Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transport of models with Mobility scooter  (Read 12247 times)

Damien

Transport of models with Mobility scooter
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:10 am »

Having made application to join Surrey Park Model boat club, came the challenge of getting models to the lake via mobility scooter on 2 trains.
This is what i concocted, it makes the scooter about 230mm or 9" longer but the seat will slide forward about 4"
Scooters & wheel chairs are accomodated in the first compartment of our trains only, as the driver has to place a ramp for access to us, it's a squeeze when 4 scooters/w-chairs are on at the same time.
My scooter  50km per charge top weight 205kg  my weight 115kg plenty left for models.

To start i made a fully enclosed carry box for my Sub chaser from a discarded cardboard box (fridge) I fibreglassed all inside corners with 450gsm mat with just resin on the outsides.
My scooter has a 30mm sq tube below the seat for attaching a basket so i bought the next size down and some 19 x 2 mm angle plus 19 x 2 mm flat, so i made a frame a snug fit for the box to sit in.

It took some effort to get the angle where most of the boat box was encompassed in the width of the scooter, there is also a brace that is anchored by the left hand bar of the head rest.

My Seaport tug box will replace the front basket and won't increase the scooter length.

Finished and loaded for test run to Maccas for dinner about 4km round trip to find out if i need to beef up any fittings. ie. Y gun depth charge launcher made of brass and epoxied to the deck, the main reason for the fully enclosed box , any bits that fall off won't be lost.
The Sub chaser is secured within the box with velcro over some 19mm flat steel with some stiff foam tween steel and hull as the pic's show the boat sits on her stern on a foam pad.

Presently working on frame for Seaport the box is done, will continue build and pics as i go.

Damien.

Roger in France

Re: Transport of models with Mobility scooter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:15 am »

Ingenious, Damien. Well done.

I can imagine many fully mobile modellers lacking your persistence. Keep up the commentary, please.

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:08:20 am »

Ingenious and very well done..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:43 am »

Clever!
Extra rum ration tonight!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:28:01 pm »

Admirable!

Can it be adapted to fire Exocets?

Weeds

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:16:01 pm »

So well done you could start selling these cargo things!

das boot

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:07 pm »

Nicely thought out and constructed sir, my 'ex' er indoors is a wheelchair pilot, it's amazing the stuff she has carried on her powered chair. At one time when I had my foot in plaster she managed to carry my Engel USS Patrick Henry sub from the car to the lake on her chair...that was big and heavy.

Well done... :-))

Rich

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »

Brilliant.   :-))  Where theres a will, theres a way.
Alan.

Damien

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:55:45 am »

Admirable!

Can it be adapted to fire Exocets?

Possibly Colin though i'm sure it would breach our gun laws, my name is not James B.

The road tests  (did another longer one this morning) went well with no bits falling off, just the battery jumped out of it's cradle and was prevented from moving far by the Speed400 motor, I will carry the batteries separately in future.
I received my letter of acceptance to the Surrey park mbc, I really looking forward to sunday. And Yes i'll  take pic's or get someone else too.

T h a n k s  f o r  a l l  t h e  k i n d  w o r d s  f e l l o w  M a y h e m e r s  

Damien

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54:34 pm »

I recently purchased a Small catamaran 600mm x 285mm so the Seaport tug is on hold so i've started on a box for the front of my scooter,
the front carry basket just lifts off so i made a steel frame to bolt to the box this time i decided to make the box from fibreglass sheet rather than resin coated cardboard, my method was use 3mm MDF slightly larger than the bottom of the box, cover with overlapped 50mm sticky tape, the sticky tape is used  because polyester resin won't stick to it although it does wrinkle somewhat (nothing car bog and stop putty can't fix) i then used 3 layers of 250gsm chopped strand mat, with just enough resin to wet the mat, for the box sides i plan to use a glass window louvre, well waxed with mould release wax to lay 4 layers of 250gsm chopped strand mat upon.
First pic.
Sitting in place on the scooter.

The 4 round conical tubes on the bottom house the rudders and keel fins these wrap around the scooter steering keeping the overall length to a minimum, this project is keeping the grey matter working.

