Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: corel endeavour  (Read 6348 times)

dtbanks

corel endeavour
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »

<:(Corel model of “the Endeavour”

My wife made enquiries regarding a model of the Endeavour for my Christmas gift knowing that I had made several such wooden models and enjoyed making them. This particular model was the one recommended by my model shop .
Since starting the model I have encountered several frustrations which I have never found to such an extent in many other similar models :
a)      When trial fitting the frames to the keel, it became evident that the slots to locate the frames to the keel were all of different height meaning that the top of the frames were not in line. This had to be remedied by modifying them so that the frames lined up vertically. However of more concern was the fact that the actual frames were not symmetrical and so considerable modification was required to make them match the drawings.
b)      After the above modifications were made, the initial softwood planking fitted well after soaking and with the use of the plank bender.
c)      Problems really started when I came to use the dark wood  provided for the outer  planking. Whether soaked or not this wood invariably split everytime a pin was used to secure it . This was especially so where the planks had to be tapered at the bow leaving a narrower plank. It is obvious that such is the shape of this hull that the planks require bending and pinning until the glue was dry . However this was very difficult given the nature of the wood provided  .
d)      The problems with this wood continued with it’s use.     Many of the wooden strips are made of this wood which is very hard and brittle.    Consequently cutting it presents a problem. A scalpel is not strong enough. Craft knives (of different sizes)  or a small hacksaw result in it splitting. Soaking the wood causes it to take on a porridge –like consistency and crumble when attempts are made to cut it. In all ways it is most unsatisfactory .
e)      Strips of flexible wood are provided for the handrails and tops of the bulwarks. This becomes very pliable when soaked but after fixing and drying the wood became fibrous and split apart. Consequently there was not enough of this to complete the areas where it is required.
f)        “L” shaped section wood was provided for the steps on the hull side. Whilst   presenting the same problem as the other dark wood, there was  not enough to complete the steps .
g)      On completing the instructions for the making of the transom, it says “ bend slightly to fit”. Unfortunately the casting for the windows is made flat so it is not possible to bend the transom even slightly.  Removing the window and attempting to gently bend this resulted in it snapping. 
Mid January I spoke to my  model shop ,who contacted, their supplier and importer.
The importer suggested that I speak to them directly on the telephone.
This I did, speaking to a person called Andrew, and while he agreed to send me the missing pieces of wood, the conversation was most unsatisfactory and I was made to feel that the problem was all mine, something which, as someone who has made models for over 40 years I do not appreciate.  The fact that I mentioned not having these problems before and had used Billing model kits (among others) as well as "scratch-building"  led him to say that I had better stick to Billings even though they were bad kits! I did point out to him that however bad he thinks they may be, my personal experience of this kit was worse, and it was this kit that I was discussing! ( In hindsight I would be more than happy to take his advice)
He told me that he had a plank in front of him and had pushed a pin through it without it splitting. I pointed out to him that that was a pointless exercise as when I did the same and my plank split.
Apparently I am somewhat unique as he told me that I am the only person in 30 years to complain about a Corel kit .I did counter by saying that in 40 years this was the only kit that has ever given me reason to complain!
He did however agreed to send me some “L” shaped and flexible wood to make it possible to complete these sections . (this still has not arrived after over a month.)
He also said that as all wood is different I must have a bad batch.
Phase 2  (31 Jan)
Having persevered with the hull I started to make the deck fittings.
Fine until I came to make the belfry  (Part 65 on the drawing)
There is no reference whatsoever in the instructions to the belfry. The only reference to part 65 ( as it is shown on the plans)  says “fix the binnacle and it’s plastic cover”  The Endeavour doesn’t have a binnacle! 
It shows the belfry on the drawings as made from 5x5 wood. There is not any in the kit.
My model shop kindly provided me with some, but now I find the bell is also missing.
Another example of  what I am told is the fabulous quality of Corel kits?
Feb 1st
The wood in the kit is in lengths of  approx 57cms.
There is only one piece of  5x2, 2x3, and 3x3 in the kit
Not enough 5x2 to complete pin rails;
Not enough 2x3 to complete edging for deck gratings;
Not enough 4x4 to complete swivel gun mounts;
No 2x1 to edge platforms when deadeyes fitted.
Walnut board “strips for the masts” 1x3 – there isn’t any!

Feb 2nd
As the promised wood has still not arrived, My retailer agreed to telephone Euromodels regarding this and the missing ships bell etc. They also gave me some 2x3,3x3 and 5x2  to enable completion of pin rails etc.
We  discussed advising any future purchasers of Corel kits to do an inventory of parts prior to starting the model. On returning home I decided to check out parts needed from the instruction manual and found that there were 11 belaying pins short.

Feb 4th
Commenced fixing of chain plates. Some of the small castings were broken, and the wire loops were very badly corroded, consequently I had to make new ones with brass wire.
Realised that plywood cut pieces for mizzen shrouds had five slots for the deadeyes – why? There are only four mizzen shrouds!
Instructions state  that the deadeyes are : “ then held in position by  the 1x2 boards glued to the side of the channels” – there isn’t any 2x1 ( see above) .

