Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower class scramble nets...?  (Read 3741 times)

das boot

Flower class scramble nets...?
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:22:03 am »

Anyone got any ideas as to where the scramble nets would be hung when picking up survivors from the water on the Flower class corvettes?
What would a scramble net look like? Size, length of drop etc?

Ta,

Rich.

ian kennedy

Re: Flower class scramble nets...?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »

Hi Rich,

A scramble net is a large square shaped latice rope net square grids about 1 foot spacings.

They were stowed any where for easy access and on a corvette, i supose they would be deployed from the lowest point on the bulwarks to aid recovery of dunked sailors, so i would say just aft of the forecastle break in the hull.

I would go to a fabric shop and get some fine lace tule netting with a square grid section and stain it a mucky rope colour and.....bob's yer aunty you should have scramble nets.

Ian

ian kennedy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »

Sorry Rich,

Dimensions for the length would be from bulwark rail to water line and a width of about 75mm wide for the 1/72nd scale job and grid sze of around 4mm square.

Ian the forgetful tired of unpacking boxes muppet!! %%

TCC

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »

Have I got the book for you or what!

It's about the 'Rescue Ships' and they did convert a few corvettes to this role but they found them troublesome as the tumbleholme? and flare to the bow and stern made bringing a lifeboat there a bad idea for guys who've been in an open boat. [They'd have had not only had to climb up, they had to climb 'out' as well.]

So they prferred to use the small mail boats that had more of a vertical sides.

But I have images of a modified corvette in this book and I'll sell you scans of them... we'll just have to agree on a price.  :-))

Actually, I've jst ran and got it, there's one full shot of the 'EMPIRE REST' with the nets (6) just hang over the midships section. They are, as ian says, about 12" spacing. On rescue ships, they'd also hang one off a boom, swing the boom over the side so it was 90° to the ship and they'd scoop up any survivors who fell off from up fore, or it'd catch a helpless boat that was drifting along the side.

The net is just rope that's been woven into a net. [you could 'trawl' the internet for net-making how-tos for fishermen. Sorry, couldn't resist!]

If you think they'll be of use, I'll scan the later when I've a min. There's 2 that you may find useful?

das boot

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »

Thanks Ian and TC, that's a great help. I can make nets (years of training...well, I mended my fishing net once...) I was thinking of piece of fine netting to use as my scramble net, mainly to hide the joins in the hull.

If you could scan the pics TC I'd appreciate it very much indeed.

Rich

Hagar

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »

Just a thought, but could you use the plastic nets that is used to package onions and the like in supermarkets? comes in a few different size netting and should take pain after a wash in soapy water....

TCC

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:07:25 am »

Thanks Ian and TC, that's a great help. I can make nets (years of training...well, I mended my fishing net once...) I was thinking of piece of fine netting to use as my scramble net, mainly to hide the joins in the hull.

If you could scan the pics TC I'd appreciate it very much indeed.

Rich

You're wish is my command:

I thought it was based on a flower class but a web link says it's 'castle class corvette', I thought the latter was a frigate?

and:

Net

Jeez lads, I'm a bit ashamed of yer.. ashamed! What's wrong with your mothers window netting? You can buy yards of that for tuppence. I used its 'flattened oval' patterned mesh for torpedo nets defence and I've also had some in a square type pattern. I cut it into rows and made some very small scale ladders from it. Too small for my scale... but they'd make a fair dandy ladder for the smaller models. Maybe superglue would stiffen it and make a 'rope' ladder into a steel one?

Put the thumbscrews on the missus until she gives up the location of her supplier!

Rich, I said about making your own nets using knots in case you was going to do it properly, if I have known you were happy with 2nd best... ;-)

The window netting is white nylon but paint it or dye? Rich, not sure if they are that helpful seeing as this is a bonafide rescue ship and yours is a naval ship proper... but they won't harm.

das boot

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:25:35 pm »

Terrific TC, many thanks for that...it's given me more than enough ideas of how to make and install the nets. As they say in all the best places...'watch this space'.

Ta again,

Rich

tassie48

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 04:32:03 am »

das boot I use wedding vale netting for scramble nets and torpedo netting I go with the old girl to the fabric ships what a vast model supply shop hidden from us .The netting takes a paint lightly dusted and the torpedo netting just painted in black looks great and about $5.00 a meter out here in Tasmania I even got the plastic floats for the torpedo netting and as scale mines their as well even the beads for the radio lines and mooring lines cotton in a lot of scales 1-96-1/32 scale cotton rolls three strand just great to splice up and soaked on a cup of coffee colors up just as well so worth the brownie points to go shopping with the missus tassie48.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.