Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lattice masts - how do you drive the radar scanners ?  (Read 3547 times)

pugwash

lattice masts - how do you drive the radar scanners ?
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »

Having had advice from you all about getting plans for battle class conversion destroyer - I have just about finished a half reasonable set of working plans
and now realise the radars on these warships are out on sponsons or at the masthead and there appears to be no way to get a driveshaft to the radar
sets on the end of these platforms.   Also the masthead type 965 radar can't be connected to the superstructure without a very obvious driveshaft up
to middle of the  mast.  I'm sure someone must have worked out a way - if so could they pass me the details - I have got radar waveguides leading up
the mast and I could make these out of hollow box section to enclose a very narrow drive shaft but what appears to be the answer is a micro Universal
joint - is such a beast made?  I'm not an engineer so I could not make them myself
This is only my second model and it may be a bit ambitious - the foremast alone has over 200 separate pieces of brass to solder.
Any ideas please
Pugwash

Rex Hunt

Re: lattice masts - how do you drive the radar scanners ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:15 pm »

Have a look at the motors on here.......

http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/storepro5/agora.cgi?

Small size even with gearbox.........can be hidden as Radar drive plinth!

2 wires only up the wave guide.

Rex

TCC

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:54:39 pm »

How about a drive shaft up one corner of the lattice to a bevel gear, then have a larger bevel gear in the centre of the platform atop the lattice, of course, the radar head is atop the axle, the BG at the bottom. These gears at the top could be enclosed in a hollow box of some kind.

Get Bevel gears that could be used at any angles.

It's either that or a pulley wheel & band system up there. I think you may have trouble with the band slipping off with this set up... especially if the pulleys aren't square to each other.

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

Thank you both for your suggestions - I like the idea of the micro motor and gearbox - I can use it on one of the larger radar arrays
which has a larger base unit to hide the motor, but unfortunately once the gearbox is attached they are too  big for the small radars.
Have you used the company to buy any of their motors - I see they are based in the states is it any problem getting stuff sent to UK.
Ive never bought from outside UK yet.
TCC got me thinking about fitting a series of gearwheels under the lip of the platform possibly as many as 5 to let the power be transferred
from a driveshaft hidden in the waveguide across the the radar scanner

Pugwash

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 02:52:10 pm »

Rip an old pc cd drive apart,small motors and cogs etc.
Mark

Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »

Has anyone ever tried makig a miniature flexible drive using stranded steel rigging wire or aeroplane control line down a bit a electrical ptfe sleeving?

wideawake

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »

Has anyone ever tried makig a miniature flexible drive using stranded steel rigging wire or aeroplane control line down a bit a electrical ptfe sleeving?

I was wondering about that approach but using standard "snakes" as used by the flyboys between servos and control surfaces.   

HTH

Guy

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:02:15 pm »

I have got a few cogs from when we scrapped our last computer  - Ive got a nephew who works on pcs he is always scrapping them
I'll badger him for his scrap.   
Sorry I'm not into the model plane world but what is a "snake" in that context
But please keep the ideas coming - one of them will be the solution in the end

Pugwash

wideawake

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 12:19:36 pm »

I have got a few cogs from when we scrapped our last computer  - Ive got a nephew who works on pcs he is always scrapping them
I'll badger him for his scrap.   
Sorry I'm not into the model plane world but what is a "snake" in that context
But please keep the ideas coming - one of them will be the solution in the end

Pugwash

A snake is like a miniature Bowden cable.  Fine wire rope or a flexible plastic rod inside and a slippery plastic outer sheath.  Available in several thicknesses.  I'm not into r/c planes either but came across these things when nosing around a model shop.  I made a note that they would be useful in some circumstances where getting a push rod to work might be difficult.

One source is here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=12

HTH

Guy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:48 pm »

Scroll down to Micro motors.

http://www.3smr.co.uk/motors.html
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »

Thank you both for your suggestions - I like the idea of the micro motor and gearbox - I can use it on one of the larger radar arrays
which has a larger base unit to hide the motor, but unfortunately once the gearbox is attached they are too  big for the small radars.
Have you used the company to buy any of their motors - I see they are based in the states is it any problem getting stuff sent to UK.
Ive never bought from outside UK yet.
TCC got me thinking about fitting a series of gearwheels under the lip of the platform possibly as many as 5 to let the power be transferred
from a driveshaft hidden in the waveguide across the the radar scanner

Pugwash

Bought 4 from them with no problems....paid the International way (Paypal) quick 'n easy

Rex

andygh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »

I always use rubber or silicon tube for tiny universal joints, dead easy

pugwash

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:40:28 pm »

Thanks for the latest ideas - I like the silicon tubing idea - nice thing is you can experiment with it before you fit it on.
As for the micromotors website I thought it was great - I quite liked all their miniature pulleys and drive belts.
Ive got a few good ideas to try now.
Pugwash
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.