1:16 scale:

1068 divided by 16 = 66.75mm is the correct length of flag for a 1:16 scale model.
Recommended sizes (by BECC) size ‘D’ – 50mm (undersized) or size ‘E’ - 75mm (oversized).

For 1:12 scale:

1068 divided by 12 = 89mm is the correct length of flag for a 1:12 scale model
Recommended size BECC size ‘E’ – 75mm (undersized) or size ‘F’ 100mm (oversized).

Thus the correct size flag for an accurate scale model always unfortunately falls somewhere midway between BECC standard sizes with respect to lifeboats.

You could use either size of flag, at the scales shown, both would be correct.  It’s all down to personal preference, but my own recommendation would be to go for the 38mm (BECC size ‘C’) on the 1:16 model.  Even the 50mm looks too big in my own humble opinion.

Regards, Malc

Mark47

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »

Gents

Some words to the wise…

Here at Reade Models, we do take great care to make sure that modelers are supplied with the correct flag.  The note regarding RNLI flag sizes on our web based flag sizing chart is original BECC supplied information.  The length to height ratio of RNLI flags is different to most other flags.

Generally speaking, I believe that an oversize flag looks and flies better on a model than an undersized one if price isn’t a consideration.  Having said that, there are one or two instances where I believe that, especially on lifeboats, and particularly with house flags, an oversized flag, or even one of the correct scale size can be over-egging the pudding so to speak?

The following calculation is based on the current thread:

A standard RNLI House Flag is 3 feet 6 inches long. 

3 feet 6 inches = 3 x 12 =36 + 6 = 42 inches

42 inches x 25.4 (millimeters per inch) = 1068 mm

For 1:16 scale:

1068 divided by 16 = 66.75mm is the correct length of flag for a 1:16 scale model.
Recommended sizes (by BECC) size ‘D’ – 50mm (undersized) or size ‘E’ - 75mm (oversized).

For 1:12 scale:

1068 divided by 12 = 89mm is the correct length of flag for a 1:12 scale model
Recommended size BECC size ‘E’ – 75mm (undersized) or size ‘F’ 100mm (oversized).

Thus the correct size flag for an accurate scale model always unfortunately falls somewhere midway between BECC standard sizes with respect to lifeboats.

You could use either size of flag, at the scales shown, both would be correct.  It’s all down to personal preference, but my own recommendation would be to go for the 38mm (BECC size ‘C’) on the 1:16 model.  Even the 50mm looks too big in my own humble opinion.

Regards, Malc

Interesting info, I'm sure it will come in handy again.

Thanks for clearing it up. :-))

Mark47

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:59:48 pm »

Hi Mark
I'd install 2x25 amp ESC's, some people would say this was too much, but better sure than sorry, and I'd recommend putting fuses in as well.
Regards
Brian

So 15s are a no, no?

I spoke to Westbourne Models about fuses and they said as long as the speed controller had a cut off. The fuses were not required because the controller will shut off before any damage occurs.

Mark47

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:02 pm »

I forgot to say in an earlier post that I'll be using 4 blade 40mm brass props.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »

Speak to Dave.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »

Hi Mark
I'm only going from personal experience. I built a 1/16th Severn with 2x600 motors and 2x20amp ESC's and no fuses in the system.
One of the motors went pear shaped and seized on test and subsequently one of the ESC's literally caught fire, fortunately we were near he bank so the boat was retrieved before much too damage occured.
The Esc's weren't cheap foreign rubbish but from a reputable UK Co.
Hope this is of some help
Regards
Brian

Mark47

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:31 pm »

Hi Mark
I'm only going from personal experience. I built a 1/16th Severn with 2x600 motors and 2x20amp ESC's and no fuses in the system.
One of the motors went pear shaped and seized on test and subsequently one of the ESC's literally caught fire, fortunately we were near he bank so the boat was retrieved before much too damage occured.
The Esc's weren't cheap foreign rubbish but from a reputable UK Co.
Hope this is of some help
Regards
Brian

This does :-))

Thanks.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.