Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The search commences...  (Read 1700 times)

das boot

The search commences...
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:39 pm »

Many years ago I had a Bob Read "Deep Quest" submersible made from the Model Boats magazine hull and plan...it worked well but was lost with all hands due to water ingress(I presume)and despite the best efforts of the local sub aqua club, it was never found.  <:(

Anybody else had or got one of these? I know that they are still available from MB via their shop, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had one?

Rich

andyn

Re: The search commences...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:16:46 pm »

Rich, is the house not full enough of models already? :o :}

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:15:10 pm »

Nah.....not round enough for me!! :-))

das boot

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:50:16 pm »

Rich, is the house not full enough of models already? :o :}

I wish...oh, model boats you mean?   %)

Nah.....not round enough for me!! :-))

You know what they say Barry...what goes aROUND comes aROUND  ;)

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:01:39 pm »

I've got both the vac formed version and the older GRP hull that was made a long time ago.

The former sits in the corner, I made some modifications to convert it to a cylinder based pressure hull. Then by chance I was offered an original GRP hulled version. This was much better, but it needed a heck of a lot of work. The hull was a very thickly moulded affair. I moulded some new 'skids' for it, and spent a lot of time with polyester filler getting the top hatch to fit well.

I've made up some new control surfaces from epoxy glass sheet, and then rain stopped play when I was unable to find small enough bevel gears for the side thrusters (trying to get this model as close to the real Deep Quest as possible). Anyway I've found some now, so I'll be back fiddling with it again.

I also made a small acrylic cylinder to go inside, instead of the dry hull arrangement used originally.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »

Quote from: Footski on Today at 06:15:10 PM
Nah.....not round enough for me!! Thumbs up

Quote from  U-33
You know what they say Barry...what goes aROUND comes aROUND  Wink

Why don't Barry and U-33 and others who might be interested in these ROUND things, go aROUND to (name not mentioned in case he's on line) house and surROUND it until he comes ROUND to the fact that you would like something ROUND to sail.

Going to hide now before ( name not mentioned  ) comes looking for me with a ROUNDers bat.    <*<  <*<  <*<
Alan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.