Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P Passat!  (Read 8911 times)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
R.I.P Passat!
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:04:34 am »

Well, this is a bit embarrassing chaps but there is a lesson here for someone somewhere I suppose.
My 15 year old VW Passat has gone to pastures anew, during a really cold spell a few weeks ago I jumped in the car, having de-iced it and prepared to set off to the ironmongers. Whilst half in the car, i realised I had not opened the gates so thought I would fire the thing up whilst I opened them. I pranged the start button..... the damned thing was in first gear and i had just released the handbrake so instead of lurching and stopping, the engine lit up instantly and she took off towards the upnopened gates with me barely in the drivers seat!
As there was only about 8 feet between me and the gates, it left little time to get on the brakes but i went for the lot big time, completely missed the pedals, and shot through the unopened gates. These are heavy field gates, they open inwards and I succeded in pushing the whole lot outward into the road, smashing everything up as i went. bits of gate shot into the air and came down on the roof, also smashing the windscreen as they went along. I ended up in the roadway with the remainder of the gates wrapped around the car and bits everywhere.
I am not the kind of bloke who dents bodywork normally, it's a pet hate of mine and i have never smashed a car up in my life but there was my old girl battered and bruised and itwas my own stupid fault. I looked it over, reckoned I could still use it till october when the mot ran out and soldiered on....until... a week later, I lost her to an icy patch and went through a fence, smashing a headlight and completly disrupting the front bumper and its mountings!!!
 I sat there in disbelief, two prangs in two weeks, more than I have had in a lifetime and thought"I have lost the ability to control my motor vehicle, this is the end for me" I fumbled for my Luger in an attempt to end it all there and then but, as I don't own one I stuffed a chewey mint mint in my mouth and drove the wreck home.
I have given the old girl to my sons friend, he will fix it it up and carry on using it until the end ofthe year then, it's the razor blade factory for her! That was probably the best built and most rewarding vehicle I have owned, it was utterly reliable, tons of room, very economic but could really fly if you gave it the wellie... handled well too for an estate car.

Going completely off the rails, I have gone out and bought a 2 litre Honda CR-V (4wd thingy). It is a most excellent machine in every respect aside from sh--ty gas mileage. They reckon 28mpg average, I am screwing 31mpg out of it so far and they are all short trips at the moment with lots of cold starts. Fabulously comfortable, very relaxing and handles really well. I poodle it around in an unhurried manner and resist the temptation to boot it as I am aware it can be a greedier machine than my old Passat. Perhaps not such a bad thing anyway, it will teach me to slow down a bit, especially as i seem to have forgotten how to handle a car now!!
The lesson here; Always apply your handbrake!! If you get it all wrong one day, do everything out of sequence, disaster will be avoided because you had a permanent lock on your wheels.
The handbrake...  it can save you a fortune and save a life... use it!   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: R.I.P Passat!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:27 am »

A moment's silence for the old Passat... and Sheerline's dignity.......!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:21:49 am »

What dignity??It is in tatters!! :police: :police: :police:

Seriously, unlucky amigo, but at least nonone was hurt....At the end of the day they are only tin boxes.......That said I love my Golf 2.0 TDI..

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:26:26 am »

If you are thinking of buying the new model Passat, here's a tip that will save you a lot of grief - don't.

Cheers

Barry M

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:36 am »

31 MPG from a 2 litre (petrol?) 4WD vehicle isn't bad.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:45:16 pm »

Sounds like a scene from an old black and white comedy movie.  Glad no-one was hurt though, just goes to show what can happen when that momentary lapse of concentration hits.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

Thanks for the kind words of sympathy chaps. There was me banging on a while back about the importance of using handbrakes and now I hang my head in shame.
 They always say things come in threes, as a parting gesture, I backed the thing up a concrete ramp when I went to look at the Honda, there was a bit of a step at the edge of the ramp and the mudflap at the rear got caught between the step and the back wheel and tore itself from its anchor point. I just stood and looked at my old faithful steed, battered broken and torn and thought "I did that"... a sad moment indeed.
Perhaps if i had a Luger I should have short the car with it to put it out of it's misery!!