Any guesses as to what i used to mould the rudder and fin tubes ?  Hint the moulds are sacrificed to retrieve the finished items hence 4 were required.
And this next pic shows the mount bracket bolted in place.

this 4th pic shows the Cat sitting in her box.

Presently waiting on more resin to arrive before moving on, more pic's as i have more to show.

Damien

TCC

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:34:53 am »

Nicely thought out and constructed sir, my 'ex' er indoors is a wheelchair pilot, it's amazing the stuff she has carried on her powered chair. At one time when I had my foot in plaster she managed to carry my Engel USS Patrick Henry sub from the car to the lake on her chair...

Your cook, lover, cleaner... and when you l;eave the house she'll carry your boat to the lake! What a gal! They don't make 'em like that anymore. :-)

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:40:53 am »

Damien,  On a different tack, can you give any details of the catamaran, please.   I have been searching high and low with no success.   Thanks, Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Damien

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:38:33 pm »

Hi Pete details are.
Gemini 600 cat # BY0602 by Beili Models, Nanjing China
www.beilimodel.com

tech specs.

Length 600mm
Width  285mm
Height 1100mm
Sail area 1700mm 2
Motor 380 class, ESC with BEC and a 7'2v 1000mA pack of 2/3AA cells
Radio 3ch FM  Rudder on right stick, Motor on left stick, Sail control via finger lever on left rear of Tx. 8 AA cells req'd for Tx.

My model was an ex hobby shop display model and from the amount of damage i'm still repairing every sod and his dog has played with it in the shop.
Pic of the box.

I hope this info is helpful.
Damien

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:51:50 pm »

Damien,   Very many thanks,  Pete
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Damien

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »

Pete
Forget that web site it is correct from the back of the instructions, however all i get is what appears to be search engine.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 12:41:21 am »

Did some googling and found their web site it only shows 2 yachts though.
http://www.beilimodel.cn/english/jiszc.asp

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:15 pm »

Been a bit slow on progress i ran out of resin and the  courier lost the first lot funny enough the driver had both parcels  when he delivered the second said he delivered to wrong address first time ""yeah good story""
Any way my scooter developed an electrical fault and it's been at the dealer a week now and i'm stuck until scooter comes back to finish the box.
As no one ventured a guess at what i used for the moulds for the keel fins and rudders, i'll tell  i walked into a local golden arches and asked for 4 small drink cups they're wax coated and needed no preperation before laying up chopped strand mat and poly resin.
After the resin cured the paper cups were peeled off, i measured thedistance transons to rudder pivot and rudder pivot centre to keel fin centre and drew the positions on the box bottom and cut 4 holes with a 50mm hole saw, then enlaged the holes with a  drum sander in my dremel. More tomorrow.
Damien

Damien

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 10:56:51 pm »

I made an error in the distance between the rudder and fin centre lines putting them 10mm too close together, i got around this with my Dremel, I cut a portion out of two cups and elongated them as seen in this pic.

I found with the lid in place and model inside wasn't stable on just four feet and tended to over balance, with a cardboard paper towel centre and some balsa two extra feet were made, I had to be careful of placement so they cleared the handle bar of the scooter.

Lid in place the box is now ready for primer.

As you can probably see I really enjoy the thought and construction that accompanies a modelling hobby.

As as any of you who've had radiation treatment to the brain already know, keeping the mind active is really extremely important. So I do.

Damien. 

mook

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »

I really admire your perseverance, keep it up  O0

andyn

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »

Looks like a great solution to a big problem to me :-))

iDENTITi

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 11:40:56 pm »

That's pretty awesome.  Keep up the good work :)

Acero

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:07 am »

It is an eye-catching motor wheelchair. There are many works done by using this scooter. I am really amazed with the multitasking abilities of this scooter.

rockets

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:00 pm »

That scooter is starting to look more and more like some kind of urban assault vehicle!

Good on yer for 'adapting and overcoming'

Rockets.

karls

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 12:57:20 am »

Looks cool you just need some armor..  :-))

mattycoops43

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:15 am »

Brilliant idea! I have to say the box on the back is very reminiscent of the box on Johnny 5's back in short circuit 2! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.