Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not happy DX6i  (Read 8043 times)

paw249

Not happy DX6i
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:02:06 am »

So Tuesday decided to buy a 2.4ghz radio,thought i'd go for a spektrum as i like JR equipment the way they are so much easier to programme compared to Futaba.Wednesday,new radio combo turns up from Inwood models,am well pleased!Thursday,contacted Horizon about self centering components for left hand stick and told to refer to their website re product recall of the dx6i due to possibility of pot failure.Thursday afternoon return radio to Horizon via ANC parcels so that didnt have to pay postage (its all on their web page).Also phoned Inwood models saying i wasn't very pleased that a new radio i'd bought has had to go straight back to the supplier for attention.Friday,nothing.Saturday,a letter arrives from Horizon saying radio pot replacement on back order as soon as they have replacement stock of the pots.So i've spent £160 this week on a radio combo with an extra Rx that i haven't been able to use and won't be till who knows when?Wish i'd bought it on the credit card because would have got them involved to get money back from Inwood as they sold me an item not fit for it's purpose!

barryfoote

Re: Not happy DX6i
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:12:03 am »

Have you tried asking for your money back. I think you will find they are obliged to comply..

wideawake

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:07 am »

Have you tried asking for your money back. I think you will find they are obliged to comply..

I think you're right in that assumption as it's "not fit for purpose" though having sent it back to Horizon may make rerurning it to the retailer more difficult.   However I've two thoughts.  First I find it somewhat surprising that a retailer would supply you with a set which needed to be returned.   The problem has been common knowledge for some time now and i would have expected the retailer to check all sets in his stock and return them himself if they were in the batch with suspect pot's rather than selling them on and leaving the end user to deal with the recall.

Secondly I'd not allow this to put you off Spektrum gear.   I believe that the DX6i is a good set, though somewhat over spec'ed for many boat uses and will give you years of good service, so waiting a couple of weeks to get the modified gear back maybe isn't  a big deal in the longer term.

Ideally I guess you'd return it to the retailer and insist that they supply one not from the dodgy batch.

Good luck

Guy

paw249

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:37:58 am »

I felt they knew there was a recall when i phoned them,a case of we have your money Thankyou!

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:52:27 am »

I felt they knew there was a recall when i phoned them,a case of we have your money Thankyou!

I think that's outrageous and hardly a recommendation of their attitude  :((  As I said, I'd certainly have expected them to return any sets they had is stock from the suspect batch for replacement rather than dumping the problem on the buyer.

Cheers

Guy

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:44:12 am »

Buy the best Futaba no shuch problems

stav

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:11:25 pm »

Buy the best Futaba no such problems

Nah - just two practically useless 'extra' channels and a battery pack that wouldn't run the transmitter for more than about thirty minutes on a full charge. (Sorry - just had a customer's cheque referred back 'unpaid' and I'm not in the best of moods).

FLJ

Philipsparker

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:23 pm »

Why not demand Horizon send you the gear back and then return it to Inwood ?

Mention Trading Standards and Horizon may suddenly find a pot on a shelf and fix your gear ASAP. They can't be that bad as they at least sent you a letter explaining what was happening. A really duff supplier wouldn't have bothered with that little nicety.

Phil

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:14:10 pm »

Awe come on Dave ,not wanting to stirr the hornets nest , the futaba is good and simple (thats why i like it) :D . Yes the bats that come supplied with the rx are crap and the tx one is no better , but i replaced the tx with a new one and i run the rx off BEC .
no probs with mine .
Has any one tried the other 2.4ghz sets that are on the market for £30. ish ,what are they like .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

wideawake

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »

Awe come on Dave ,not wanting to stirr the hornets nest , the futaba is good and simple (thats why i like it) :D . Yes the bats that come supplied with the rx are crap and the tx one is no better , but i replaced the tx with a new one and i run the rx off BEC .
no probs with mine .
Has any one tried the other 2.4ghz sets that are on the market for £30. ish ,what are they like .
daz

WRT radios - the Spektrum is no more complicated than the Futaba AFAIK.  The present problem has nothing to do with the technology but is due to a batch of possibly duff components - the sort of thing that could happen to any manufactiurer. AFAIK not every one is faulty but they're replacing the entire batch to be on the safe side.

WRT the cheap Turborix set - I've got one on order to assess.   Comment reserved until I 've seen it.   The first thing I'll look for is a CE mark!

Cheers

Guy

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:50 pm »

WRT........................???????
AFAIK.......................???????

New language or text talk

Stav

wideawake

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 11:23:47 pm »

WRT........................???????
AFAIK.......................???????

Stav

Sorry Stav - email talk IIUC  :-)

AFAIK - As Far As I Know
WRT - With Respect To   (My generation's meaning of respect not some street kid's!)