As for the CR-V, totally out of character for me, swore i would never own such a machine but it looked great, drove like a Rolls oyce and with just 72000 on the clock I had to have it. I am working on the fuel comsumption thing, you're right ,31mpg isn't bad,  but I reckon I can screw more out of it. The battery had been disconnected as It was kaput and it seems, as with most fuel injected engines, the fuel injection computer seems to reset to some kind of factory de-faut setting. This usually means lousy economy for a bit until it adjusts itself to regular use and inputs from the throttle, whereupon they appear to improveafter a time. I have over the past couple of weeks, been driving around and seen it go from 28mpg in the first week to 31 in the third week. This third week has actually seen many more cold starts and slightly brisker driving than in the first so I reckon I can get more out of it driven normally. I have yet to service it and will probably put a fully synthetic enfgine oil in it, it did wonders for economy and performance on the Passat.
I have to say, without reservation that it is the most cofortable vehicle I have ever owned... even more comfortable than my old Jaguar, not as smooth and quiet but definately more comfortable.
Just out of pure interest, I will update this at some point and let you know how the fuel economy pans out.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:05:59 pm »

A good friend of mine is a photographer and he had a CR-V.  He had over 100,000 miles on it before he deicided it was not as reliable as he needed.  He swore it was the best car he had ever had though and would have replaced it if they were still being made.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:16:42 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge, I believe they are still being made and in fact heard an advert for a local Honda dealership advertising this same machine.
He may have meant that he would have liked the earlier version (same as mine) as they were reckoned, reliability wise, to be bullet proof , also the styling of the later version appears a little overblown compared to the original. The later version boast a better fuel economy too.
The one i have bought is green, evryone keeps saying "Oh dear, green for grief, green is an unlucky colour for a car"! I point at it's undamaged body work and clean shiny underbonnet machinery, its unmarked interior and state "It was owned by a lady with two children and it is nine years old, the body work is original and it has a clean service history,. Unlucky?? I don't think so!

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:23:10 pm »

Thanks for the kind words of sympathy chaps. There was me banging on a while back about the importance of using handbrakes and now I hang my head in shame.
 They always say things come in threes, as a parting gesture, I backed the thing up a concrete ramp when I went to look at the Honda, there was a bit of a step at the edge of the ramp and the mudflap at the rear got caught between the step and the back wheel and tore itself from its anchor point. I just stood and looked at my old faithful steed, battered broken and torn and thought "I did that"... a sad moment indeed.
Perhaps if i had a Luger I should have short the car with it to put it out of it's misery!!

As for the CR-V, totally out of character for me, swore i would never own such a machine but it looked great, drove like a Rolls oyce and with just 72000 on the clock I had to have it. I am working on the fuel comsumption thing, you're right ,31mpg isn't bad,  but I reckon I can screw more out of it. The battery had been disconnected as It was kaput and it seems, as with most fuel injected engines, the fuel injection computer seems to reset to some kind of factory de-faut setting. This usually means lousy economy for a bit until it adjusts itself to regular use and inputs from the throttle, whereupon they appear to improveafter a time. I have over the past couple of weeks, been driving around and seen it go from 28mpg in the first week to 31 in the third week. This third week has actually seen many more cold starts and slightly brisker driving than in the first so I reckon I can get more out of it driven normally. I have yet to service it and will probably put a fully synthetic enfgine oil in it, it did wonders for economy and performance on the Passat.
I have to say, without reservation that it is the most cofortable vehicle I have ever owned... even more comfortable than my old Jaguar, not as smooth and quiet but definately more comfortable.
Just out of pure interest, I will update this at some point and let you know how the fuel economy pans out.

