Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Postmen  (Read 8870 times)

TCC

Re: Postmen
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:16 pm »

Now we have a guy who is shall we say, as not to appear a racist which In by no means I am who is not entirely English language compatible...

Come on Paul, don't be afraid to call a spade a spade in fear of the 'R' word.

Only today my brother was telling me about him having to call tome insurance place and he just couldn't understand the guy he was speaking too! I've had it myself... phoned some Health & safety type body and the first 2 times, I came off the phone thinking I'd ordered '2 weeks in Disney World, Paris' when I only wanted to book a test and a learning aide (book)  The 3rd go, I got someone english and it was just SOO easy with no communication issues, she understood me, I her, I asked for what I needed, clarified details from the earlier calls that the book covered my course, and it was the right version, and I came off the pone knowing exactly where I was at.

It's the same with Orange (mobile phone provider) their staff swear it's not in India but everytime we ring, it's always an Asian and you run the gamut from someone who you can hardly understand to someone acceptable.

This isn't a colour issue, it's a communication issue, as you're on the phone, sometimes on a premium no, and you''re tryng to communicate with someone not from your culture and it's just damn well difficyult to make yourself undertsood and to understand them... and non face-to-face communication is fraught as it is.

But Royal Mail? I remeber when we used to have 2 posts a day!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:23 pm »

we like our postman  :-) , right thats the praises done .
When we get the man in the red van calling with a parcel or whatever wont fit the letterbox , (and i have watched him) he pulls up outside fills out one of those slips  walks up the path and posts it through the door and then goes  >:-o .
I once collered him at the door whilst waiting for a package , and asked for my item "oh sorry i dont have it with me ,but if you call after 2pm you can collect it at the sorting office" he said . the sorting office closes at 2pm so it would have to be the next day  >>:-( .
Also the recorded and registered is a waist of time , i have sent cash in the post and the reciever found the letter thrown on his front dorstep (his door is right on the pavement front) , i complained  and was told the regular postie was off and the sub did not know what to do  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( .
Ok rant over with  :}
daz
TCC , if i get a none english speaking person on the other end of the phone i ask for some one else  , try a south african they speak realy clearlyand the females are realy sexy  :kiss:  {-) .
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

DARLEK1

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:39 pm »

OH Dear! Dicky, look what you have started all over again! A good old moan, but, that's what us British do, or should do isn't it? So I have been told anyway!

Paul... :-) ;D :o

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 12:35:46 am »

...Privatising the Post Office really is "selling the family silver"...

That is how I used to think.
But the family silver is now very tarnished. The silver plate may have even worn off now and we are only left with the nickel and brass.
I think one of the reasons they are so sloppy is that they are dealing with the public mostly and not businesses.

We seem to remember 'good old Royal Mail', but those days are gone.

Twice last year I sent parcels using DHL home 48hour service. Much cheaper (15kg box for 6.90 shipped within UK) than parcel post and also much more secure. A van came to my house and collected the parcel. So I did not need to struggle, with a big box, down to the P.O. And as I say, it was still cheaper.

If the parcel experience is anything to go buy, then the letter service will also improve.

The post office mail service has been protected for too long from any competition and so it has not invested, improved, or innovated. Unlike the courier companies. I am not saying the courier companies are all perfect, but they are cheaper and more efficient that posty.

I don't think the experience with the gas, water, and electric are necessarily relevant here. These utility companies can be run by service companies because the focus is on billing. That is why Centrica (an expert in running call centres) is running the gas. They also bought the AA btw and the cuts in back room operational staff and other non-roadside staff was big. Companies like this now make more money from selling motor insurance. But that is what happens when your business becomes a call centre and not a service centre.

Logistics companies cannot be run like call centres. And the logistics industry has developed over many years, innovated and competed for business customers who can just use somebody else. The competition is fierce, there is no de facto monopoly (unlike letters and utilities). They cannot afford to entrust your parcel to Muppet's.

