Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Postmen  (Read 8867 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Postmen
« on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »

Does anyone have an early morning post anymore,?

I am sitting here at nearly 2.00PM waiting for boat bits and the b***er still hasn't turned up. >:-o

Yesterday it was 2.30PM.

Does the PO really think we want our post in the afternoon.

I see they want to sell part of the Post Office off to a private concern.

It can only be an improvement.

I wont even get started on the amount of post that goes missing.  >>:-(

Rant over, back to twiddling thumbs.  >:-o
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

taxi

Re: Postmen
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:28 pm »

Never mind, the waiting will be worth it when the stuff arrives and you could always shoot the b****r when he goes and leaves the gate open again, or you could zap him with one of those  elastic bands that they always drop on the street.   

Our post used to arrive between 9 / 10 am but now its anywhere between 11 and  2.

steamboatmodel

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »

At one time when the Post here was still called "the Royal Mail" we had morning and afternoon deliveries six days a week, (never on a Sunday) and that was for residential all for a 2 cent stamp. You could drop a letter in the corner box in the afternoon and it would be delivered in the city the next morning. Now we have "Postes Canada" ( which sounds like it should be something you have for breakfast) and for 54 cents you can have delivery in 3 or 4 days in the same City, but you can send to the UK and it only takes a week.
Regards,
Gerald

andyn

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »

Our postman is very good, comes at about 11am which is very conveniant, he also brings biscuits for the pooch O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »

3.00PM and he just turned up.  >>:-(

andyn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »

Oh dear :o

I think a scotch and a lie down is in order ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:05:43 pm »

Was going to let the dog have him as he hates postmen, but I resisted the temptation.

As for the whisky I never have one before 5.00PM.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:24 pm »

Roll on 5pm then DickyD, what say you.
I have had no end of problems with the post. Recently I sent a package out to a friend containing passes, tickets and literature for the charity show I organise, all my friend received was the remains of an envelope with a stamp on it. I told the Post Office I was raising money for charity, and I did not class PO as a charity making me pay twice for the postage on the package.
Alan

amdaylight

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »

Was going to let the dog have him as he hates postmen, but I resisted the temptation.

As for the whisky I never have one before 5.00PM.

Richard remember the song, ( it might not have gotten much of a play over yonder ) "It's Five o'clock some where"  O0

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

andygh

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »

I see they want to sell part of the Post Office off to a private concern.

It can only be an improvement.

I wouldn't bet on it

Our post arrives anywhere between 9am - 2pm, a pain in the backside when I'm on nights. Nothing has ever gone missing though, not even bills  <:(

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »

Not so much a problem with timing, but does the Royal Mail have a positive discrimination policy wherby they only employ people with dyslexia? Or is it just because the school didn't teach kids how to read. Somebody who I don't know and myself must have worn grooves in the pavement re-delivering each others mail (2 streets apart). Doesn't help that "he" always opens mine whereas I tend to read the address first. Major embuggeration. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:39:26 pm »

Oh no here we go again same old same old, just goes to show what a thick nation we British are we just can't see the woods for the trees can we. I mean its oh so simple to blame the poor postie is'nt it, why is it we can't put two and two together, I would'nt want to do his job and I don't think you's would either.
Moral in the post office is at an all time low, no investment in equipment or training, and the pay is so poor because they have to hire anybody including unregistered foreigners and criminals WHILE those in charge of it are sitting in their golden domes pulling down exorbitant salaries whilst telling us the systems doing fine and in great shape, we heard the same thing about the banking system and looked whats happened there.
Now they wan to sell it off at a rock bottom price to private industry, where I'll guarantee you profit will be put before service like everything else in this country.  If these CEO's are not prepared to run the PO, on behalf of the State with the nations best interests first and formost, then the same ones should'nt be allowed to do so as a private company.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

andygh

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »

Somebody who I don't know and myself must have worn grooves in the pavement re-delivering each others mail

I have a similar problem except I have the post belonging to the fella round the corner AND mine delivered to me at the same time, by the same postman  >:-o

just goes to show what a thick nation we British are

Hmm, see above

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 05:25:39 pm »

Last Thursday I sent a very small packet (bubble envelope) down to BECC for guaranteed next day delivery.  It cost me £4.60 and was delivered on Tuesday!

Roll on privatisation!

Malc

garston1

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

Not nice to work for a place where you get the sack every day is it lol! But i suppose it's better than walking the streets. :}

MCR

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

If any one thinks that private ownership will improve matters then you are proof that we learn little from History:
Rail ,gas water need I say more?

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 06:10:39 pm »

I despair, I really do. Privatising the Post Office really is "selling the family silver".

