Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst job I ever had was....  (Read 5266 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Worst job I ever had was....
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 05:29:50 pm »

OK I'm not going to labour the point but until you have been inside 60 ton sewage treatment tanks trying to clear the pump filters because the whole lot is backing up you haven't lived!!  The level was right on the top of my wellies and every now and then I could feel it over flowing into them!!

It took days to get rid of the smell.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »

OK I'm not going to labour the point but until you have been inside 60 ton sewage treatment tanks trying to clear the pump filters because the whole lot is backing up you haven't lived!!  The level was right on the top of my wellies and every now and then I could feel it over flowing into them!!

It took days to get rid of the smell.

I take it, it was a Sh@t job   :}

catengineman

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »

STP's are not the worse I have had the missfortune to grace, though rodding out a blockage only to find there is NO WHERE to escape the onslaught of Poo coming your way because the ship has rolled! it will wash off and you get left to eat alone and no one comes near with any more jobs for the rest of the trip.
but repairing a heston bailer in the middle of a field during a very hot day (ideal bailing weather apparently) then finding that just about every creepy crawly has had lunch (YOU) along with the cuts inflicted by chaff, ears of whatever getting int your ears and some ugly rodent type things that seem to want to hide INSIDE your clothes, now mix all the above with sweat until a sort of goo paste which can enter your pores, breath in the dust and bits. Job done climb out from within the workings and spend about two weeks on tablets to make you feel better and reduce the strange rash making your whole skin feel like 40 grit sand paper and you feel like your wearing that same 40 grit as clothes

Hey ho would do it again, good money!    but coat myself in petroleum jelly first  %% a farmer said it helps though not sure as to what it helps with (yet) :embarrassed:

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:28 am »

Just don't drop the spanner, nuff said  O0 :embarrassed:

Mike

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:41 am »

After I left the Navy, I han a brief spell collecting Pigs Blood for an american Chemical company who were producing Plasma.

The blood was collected "at Source" in the abbatoir into 400ltr Vats & put through a centrifuge to seperate the white & Red cels, I laste 6 months before escaping into the building trade!

Damien

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:57 pm »

As an 18 yo I worked in the etching room of a TV and radio manufacturer (1970) operating a conveyer driven etching machine, I up to my elbows daily in Ferric chloride cleaning jets, with no safety gear available. Other nasties used to clean the copper pc boards included Sulphuric acid and arsenic. Absolutely no human or environment safety in 1970 spent chemicals were pumped out a window onto the ground outside.
On one occasion i dropped a 20 litre carboy of Sulphuric, that i was about to pour into a tank, as you can imagine when it hit the floor there was a fountain of acid, around 10 litres all over me and surrounding area there was a mad rush to remove the stuff that was being stored in the safety shower, as i waited my clothes slowly disolved, after having a shower someone from the production floor loaned me a dust coat and i was told to take the rest of the day off, it took many weeks for the redness of acid burn to grow out.  Was most embarrasing getting a bus home wearing  only a dust coat, every thing else includin shoes were gone.
To this day being within a few feet of Sulphuric acid makes my skin crawl and i can no longer wear Denim it causes a nasty rash, i was wearing jeans when the spill occured.

Damien

Jerome Morris

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »

My worst job was Lumping fish out of the local fishing vessels upon their return from a trip. My back took a beating for a young guy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.