IMHO if P.O. was forced to compete openly there would be fewer lost credit cards, fewer lost Giros, and an improvement in service. But I think privatisation is an inescapable first step.

my 2 cents
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 12:51:10 am »

Yup, thats what we do now, moan a lot! Most of us are old enough to remember when things ran much more smoothly and appeared to be a lot less complicated. For a great number of reasons, the people at the top end of our society deemed fit to start tinkering with everything in an effort to make more profit and cut costs whilst at the same time the Government dumbed the nation down slowly but steadily and coupled with an ever increasing population, the whole lot seems to have gone completely t-ts up!
I think the word greed has a lot to do with why we are where we are today and the greed is perpetrated by the few rather than the many. We are bombarded by the most ludicrous statements and rules on a daily basis now, they come thick and fast so the thing which wound you up yesterday is already forgotten today. By this continuous process, the moaners barely get a chance to absorb todays lunacy before they are hit by the next round and are left numbed dumbfounded and feel helpless to do much about it.
But remember, whilst there are enough of us left, there is always the ballot box.... they haven't managed to deprive us of that little 'avenue of pleasure' yet........and vote you must! You will only get one chance every five years so make it count!
Lets hope that these lunatics don't completely scupper our ship before we can get it underway again, I don't think there is a lifeboat option!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 01:03:53 am »

Sad thing about voting in a new government.
Only the colour of the badge changes. The song remains the same, on most issues.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 01:13:37 am »

Sad but true Tiger, but short of a public uprising, there appears little else one can do. There are alternatives but some are a bit too radical.
I am sure, given the low state things seem to be in, hopefully  there may be a few more alternatives offered when the time comes.

craftysod

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 09:19:13 pm »

The trouble is,when we do have a public outcry (fuel crisis years ago)  the goverment dont back down,make excuses,
and the people protesting dont get paid,so have no alternative but have to go back to work.
Unfortunately in this country not enough people are committed to fight the problem or worried they might get prosecuted
for standing up for themselves.
Yet if your an immigrant how many houses do you want,no ,you cant live on £1000 a week you need £2000,and bring rest of family over,we have job
shortage,even though there is nearly 2 million unemployed

MCR

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:07 pm »

BNP FORUM?

DARLEK1

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:45 pm »

Talking of uprisings, I hear Police intelligence is forecasting major riots etc in the summer months to come, it seems they think, tensions will explode and anyone and his dog who do not normally join protests will do this time as they think the people have had enough of all the rubbish that is going on!

Lets see what happens eh, but, it really can't go on for much longer can it?

Paul... :o

Philipsparker

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 10:26:55 am »

Talking of uprisings, I hear Police intelligence is forecasting major riots etc in the summer months to come, it seems they think, tensions will explode and anyone and his dog who do not normally join protests will do this time as they think the people have had enough of all the rubbish that is going on!

Lets see what happens eh, but, it really can't go on for much longer can it?

That's just Police scare mongering. They are preparing for a pay claim.

Anyway - assuming the population (who won't get off the sofa and miss Eastenders to go and vote) DO rise up. What do you propose to replace democracy with ? We haven't elected a competent or honest MP in this country for at last 60 years. Who is going to run the place ?

I suspect the best answer based on their current track record would be the Germans but we wouldn't like that. The Scandanavians are good, but as they say, you can have everything just like Finland as long as you are happy with 50% tax and 25% VAT...

Truth is that a lot of the stories you read in the press are wildly exaggerated or completely made up. Yes governments do screw up. Sometime people act with the best intentions and there are unexpected consequences (e.g. Osama's "right hand man" getting compensation for being imprisoned without charge. Would you want to allow the police to lock anyone away without charge ?) which cause a fuss. The newspapers & telly have no interest in reporting accurately. It costs too much, means lazy journalists have to get of their overpaid a**es and do some work but most importantly doesn't sell enough paper/advertising. If you need an example I refer you to the appalling MMR story - you are paying to sort this mess, not the media who made it all up.

Lets face it - none of us have to walk 5 miles to get water on a regular basis (unlike much of Africa). We don't live in fear of our lives because the authorities don't like our opinions(Unlike Zimbabwe, Russia, China). We have food(Africa again). If we get ill we go to hospital without thinking about the cost (unlike the USA). We can have an uprising but we have to give up all of this.

/rant

Phil

DARLEK1

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:41 pm »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, it is only something that has been reported.
 Paul... :o

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:00 pm »

Just realized why my post is always late.  O0

All my postmen, and I get a different one every day, are all Chinese.