I drive a 1.8 petrol Astra, and only manage about 27 miles to the gallon on my short trips (5m) to/from work. Over 17,000 miles it has averaged about 31.5 MPG, so your 2.0 litre Honda is doing well.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:36:05 pm »

Hi M.I.T.S.   I guess it's ok for the type of vehicle really but I was spoiled with the old Passat, 2.0 litre estate, running around usually got between  39-42mpg. Actually squeezed 51.5mpg out of it driving it like a 90 year old on the way back from North Weald last year and I have done that twice now! That was actually checked by logging fuel used against mileage from a full tank and not relying on the fuel computer which, when checked was found to be accurate anyway. Fully synthetic oil is worth every penny by the way.
 I will learn to live with it though as I thoroughly enjoy riding in this thing.

amdaylight

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:51:13 pm »

Sheerline,

Quit your crying, my wife (SWMBO) decided that a Jeep Wrangler would be more fuel efficient than the truck that I wanted and I am stuck with 16.5 miles to the gallon and what is worse I have no room for any body in the back seat or for the BOATS  >:-o >>:-(. The space in back is about 3'x4' when the back seat is out, heck I very rarely but it in. The only 3 things that even begin to redeem it is the fact that it is a convertible, it is 4 wheel drive and can go just about any where I want to go and is is much more maneuverable than the Expedition would have been. What I wanted was a Ford Diesel Expedition, they get 22 miles to the gallon and can carry half the world with them.

And oh by the way I did almost the very same thing that you did, you drove forward through a gate and I backed through a balcony. I went to start the Jeep only it was in reverse, my foot slipped of the clutch the jeep lurched and then proceeded to back through the support for a balcony taking it out and landing what was left on the roll bar of the Jeep. Since the top was down there was no damage to the top only a small dent it the windshield frame. The top still seals so no water gets in when I drive, in the Great Pacific North Wet this is important. I used to drive tractor trailers  and have over a 1,500,000 miles with out any dings or scratches so my dignity also took a major hit.  :embarrassed:

Andre
 >:-o >>:-(  over yonder in Portland Oregon

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:48 pm »

A mate of mine did something similar with his SLK Mercedes,
Left it in reverse rather than park whilst he open the garage door. It folded the drivers door into the front wing on the gate post and crossed the road and demolished the house opposite's gate post, while Henry ran after it, no doubt ussing a few choice words.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »

You chaps are making me feel MUCH beter by the minute!! :-)) :} 31mpg... heck, I'm running on air by the sound of things!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:08:34 pm »

So, a Passat is a good starter, then?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:32 pm »

Dear Sheerline,

I hope you put a suitable claim on the Insurance? These things just happen. Accident.

Regards, Bernard

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »

Sheerline, when that lad's finished with the passat, instead of just taking it straight to the scrapper enter a banger race and send the old girl out in style or failing that go to you nearest out of town shopping centre and do a few doughnuts. :-))
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »

What a great choice of car  :-)) I have a CRV and yes your about right on MPG though start towing and take out a mortgage for your fuel  :((

Which model is it ES ?? S ??

when you get to the pond / lake side you can take out the table from the rear and have a place to stand your model's

:-))
R,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »

sheerline after reading your posting and feeling a bit sorry for you about the demise of your cherished car, it brought back memories of someone I worked with, Jimmy Dawson, he was going on for weeks and weeks about raising finance and acquiring his new Sierra V6 Gear automatic; and we used to work the same machine at work - he was on permanent days /me on permanent nights.   Anyway, when I got into work; there was a note waiting for me on the top of the machine - he had taken half day off to collect his 2nd hand pride and joy Sierra.    

Following morning 7 a.m. came and still no Jimmy - 7.10 a.m. I was outside and looking at the gate, 2 crowds of people just outside the main gate.

One side I saw Jimmy sitting on the wall, with 4-5 people standing around him plus one of the Company security guards they thought he would take it out on Ivy and on the other side his wife, Ivy, 2 security guards, a first-aider, and half the wall she was sitting on and his 'new Sierra' rear was embedded in the wall!

Another car was in the middle of the road - with all its back end smashed in - and a car alongside the wall with all its side stoved in.

