Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tow Hook Installation  (Read 10130 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tow Hook Installation
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 02:03:03 pm »

Looks good! I may some photos here - usually comes over to the Wood Boat festivals.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »

Looks good! I may some photos here - usually comes over to the Wood Boat festivals.

Thanks very much. I'd like to see the pics.

John

Pierre

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 06:26:51 pm »

Hi All
This might be slightly off topic, or stating the obvious but if you're using a conventional tug ie. propulsion units right aft, make sure the towing point is well ahead of the screws.  If you tow from a point just above the screws, attaching to bollards for instance, you will find that it is almost impossible to turn the tug when there is any load on the tow wire. The load on the towline will negate any effect that the rudder might have. If the towing point is ahead of the screws, the tug will manage to pivot around the towing point. Obviously the less tension on the line, the more successful this will be.
This only applies to conventional tugs, without bowthrusters. ASD tugs, Voiths, SDMs etc, with units ahead of the towing point, don't suffer from this difficulty.
Cheers - Pierre

Capt Podge

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:12 pm »

Hey, thanks Pierre, that's good info and something that is so easily overlooked by we, the novice tug builders. :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.