Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does size really matter?  (Read 2313 times)

John C

Does size really matter?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »

Having had a bit of a natter off forum about this subject, I just wondered what was happening in the real world (of model boats that is ).

I've subscibed to the thinking that larger models sail better since returning to the fold, but there have been a few articles in the model boat press lately that contradict this in as much as the smaller models reported sailed ok.

The reason I'm asking is that I spend a lot of time away in my camper van during the summer, and don't have the space to take large models with me. So I was considering the purchase of a footy kit from Scalesailing a "pintail" (I don't normally do kits, but have done for others), but then I read that a gaff rigged version the "Helen" is coming shortly on the US products list so decisions...decisions!!

The upshot is I could probably take two yachts at this scale with me, and zero of the larger ones, so I could buy both (if I don't get found out by SWMBO).

I am aware of the popularity of these little yachts, and I am drawn to them, but I'd just like a bit of honest opinion before I part with my ill gotten gains please.

John C

Stavros

Re: Does size really matter?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »

get a 1 mtr it will sail in all conditions just get a storm set and a no1

Stav

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:10:55 pm »

I would probably go for a Micro Magic, at 530mm in length a nice easy size to travel with, sails well and under £100 for the basic kit reasonably good value.

Lot of good websites with info as well, here's a good one..
http://magicmicro.org/news.php

John C

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:25:04 pm »

I've looked at the micro magic in the past, nice boat as you say. But I'd still like some of that I built it feeling even if it is a kit (I like wood, perverse I know, but that's the way it is).

I was hoping for some honest unbiased opinion on these little boats for or against (and not just the scalesailing ones).

andyn

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:49:23 pm »

I go with Stav on this, build yourself a metre class, you can make it from balsa if you so wish and resin it up, make the keel and rudder easily removable, the sail comes off easily enough anyway, and fully derigged and rubber banded together it will fit in the corner of your van snug as a bug in a rug ;)

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 06:02:26 pm »

Some years back an IOM would have been called a toy boat by skippers of M's and bigger. What we have seen is smaller electronics making smaller sizes viable. RG65, Micromagic and Footies all have their following and what is best depends more on the builder/owner's personal preferences than the boat itself. If it's fun to sail, who cares.

John C

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »

My thinking exactly

I was just trying to find out if all the hype about footy's is ok. I have large boats but the build time is another thing (although I do enjoy it) that is steering me towards these smaller boats.

If there's as much enjoyment to be had, and there seems to be!! from these small boats, then I think I'll have a go.

andyn

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »

In that case, give AndrewH a shout, he's pretty clued up on such things
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.