What had happened; Jimmy had got out of his 'new Sierra' and said to Ivy - DO NOT FORGET THE CAR IS AUTOMATIC - but.....

typical I know, I know, I know Jimmy reckons he hadnt closed the car door when he heard the engine scream and then disappear and plough in the back of another car and next thing he dived for cover and the Sierra came reversing towards him, sideswiped a 2nd car, stoving its side in and then into the wall!!!!

What Ivy had done was thought that the accellerator was the clutch pedal, floored it and then wacked it into Drive mode - the car shot off - she panicked when she hit the first car, put her foot back on the accelerator again and saw the R on the gear stick and pushed it quickly into R which reversed the car and wrecked the drive plates on the gear box as well as wrecking the car.

Jimmy and Ivy are still married.

Funny tail ending to this - Jimmy and Ivy had been trying since they were married to have children - and 3 weeks after that accident - her news was that a baby was on the way.   So something somewhere....happened.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 08:23:44 pm »

Hi Sheerline, I have a CR-V, it is a V reg and I bought her Jan 2001, it has just come up to 60000 miles and she is very reliable.  The only fault I have had was the engine water thermostat, which was replaced 3 years ago.

I asked about a Haynes manual but I was told there was no call for one, still the owner manual is very helpful, last thing I did was change a running light bulb, bit of a performance as you have to pull back the inner mud cover over the front wheel.

The only fault I run with is the green led for the auto transmission indicator which has failed and I just don't know how or what to do to get at it.

Also with the auto transmission, you can walk between the front seats to get to the back, not to be recommended while driving though!

The last 2 MOT's, I just drove in and she passed each time.
Fuel consumption (automatic) is about 24 mpg local driving but does get to 30 on a motorway run.

Most people refer to the CR-V as a FWD but most of the time you are in front wheel drive, it is only when there is some slip that the FWD comes in.

Very happy with her, loads of room for my boats in the back

regards to all Roy

catengineman

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »

As I said I have a CRV and if you want a manual I have one on CD or you can download one from a Honda owners site I'll sort out a link if you want.

Only problem I have had is transmission but was lucky that Honda warranty covered it when I totalled it towing one of my large trailers
 change the oil frequently and that problem is avoided 90,000 on the clock so far and going strong  :-)) has towed out several conifer trees and also dragged a tandam axle caravan from Dover to Linconshire no sweat.

R,

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 08:40:33 pm »

Bluebird, you just had me in fits of laughter with that tale.... poor bloke! Still, as you say, something good came out of it!
Roy, the model I have is a manual five speed so I am expecting much better consumption figures to the auto, I know they are thirsty beggers but I would always choose a manual in any case as my ego gets a kick out of smooth gearchanging. Even my old 4.2 litre Jaguar was a five speed manual, bit of a truck box but I loved it.
As for a workshop manual, you are right, they still dont do one! I didn't know the lamps were accessed from the inner wheel arch, I will have to look at that. I thought that kind of design stupidity was the realm of French cars. I will assume at this stage that Honda have had the forethought to make the job easy, unlike Renault who's bulb changing proceedure takes 20 mins and is a complete fiasco.
When I looked for a replacement car, the main criteria was "Nothing French or Italian up my driveway"!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 08:43:04 pm »

Hi CAT, cheers for that! I would welcome the link but as i am a computer cretin, it's possible I may have a problem and if so, would welcome a copy of your cd. See how I get on with your link.

catengineman

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 11:06:19 pm »

Hi sheerline,

http://www.hondahookup.com/

regester then on the left side bar select manuals and then go to the one you want to download, I think it will be under accord etc if memory serves me.

If that wont work let me know what year and model type and Ill look through the disks I have here. (yes I have a few lol all Honda from civic to Acura Integra)

R,

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:31 am »

having a problem with that there site CAT. Usual thing ,I followed all the registering rules, filled in the boxes and.... nuffin.! It wont let me do anything, it just sits there, boxes filled in and nothing to click onto and no 'next' box.
 I just knew it would dump on me, if you have any ideas, they would be most welcome, failing that, I would welcome any additional help by way of a cd, copy or otherwise.
Thanks for the help and advice so far, I told you these ruddy computers don't like me!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.