Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst job I ever had was....  (Read 5267 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Worst job I ever had was....
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »

Saturday boy in a butchers... I could only take it for one day! :((

Having to clear off the desk of mad but brilliant kleptomaniac IT manager when he went on holidays.
Always a huge roar when he came back.  >:-o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nhp651

Re: Worst job I ever had was....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:09:15 pm »

As a student, back in the late sixtie's I had a job with the local council. When the tide was in and high up I used to chip old tar off the cobble setts that came from the old cobble streets. When the tide was out I'd go onto the sea wall and cement the setts into holes in the sea wall. When the tide came in and went out again..I'd go back onto the sea wall and replace all the cobbles that the sea had washed out.Don't know about the worst job, but it was definately pointless at times.
When it was too wet I'd cut the points onto the greenheart piles with an adze that went to make the sea wall groins.
Sun, sea and setts!!
what more could a lad of 17 ask for.lol {-) {-) {-) {-)

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »

Whilst out of work, 1963 no work locally
I took a job driving for Mitty's tripe, Hmm nice clean job delivering nice white tripe, Non!

First you need to collect the tripe's and cow heels and the rest of the unmentionable stuff comming out of cows and shovel it into a large van at the Stanley abattoir every morning and some days in the afternoons from  Bidston abattoir, in summer, can you believe the smell. I bet you can't!

"When a vacancy comes you move to deliveries"... HA! and some where in there were pigs stuff to do as well..

whilst you waited in the abattoir you could watch the poor cows being 'done in' a few moments later "there you go mate that's yours"
ferried it back T'mill where it was sorted [me] tripe's/feet/rubbish again shovelled into rendering machine, like a concrete mixer [wagon] which boiled and cooked the resulting mess,
in the morning there was a bucket or two of tallow to go to British paints, The tripe's having been cooked yesterday and bleached overnight, then was washed in running water for a day then went through the front door, luverly, no more they ain't]

Then Off to the abattoir again,............. I stuck it 10 days and don't even look at cows unless in a field or on my plate cooked.. 
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:04:51 pm »

Now that title reminds me very much of my first trip to sea listening to Derick and Clive Live in the officers bar.  One of the more memorable sketches was "The Worst Job I Ever Had" and that's about as much of it as I can repeat on a family forum!!

Great stuff and about as politically incorrect as you could be in the mid 70's.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

OMK

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »

Derek & Clive?
Ha! NOW you're cooking!

You're right - it's probably best not to go into detail. (Neither the tale about Churchill's secret collection.)

Have you been hanging out with FLJ, perchance?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:42:14 pm »

Derek & Clive?
Have you been hanging out with FLJ, perchance?

OK. The worst job I ever had was as a Customs VAT Officer. It only lasted for 31 years, though.
The Arch Dude is perhaps alluding to the time I recounted to him of the time I dropped in to one of my tea spots - a service garage - to find the place totally empty. We are talking Marie Celeste here. The kettle had recently boiled (I was trained to spot such details) and the post had not been collected. I left the workshop for a walk round the premises, went around to the rear of the shop and couldn't help but notice three backsides sticking out from underneath the bonnet ("hood") of a Mk2 Jaguar.
These three botties were quaking in unison. On approaching closer, I heard the dulcet tones of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in a most unfamiliar guise.
I approached to listen............and left two hours later, still wet with laughter.
OK - so Derek and Clive was/is crude, filthy, unsubtle etc etc - but it was the most memorable morning I had in those 31 years!
Jayne Mansfield - eat your heart out.
FLJ

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:13 am »

"Oh ma dearest Flo, I love you so..........."

I still know quite a bit of it off by heart after all these years, it left a lasting impression on a fresh faced young green engineer cadet.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:10:02 am »

As a trainee Inspector of Weights and Measures I remember visits to the local abattoirs as the part of the job I hated the most.

Two things: first, going down into the weighbridge pit to examine the levers and knife edges while a labourer kept a shimmering tide of maggots at the other end of the pit with a large broom! The other was unfortunate timing by being there when a ritual sacrifice by a religious leader was being performed.

Roger in France

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:00 am »

... on my first period of training as a plumber. Due cold winter-times they send all the trainees for service when drainpipes had been frozen and broken. You have to inform the occupants of the building not to go on the loo or let any water run, be cause the drain-system is open. Not all kept it for about 2 or 3 hours...
You prayed for mild winters or the mercy of one of the companions, that they need you and take you with at the building lot.
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:07:30 am »

Once, I took a temporary job shoving components into circuit boards and soldering them up. Having come from a much more technically challenging career, this 'fill in job' just about cooked my brain. It wasn't the repetetiveness of circuit board constuvtion which finished me.... it was sitting there with a bunch of women which done my head in!! I couldn't work alongside women in that kind of environment again, I was there six months, it taught me a lot about women in the workplace >>:-( :embarrassed: %% <*< :kiss:.... never again!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 12:49:17 pm »

I spent most of my working life doing something I really enjoyed, and apart from occasional short bursts of discomfort I can't really say there was anything that was an off-put.  Until the firm caught up with me and sideways "promote" me into a control office. 
Four years of fairly pure misery, thankfully relieved by the rest of the lads in the control. 
Even there, the bits I remember are the high spots.  One of which - towards the end, we got word that everybody who had "volunteered" for early retirement had got it.  A lunchtime in the local real ale bar followed.  Hobgoblin and Bishops Finger and suchlike were consumed, along with other stuff with nice labels and silly names.
That afternoon, the manager decided we were to have a briefing.  This was in a spare office the floor down in an otherwise deserted building at the other end of a 70 odd yard long corridor.  Half the staff to go at a time to keep the control operational.  About seven or eight experienced (i.e. physical age 40+ to 50+, mental age after the pub about 12) Senior Technicians with our clerical assistant, a tall, blond, comely wench of about 22 summers leading the way.  She walked into the room followed by us lot, all shuffling along on our knees doing the "Hi-Ho" song.  The look on the managers face when he raised his head out of his hands said that he knew he should have known better.  He knew that we knew we had 90 days to go.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

das boot

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 02:13:42 pm »

