Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting Styrerne Assemblies  (Read 1687 times)

Richard M

Painting Styrerne Assemblies
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:55:16 pm »

I am building my first kit using Styrene having previously built static wooden sailing vessels so apologies if this is a stupidly basic question.

I do not understand how to get a good spray finish on a complex assembly. I am using thinned Humbol enamels and a basic spray gun with compressed gas canisters. If I paint it at an early stage then liqiuid poly does not work for attaching additional sub assemblies and it also lifts the paint. If I paint the assembly at a late stage then it becomes really difficult if not impossible to spray into the complex shapes. I see all the posted image showing standards of finish that I can only dream of at present. Advice please.

Richard M {:-{

Stavros

Re: Painting Styrerne Assemblies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:44 pm »

Right then personally I would ditch the spray gun with the aerosol canisters or buy yourself a compressor ....reason ..simple there is no way on earth a canister can give you a constant flow of paint too hit and miss.
right then build the whole assembly spray it with plastic bumper primer from Halfords and finish off with the colours of your choice.If you are worried about complex shapes well build it in subassemblies BUT mask off where the glue is to be obviously start at the bottom!.then every part will be painted as you go along.Yes I agree to an extent that the glue will attack the paint slightly BUT it can be touched up by spraying the colour into a pot and touching up by brush.

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.