Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why this Text talk  (Read 5888 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Why this Text talk
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 01:49:13 am »

All the text speak may be cool. But Jargon can be just as bad.

I say bad, because it means that only 'the few' can understand what we are trying to say. This means if what we are trying to say is of value, it looses some/a lot of its value, as a few/many cannot understand it.

The worst case of jargon I have seen recently was on another model boat forum and was some US navy guy reminiscing about the good old days and used sentences like (sorry terminology is not correct but you will get my drift)
"...then the S3 gets on the G1 and calls for a D7 to squib they SO2..."
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 07:08:33 am »

I agree with tigertiger that the excesive use of jargon tends to exclude. The only time jargon is appropriate is when talking with those whom you can be sure understand what you are saying. However, if you are really devious you can use jargon, explain what it means and then your audience feels part of the "in crowd"!

Roger in France

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 02:40:05 pm »

Hi, wouldn't putting a post through spell check help a would-be-poster see some of these points.  I know the wrong word can creep in because it is a correctly spelt word but some posts take a little translating (not anyone here of course).  Inadvertent typing of adjacent letters is most often the cause, but I think this is a perennial problem.
regards Roy

PS.  I put this through the spell checker and it did not like 'would-be-poster',  but suggested 'Wildebeast' instead, who said computers had no sense of humour!

PPS  I think I may have upset the computer as it now refuses to spell check this post!

catengineman

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:37 pm »

:D

I am terrible at spelling so have a copy of The Concise Oxford English Dictionary installed on my computer, this said I can still make the odd fluff of things, the English language is such a strange thing.

R,

garston1

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 07:52:27 pm »

I got a text from a friend of my son last week. I've handed it over to those damn fine chaps and chapesses at bletchley park. they've had it a week now, still no luck

OMK

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »

"PS.  I put this through the spell checker and it did not like 'would-be-poster'..."

It might be because the Mayhem spell checker cannot handle hyphenated words. It might also be because you used one too many hyphens between the "be" and "poster".
In a similar vein, we were gently reminded soon after this forum began that the reason for many of the poor spelling and grammatical errors is not down to laziness on the author's part, but merely down to the fact that many simply did not have access to schooling or education. Also, a fair amount of older members had to leave school at the tender age of fourteen - sometimes younger - and had to go out into the big world to bring money into the home. Ergo, were robbed of the chance of learning even the very basics of English.
In this modern world, there really is no excuse for any schoolkid not to learn how to pen a legible letter... not unless the teacher's teaching them are themselves just plain dopey.

Bee

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »

If mobile phones and tv/film had been available in the stone age nobody would have bothered inventing writing and reading. Face it - it's obsolescent technology.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 10:41:15 pm »

Homo Sapiens started out with grunts and strange noises, and it seems the next generations (God help us all), are rapidly making a re-discovery and reverting back to the future with it.

Very good, Bernard  O0 I love it  :-))

I agree with Stavros, and like him, absolutely loathe "txt talk". I refuse to use it. With the predictive text facility available on most mobile phones, it is almost as quick to type the full word anyway, and far more intelligible, to me, at least.

Peter.

OMK

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 01:02:00 am »

If mobile phones and tv/film had been available in the stone age nobody would have bothered inventing writing and reading. Face it - it's obsolescent technology.

Try telling that to those who have to rely on text subtitles when watching their favourite TV prog'.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 04:46:32 am »

Even worse is elite speak.... Spelled - " l337 5p34|<"

Video game and online "5p34(|-|".

See this comic for an extended example..
http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/347

%%

pobolycwm

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:15 am »

All the text speak may be cool. But Jargon can be just as bad.
do you mean bad as in cool bad  {-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.