Reckon the Post Office has out sourced the mail to China.

No wonder it takes so long to get here every day.  >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 01:14:42 pm »

We haven't elected a competent or honest MP in this country for at last 60 years. Who is going to run the place ?

I Believe Sir Fred  is available, to top up his small pension.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »

Postal deliveries have been getting later and less frequent basically because THEY dont want to pay for sorting to start early.  My local sorting office used to be a hive of activity from about 4:30AM, nowadays they dont get in the building before 7:00AM, and there are much much fewer of them.  Much sorting is done in remote centralised sorting offices by people who don't know the area.
It is vastly annoying when a letter or parcel gets mis delivered, it happened way back then, and probably moreso now, but semi-literate posties are not the only cause.  Look out for postcodes with letters and numerals transposed, look for semi legible addresses.  Look for town planners who planned estates with interleaving streets all with similar names.  Look for houses that cannot be identified because the number is the same colour as the door.
Knowing something of the scale of the operation and its history, the investment in the last 50 years would have bought Andorra and a large part of some of the smaller states.  The technical changes in that time have been enormous, the phrase "postal mechanisation" covers a mountain of effort and money, but mechanisation can never really replace doing it by hand when much of the stuff is hand generated in the first place.
For those who say that it needs privatising - go to, say, DHL, and ask them to take over.  If they had to create their own infrastructure, you wouldn't see their heels for dust.  If they took over the existing infrastructure, they would demand a subsidy that would make anybody's eyes water.  At the moment, in some circumstances, the private mail delivery companies, those who handle bulk mail, use the postal service to actually deliver the stuff to individual destinations.  Gradually building up a parcel handling service, starting as and where it is convenient and expanding as when it is convenient is one thing, providing a universal service, even one as patchy as the postal service has become, is a different ball game altogether, and just isn't going to happen.
The big difference between the previously privatised services and the postal service is that the previous ones have all been some form of pipeline that involved some physical input and a lot of accountancy.  Basically you are just picking whose accounts department gives the best deal.  Delivering mail, however, involves actually having people going out and delivering.
And it doesn't matter who you vote for.  The government still gets in, and things still go downhill.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 01:35:34 pm »

With the inevitable sell off of the post office and the resulting redundancy thousands of personnel increasing the ranks of unemployed still further which will in turn only fuel the fears of the middle/upper classes of the further increase in crime, (cos that what ya’s do when ya unemployed,  go out on the rob) a mean look at all the merchant bankers and retired CEO’s

Could this mean that the government will propose the compulsory wearing of some sort of badge by the now surplus to requirement under class section of the population, would be easy to spot on CCTV and make identification much easier during the high periods of civil unrest, surely.

I thought I’d get in first with some designs (and may make a few quid off the royalty). Anyways back to the design work, yellow star of David, already done, so that a non starter, then I thought about a black smiley face with white eyes and mouth, but could be construed as racist and no very pc. What about a grey cloud with a sad face!!, does’nt really promote the situational awareness does it.

What about something motorway sign style, say a guy in bed with 1.30pm above him or a guy slumped in front of day time tv, (cos that all ya’s unemployed do all day is’nt it).

Any ideas welcome, please send then in, (Small Print:  I assume all rights to ideas received).

Hey, how's about we return Blackpool into some sort of unemployed internment camp, like back in the war ( I mean if it was good enough for Adolf), before shipping out to some “final solution” somewhere.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »

Hey, how's about we return Blackpool into some sort of unemployed internment camp, like back in the war ( I mean if it was good enough for Adolf), before shipping out to some “final solution” somewhere.
That was the Isle of Man.  We got the civil service in Blackpool.  Come to think of it, you were near enough right in the first place.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

OMK

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 02:54:20 pm »

"What about something motorway sign style, say a guy in bed with 1.30pm above him or a guy slumped in front of day time tv, (cos that all ya’s unemployed do all day is’nt it)."