The Royal Mail used to be a proud, prestigious organisation. Ships, trains and aircraft that carried the mail flew a flag or had a badge proclaiming the service. My mail was protected by special laws.

Soon any Tom, Dick or Harry will be handling the mail and the service will not get better.

In France "La Poste" hangs on by the skin of its teeth but it is still a proud, friendly service. Knowing the rural, sparse population of parts of France I assume the delivery cost per item is very high but going to my local post office and greeting the delivery woman (it usually is a lady on a bike) is still a pleasure and time exists for pleasantries,

Roger in France

Philipsparker

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »

In some bits of France & Germany mail only gets delivered 2 or 3 days a week. Once it is privatised in the UK we can only hope to get a service as good as that instead of 6 days !

Also if you live outside of a major city then postage to you will be higher because the private firms won't want to do this - business post is where the profits are.

Still, as someone said, alll those other privatisations such as electricty and gas (sold to our enemies) and rail (every document now has to be writen by a lawyer) have been a rip-roaring success so this one will be as well.

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:58:57 pm »

6 days?

We don't have ANY collections or deliveries over weekends any more!

Also, if anything is delivered when we're out (deliveries are usually mid afternoon) we then have to wait until the following morning to collect - the sorting office counter in town closes at 2PM.

The Royal Mail has been in decline for years - the workers are rude, couldn't care less individuals who no longer have any respect for 'The Queen's Mail'.  I've had empty envelopes delivered, the contents pilfered, others ripped in half or covered in muddy footprints.

The sooner they all get the boot the better as far as I'm concerned.

Malc

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:34 pm »

Think we must share the same postman Malc. ok2

DARLEK1

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:22 pm »

Yeah and I am sick of upset cistomers ringing me up asking where their bits are when they have been posted, one took three months once and soem have gone missing completely, this has happened quite alot.

They say they want to help small businesses, they don't help me when this happens. One parcel sent to Canada, Royal mail had it down as having been sent, Canadian post had no record of receiving it as it was signed for,  3 months later it turns up after another order had been sent to replace it, the replacement got there in less than a week?

I send parcels out all the time and the other thing is, why one day does it cost say 2 quid then the next day 5 quid? Same size and same weight?????

The mind boggles.

Paul... >>:-( <*< ;D

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »

Last Thursday I sent a very small packet (bubble envelope) down to BECC for guaranteed next day delivery.  It cost me £4.60 and was delivered on Tuesday!

Roll on privatisation!

Malc

Very odd! I sent 3 CDs and a sheaf of papers to Australia and it was less than £2. Somebody doing the "rip-off" Britain I think. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 10:03:27 pm »

I will stand up for our postie out here in the sticks. Come hell or high water, that guy turns up and delivers our post around 9:00am every day without fail. If something needs  signing for and he doesn't get an answer, he comes looking for me in the workshop rather than take it away again. He is very rushed as he has a fair amount of post to get through and he can't walk from door to door as he would in a town. The houses are fairly scattered, so he is in and out of his van continuously.
These guys round here are great but i know people in the towns suffer, a lot of the posties  barely have a command of the English language it appears. This is not necessarily their fault, they just want a job but, the people in charge who put them there obviously don't give a hoot whether your mail drops through your door or someone elses... or doesn't get delivered at all! They are ok, they are salaried and probably get bonuses for lying about the annual delivery figures whilst the postie gets blamed for the lousy service.
Sack the captains, put the crew in charge, most of them know what the job entails!!

DARLEK1

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:17 pm »

That is a very good point Sheerline.

We had two regular ones here White British type chaps, who knew what they were doing and also the differing numbers on the houses IE, 1, 2, 3, 4 ETC
 Now we have a guy who is shall we say, as not to appear a racist which In by no means I am who is not entirely English language compatible delivering our household mail, more or less every night, it gives the neighbours a chance to talk to each other at least as we all end up with everybody elses mail.

I think they just do it as fast as they can and "sod who gets it in that street, they will sort it out themselves" kind of thing??

THIS HAS GOT TO BE WRONG!

Paul... >>:-(

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »

Any body who thinks privatisation is going to solve the the Royal mails problems are living on a different planet. This country is now facing the ludicrous situation of our utilities are now owned by non UK companies, electrical suppliers to give on example, are going to our government for consessions to build new nuclear power plants a twenty year programme of construction. However they have stated they will NOT employ British workers despite there being unemployed local skilled labour available, these worker are facing life claiming benefits which we the British tax payer will have to foot the bill. Peter Mandelson has stated that under EU law companies have to be allowed to take this decision if they so wish and we must have flexible working conditions to remain attractive to corporations, despite the fact the government has opted out of the European working time directive and other legislation to protect workers rights for the last 16 years or so, stinks of hypocrisy here.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.