Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lights  (Read 7299 times)

parky

lights
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »

i wonder if anyone can surjest the best place to get lights ie led for my boat build hopeing you   can help parky ;)

craftysod

Re: lights
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:00 pm »

wideawake

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:45 pm »

i wonder if anyone can surjest the best place to get lights ie led for my boat build hopeing you   can help parky ;)

Here are a couple of URLs which I've used both to purchase a range LED types as examples for an article I'm writing ATM.   There are a surprising number of types and sizes!

Supplier of LEDs and optical fibre
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Supplier of LEDs
http://www.rapidonline.com/

HTH

Guy

saxon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:07 pm »

Just ordered lights from mobile marine models on Friday . Hope they will be here early this week . I'll leave a post when they come and let you know what i think but can't
see me having any problems with them . Also ordered deck lights from www.rclighting.net  i'll do the same when i get them .

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »

I got a good deal at xmas from my local wilkingsons store ,
Led lights for the xmas tree about 30 of them ,either red,white ore blue £3.00 running off two AA bats .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

parky

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:51:27 pm »

Just ordered lights from mobile marine models on Friday . Hope they will be here early this week . I'll leave a post when they come and let you know what i think but can't
see me having any problems with them . Also ordered deck lights from www.rclighting.net  i'll do the same when i get them .
  thanks for your help  parky

parky

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:01:09 pm »

thank you all for your help  parky

parky

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:45:53 pm »

i wonder if anyone can suggest the best place to get lights ie led for my boat build hoping you Can help parky ;)

Here are a couple of URLs which I've used both to purchase a range LED types as examples for an article I'm writing ATM.   There are a surprising number of types and sizes!

Supplier of LEDs and optical fibre
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Supplier of LEDs
http://www.rapidonline.com/

HTH

Guy

:-) Guy thank you for the sites have been on them one was great for tools as well  cheers   parky

parky

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:05:38 am »

One of many places

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Electrical.html

:-) thank you have bought a few of there boats never thought of them for lights  parky

dave301bounty

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:56 pm »

Hello Stan.  You are looking for lights   ?  no   ,on the Hobby,s site ,there is a section which deals with lights for dolls houses .i got some off them 2 years ago for the Venetian night ..[laugh ],at the lake .they worked great ,and there is a big selection ..also on this site there is a lot of very interesting stuff that can be adapted ,and used on model boats ..Have a look Stan  it wont be a waste of time .then there is Reads models .they have the lighting systems for various boats ,wired up to your speed controller the lights work accordingly  .

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 01:05:18 pm »

A lot depends on the 'era' of the boat you are building..

LED's are a far brighter (and white) light compared to incandecant bulbs. LED's can look totally out of place on say, a between the wars tug, but are ok on a modern tug.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 01:46:29 pm »

That depends on the kind of led you get and how you drive them. You can get warm white led's to replicate the more yellow light of a tungsten lamp. You can also dim leds by feeding them a pwm current. The easiest way to do this is to purchase a small forwards only speed controller, the little tiny ones used for park flyers. This gives you ability to dim and switch them off completely from your TX.

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 02:01:14 pm »

I bought some searchlights from Bluejacket Shipcrafters and drilled a hole in the back to put in an ultra bright LED. It even gives off a blue-white light just like the real ones.

parky

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:38:03 am »

Hello Stan.  You are looking for lights   ?  no   ,on the Hobby,s site ,there is a section which deals with lights for dolls houses .i got some off them 2 years ago for the Venetian night ..[laugh ],at the lake .they worked great ,and there is a big selection ..also on this site there is a lot of very interesting stuff that can be adapted ,and used on model boats ..Have a look Stan  it wont be a waste of time .then there is Reads models .they have the lighting systems for various boats ,wired up to your speed controller the lights work accordingly  .
:-))Thanks for the info Dave see you on saturday at e/port parky

parky

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:40:57 am »

A lot depends on the 'era' of the boat you are building..

LED's are a far brighter (and white) light compared to incandecant bulbs. LED's can look totally out of place on say, a between the wars tug, but are ok on a modern tug.
:-)Hi i am building the tamar life boat of slipway 1/16 thanks  parky

parky

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:10 am »

I bought some searchlights from Bluejacket Shipcrafters and drilled a hole in the back to put in an ultra bright LED. It even gives off a blue-white light just like the real ones.
:-)) search lights you great thanks for your help  parky

emarald

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »

FOR LIGHTS EBAY HAVE SOME GOODS BOAT LIGHTS SETS LED'S AND THEY ARE PLUGED IN TO A CIRCUIT BOARD FOR EASY WIRING ALSO COMES WITH THE DIAGRAM HOPE THIS HELPS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.