Whilst trying(and failing)to save my first marriage, I came off long distance driving and went to work in the local Birds Eye factory. For 12 hours a night I sat right up high on a machine watching miles of pastry trundle past, now and again it got exciting when I had to push a button...absobloodylutely rivetting.   :((

I phoned up my old boss and asked for my old job back, a week later I was loaded up and en route for Southern Ireland.   :-))

The marriage failed...miserably.  :-))  :-))

Rich

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:59:29 pm »

PMK And the story of Jane Mansfield and parrots ring a bell?
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

Worst Job I had was selling football programmes at one of the Big local teams.

The programmes cost £1.50 and you got 5p of everyone sold,
If 1 was missing then you had to pay the full value

You were told how many you had in the bag (normally 500/600)
so then when you went back to cash up they counted how much you made had and how many
programmes you had left. You were not allowed to check the figures before you left so when
you got back they could of been doing you out of money lasted 2 days and told them how
and where to stick their job. <*< <*<

OMK

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »

"PMK And the story of Jane Mansfield and parrots ring a bell?"

Sure does. As does the little ditty about Aunty Mabel and her mangle.
I'd love to listen to the whole album again, but for the life of me I don't where it ended up or what became of mine.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:08 pm »

PMK And the story of Jane Mansfield and parrots ring a bell?

Lobsters!!

(I shall search my own small crevices for my copy..............)

FLJ

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

Once, I took a temporary job shoving components into circuit boards and soldering them up. Having come from a much more technically challenging career, this 'fill in job' just about cooked my brain. It wasn't the repetetiveness of circuit board constuvtion which finished me.... it was sitting there with a bunch of women which done my head in!! I couldn't work alongside women in that kind of environment again, I was there six months, it taught me a lot about women in the workplace >>:-( :embarrassed: %% <*< :kiss:.... never again!

Very similar ! On my one and only attempt at swallowing the anchor I got a job on permanent night shift (1700 - 0100) at Ranks film laboratory, with the high sounding title of neg breakdown technician. It consisted mainly of sitting in front of a light box with two turntables either side, you collected a new batch of film cans from the 'in' rack and place one on the left table and threaded the end onto an empty bobbin on the other. After entering a new title (eg Martini - Balloons ) on that customers card you then wizzed through the roll and noted the edge numbers at the start and end of every take. You didn't actually see a picture as the filmed crossed the light box only a blur, but I was taught how to recognise the particular blur as the clapper boy leaned into the shot and out again at which point you jammed the brakes on (your left elbow) back tracked and noted the last edge number of the previous take and the start of the next. On completion you wrote the title and the first and last edge numbers on sticky pink tape and stuck it round the can edge and put them in the customers rack, then off to the 'in' rack and start again  %% My shift overlapped the girls on day shift and like sheerline I learned a lot about women in the workplace ! I stuck it for eighteen months and was finding that I had to stop and think to add two and two together - well not literally, but you know what I mean !- After that I answered an ad for Wimpey as a hydrographic surveyor (agent) and started on my journey back to the big blue sea  O0

Mike

OMK

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 09:57:03 am »

Nice tale, Mike. But unlike you and Sheerline, my one and only experience of working with women turned out to be a blast. Up until then I always considered it a bit unmanly and a bit poncy to be working with woman, but it was nothing like that at all. They were like a bunch of rampant rabbits and maintenence work in some grotty factory suddenly become a joy.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 01:52:36 pm »

And you've got the scratches to prove it ??  %) %)

Mike

PS No offence meant to the female members of MBM  {:-{

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

When I was a trainee Inspector of Weights and Measures the Inspector I was working with told me one day that we were going to inspect a plant which packed cooking flour. He said to me, "No matter what the women say to you just ignore them and concentrate on the job we have to do".

We entered the site and I saw several rows of women sitting along packing lines covered in flour, checking the packets, folding down the tops and glueing them closed. The language and suggestive remarks made my hair curl. After we left I asked the Inspector about the warning he had given me. He explained that one of his previous assistants had back chatted the women and so they upended him on the packing line and powdered his parts with self-raising flour!

Roger in France

chingdevil

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 02:07:24 pm »

In the early 70's I worked for a pipe fitting company and we had a contract to fit a new compressed air line around machines at a factory that made diecast cars, yes that one. On the first day we walked into the production hall full of women, that was one of the scariest times I have ever had at work, most of what went on I can not say on the forum needless to say you did not work alone and you did your trousers up tighter.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »

they upended him on the packing line and powdered his parts with self-raising flour!

And did it work?  :o

catengineman

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:56 pm »

they upended him on the packing line and powdered his parts with self-raising flour!

And did it work?  :o
I knew if I waitted some one would ask  {-)

R,

Roger in France

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 05:09:40 pm »

....and I knew there would be at least one who had to ask!!!!

There is a sequel.......the manager of this packing plant was the only male in the place.....some time later he was caught in flagrenti with the bulk flower delivery drayman in the rear of the premises!

Roger in France

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »

Don't you just hate being caught like that?!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.