IIUC - If I Understand Correctly

Sleep well

Guy - off to bed to dream of who knows what - and will I remember anyway  :((

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »

I thought it was welsh Klingon...........  %)

Honi soit qui mal y pense

FLJ

(Cheque now unbounced and all is again well with the world)

OMK

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

OTOH = On The Other Hand.
FWIW = For What It's worth............

And a zillion others.
(There is a whole thread dedicated to this subject lurking somewhere on these pages).

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »

ha so now me enlightened

Stav(must learn this new lingo)

DARLEK1

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:03 am »

Beam me up Scotty!

What's up with typing in English or what ever language someone is supposed to speak, instead of text talk?

I know, people are just too bloody lazy!

Paul... >>:-(

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:12 am »

Beam me up Scotty!

What's up with typing in English or what ever language someone is supposed to speak, instead of text talk?

I know, people are just too bloody lazy!

Paul... >>:-(

Quite right. we can do away with all these abbreviations . If it was not for forums like this, the English Language would be in a worse state than it is today.....

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 08:45:46 am »

Buy the best Futaba no shuch problems

stav
I'm a happy Futaba 2.4 Ghz owner. Yes The TX batt is very low capacity but I have not run out of power so it has stopped me from running my boats.  There is now one or two bargins to be had out there. I got a never flown second hand Works perfect RX 6 Chanel unit for £ 45.00 at a local model shop.  I picked up the RX/TX set for £120 "No servos"  It is a bit of a handfull at 1st to get set up, but once you get to grip with it moving to different model set up is easy.  WELL DONE FUTABA.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

craftysod

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 11:06:37 am »

Where is the best place to get a turborix set then,only one place i can find and the postage,
doubles the price
Mark

paw249

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:35 pm »

Well it seems this thread i started has gone totally off coarse somewhere but for those who were interested here goes;After contacting Horizon today it would appear they are totally swamped with having customers and dealers by the vanload DX6I's for modification so i went back to my supplier Inwood models.They gave me a credit for the TX and i bunged the extra for a new DX7.Okay totally overkill for a few model boats maybe but i wanted a new 2.4 set and i can always use it for my heli's and aeroplanes as well.I like JR equipment have tried the others over 30 years and thats what i wanted.Many thanks to Inwoods for being understanding and i am now SORTED.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 12:52:49 am »

Topic now tidied up

The Turborix posts have, where possible, been merged with the other Turborix thread.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 03:29:44 am »

I'm quite intrigued about the issues with battery capacities on Futaba radios.
FLJ (and absolutely no reason to doubt his word) is saying that his Futaba rig would last no more than roughly 30 minutes on a fully-charged battery. If you think about it, it means Dave's rig would have been pulling something like 1.4'ish amps from the stock 700mA battery. It's no wonder he had gripes with such a puny run-time. But on the other hand, 1.4 amps sounds a hell of a lot of juice for a transmitter pumping out just a handful of milliwatts. So where is all that juice going?
I use a similar rig as FLJ's, with the only difference of a couple extra channels. In contrast to his 30-minute run-time, I'm still using the stock 700mA battery supplied with the set, yet find I'm getting much more than a measly 30 minutes. An example of a typical run-time would be something like this...

1: Fully-charged battery registers approx' 11.2 volts.
2: Fly the plane/sail the boat for roughly 15 to 20 minutes.
3: Stop for a natter/roll a cigarette/refill the tank.
4: Have another fly/sail for a further 15 to 20 mins'.
5: Stop for a natter, etc....
6: Let the radio/engine/motor have a rest for a while.
7: Check to see that the Tx battery is still good. It is -- registering 10.3 volts.
8: Have another fly/sail for a further 15 to 20 mins'...

...and so on.
Three hours later the battery is registering 9.8 volts.

We all know Futaba are notoriously stingy when it comes to supplying their stock batteries, but even my backup battery is a bog-standard 700mA jobby because so far I have had no reason to stuff one with a larger capacity in there. Could it be that Futaba may have serious design flaws with that particular model which FLJ experienced, rather than it being down to the battery itself? If that is the case, then is bad reflection on Futaba's part, because, in FLJ's case, it painted such a bad picture that he ended giving that rig away and never got to appreciate what should otherwise have been a pleasant introduction to Futaba's usual top-class quality.

Turborix?
Am I understanding it correctly? You mean to say that you have to plug the sucker into a PC in order to alter any parameters??
Now that could be a real bummer -- especially if you need to quickly alter the throw rates or somesuch.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:47 am »

One has  been known to exaggerate a tad for the purpose of illustration. It also hinders one's perspective to have just found that a cheque from a customer has bounced.................
Still, the maths was impressive, Dude (and I still think RipoffMax are cheats in supplying stuff they couldn't otherwise get rid of).
FLJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.