Do they? Blimey, you'd better not tell that to an unemployed pal of mine, then. She was a journalist for one of the local rags for years and years before they they gave her the elbow, replacing her with some younger floozy. I should imagine that being slumped in the sofa watching daytime TV is not her style. She would more probably get her kicks from correcting the awful grammar of some folk who sit at home all day whinging about the unemployed.
I guess it's fortunate that you are not a postman. In other words, re-read what you have just written (specifically, your punctuation), then let the connection what Malcolm had stated about semi-literacy sink into your bonce, then sit back and join the rest of us in a good giggle.  ;)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »

Just realized why my post is always late.  O0

All my postmen, and I get a different one every day, are all Chinese.

Reckon the Post Office has out sourced the mail to China.

I think I've got one of your letters DD.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »

PMK you obviously don't do satire ;D
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Philipsparker

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

That was the Isle of Man.  We got the civil service in Blackpool.  Come to think of it, you were near enough right in the first place.
If you get a free holiday on the Isle of Man I'm up for it. Can I go during the Model Boat Festival and Transport Weeks please ?

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/sets/72157605810662262/

Phil

Hagar

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:03 pm »

The postal service in Denmark is not much better either.
Normal domestic post normally turns up ar around 14:00hrs. Parcel post? sometimes in the day some times at six in the evening. "Parcel delivery slips" in the letterbox, are a common thing to.
I have taken the matter up on three occasions with the post master.
Once while waiting for a package, I watched the post man go from the van put a slip in the box and go back to the van. His face was a picture when he found me waiting at the van asking why he had not tried to deliver the parcel.

On a good note I have now opened a 24hr drop box, så I can pick up parcels when I want to and not when the PO is open!!

Canadian mail!!! Sent an e-mail to a guy in Canada 23:00 (european time) with my postal addy. monday night! Wednesday the letter was in my post box when I came home from work! Beat that!!!!

OMK

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 09:41:04 pm »

"PMK you obviously don't do satire"

I do, I do... but only the clever sort of satire -- not the sort designed to spin a cheap laugh at the expense of lesser fortunates.
For some reason you really are down on unemployed folk, aren't you? You made mention of them no less than three times in your previous post. Why, wassup? Do you really believe that our postie boys and gals are heading for a life of crime if they should find themselves out of a job?
Why not put the same question to your postman/postlady the next time you see him/her.
By the by, you forgot to include a comma between 'PMK' and 'you'... and also a full-stop at the end of your sentence.

Good luck with your M'way signs.  :kiss:

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 12:19:04 am »

Nothing much surprises me these days, and it wouldn't surprise me if some faceless “pampered all their lives silver spoon up the a55, no concept of unemployment” Whitehall bureaucrats haven't thought of the idea of state sponsored euthanasia. I mean forget it if you’re already dying of some painful mind numbing wasting disease, you could end up in prison!!

Despite we British inventing the concentration camp in the first place, they’d still probably go and do some data gathering exercise/field trip to the Auschwitz and Belsen (and had a bl**dy good time to boot) at the taxpayer’s expense.

They'd probably work out it would so much cheaper to send them to existing facilities than building similar camps back here in Blighty along with the added bonus of utilising any remaining local expertise. Anyway only foreign companies would be allowed to run them in the first place, but they would still get concessions from the British government.

Then there's the added benefit of voluntary work and the worth of mental well being of active participation of doing a job well done, as everyone would get a chance of loading the crematoria. Just a few more watch towers and machine gun nests (probably manned by Al-Qaeda as way of an apology for the way we've f***d up the Middle East) is all that would be needed to keep “em at it”, the occasional shouts of “Speedo Speedo” may need to be barked out in order that Government targets are met.

I mean we've now got the Channel Tunnel, right, you'd be there in a few hours, just picture the scene, a sad cold & wet family look on as their repossessed home is boarded over by "The Nationalised Bank" special operatives squad, to join the rest of semi derelict unoccupied properties, and before they've had a chance for it all to sink in, they're whisked off then stripped of any further valuables they may have left before being ushered into a nice warm shower "what's that funny smell?? daddy". :-))

Roger in France

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 07:17:36 am »

In view of the obscene bestiality which Hitler's concentration camps represent and the extermination and degradation which countless innocent victims expereinced I take strong exception to that subject being used as satire, irony, humour or to illustrate dubious points of argument.

Roger in France
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.