Feb 11th
Started construction of masts.
 “strips for the masts “ according to parts list are  1x3 walnut board, although plans say 0.5x3  , however either is academic – there isn’t any of either  (see above) .
Metal castings for mast bases very poor, mainmast base broken but repairable, mizzen mast  base totally disintegrated and is unusable.

Feb 25h
Promised wood and missing parts still not received.. Have scratch built the steps and handrails.
Ordered belaying pins and blocks to replace those in the kit ( v.poor) from an internet company and these arrived within two days. Well done! It’s a pity that the importer of this kit doesn’t work like this.
 >>:-( >>:-(

Photo Added - not dtbanks model!

amdaylight

Re: corel endeavour
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:28:18 pm »

I am very sorry to hear of your problems, but I also have the very same opinion of Corel Models, poor wood, poor quality fittings, things missing, lousy instructions, parts don't fit right and absolutely no support from the manufacture. The importer is selling kits not building kits so of course the Corel kits are greatest thing kits ever and everyone else's kit is junk, I think the outer hull planking if it is a dark color it is walnut which is a difficult wood to bend, cut or other wise work with. I have built a few of the Corel kits for other people when they got into them and found out that they were in over their head and usually ending up replacing about 1/4 of the kit's wood due to poor quality. Good luck on your build.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

stuarts2

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:12:14 pm »

Hi
I to have built a coral kit the HMS Victory took me three years to build but did not have the problem's you have encountered the walnut strips I put into boiling water to make them soft and worked very well seems to me you had end of day box >>:-(not doing there job right.
I did not like the sawdust moulded parts very much but with care did work and looked good.
I can understand your frustration and feel coral should take better care and in prove there service as words do get round very quickly
I would buy a coral kit again if needed but would make dam sure all parts and wood are in good condition before starting.
good luck with the build.

plugger

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:42:51 am »

Hi,

I also have built the Corel Endeavour. I did not have the problems with the planks splitting. I soaked them first, then shaped them with a hot clothes iron. Supported the planks when gluing with planking screws rather than nailing. I had trouble with bending anything over 1mm thick. I guess laminating thinner pieces would produce a better and easier result.
I also found the slots on the bulkheads needed to be opened out. Instructions are ordinary. Metal fittings broke readily.
I did not have problems with the amount of material supplied.
I have Corels Victory about 1/3 built - lost interest when encountered problems. One day I will finish (maybe....)

I do not think I will buy another of Corels kits. JoKita and Victory models are far far superior, with an expanding range.

David

stuarts2

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »

david what problems have you come to on the victory may be i can help   :-)

plugger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:02 am »

stuarts2,
I got to the stage of the stern galleries and the bows. they are supposed to have a slight curve in them, but the pieces supplied are too rigid. I have attempted to install them, but gave up. Maybe I will invest in a bit of filler,and paint the model instead of the usual varnish. I am also wary of the sawdust mouldings, so have not touched them yet.

But the Victory is on the shelf for a while. I need to complete JoTika's HMS Snake, then have Victory's HMS Fly waiting, plus a research/plan development. Also am thinking about going into Admiralty type plank on frame building.

dtbanks

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:11 am »

Plugger, the problem with the stern galleries on the Victory seem to be the same as the stern windows on the Endeavour. They seem to be diecast  and so will not bend. It's interesting that when I brought up this problem on my phone call to the importer he told me  :" metal doesn't bend" - I thanked him for telling me this fact as I have rebuilt two classic cars and assured him that most metal certainly does bend! %%
Die cast however doesn't!
Incidentally as a result of my experiences and a few other problems, my model shop is no longer using this supplier :-))

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:31 am »

Many of these wooden kit manufacturers are notoriously bad in terms of accuracy, materials quality and instructions (Billing Boats, Caldercraft/Jotika, Victory and Model Slipway are among the exceptions). A lot of them are substantially inferior in terms of detail, historical and dimensional accuracy to plastic kits of the same subject (for example, other than the excellent Caldercraft kit, I don't think there are any HMS Victory wooden kits which come within a mile of the Heller/Airfix 1/100 kit in any of these respects). Generally I'd steer clear of them unless you're prepared to do a fair amount of extra scratchbuilding/kitbashing work, and have some decent reference material for the subject as well as a good supply of wood, metal and styrene stock!

Constructo are perhaps the worst. I bought a part-built example of their 1/96 steam trawler "Ladysmith" kit on eBay, and it ended up as more of a semi-scratchbuild than a kit build; many of the kit parts are so crude, inaccurate or badly made that it's easier to scratchbuild them (the trawl davits, for example), the quality of the wood is rather dubious, and the instructions poor (though you do get a full-size plan sheet, which helps a lot) For the £20 I paid for it, it was worthwhile as a basis for a "kitbash", but at the £75+ RRP it's a complete ripoff in my opinion. A particularly annoying "feature" of Constructo kits is that almost all the metal parts are hard, brittle zinc castings rather than brass or white metal/pewter, making them very hard to work with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.