Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tomahawk smoke oil?  (Read 4250 times)

ian kennedy

Tomahawk smoke oil?
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »

Hi, i have a Tomahawk 12v DC smoke generator and would like to know of a suitable alternative to their oil, as the company seems to have gone out of business.

Ian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Tomahawk smoke oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:47 pm »

I did hear of some using Johnsons Baby Oil in these.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ian kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:52:03 pm »

Cheers Bob,

Wow, really?

I would have thought that Johnsons baby oil would be a bit to viscous and greasy? i only have a drop or two of the original left and it has very little smell to it, unlike the Seuthe and Graupner gubbinswhich has a more chemical/oily whiff to it.

Ian

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:11:58 pm »

Ask Hunter systems he sold them for long enough   http://shop.huntersystems.co.uk/smoke-generator-8-c.asp

Proteus

Brian Roberts

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »

Tesco Baby Oil consists of liquid paraffin and perfume with no other additives, I assume Johnson's is the same.
Brian

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:33:53 pm »

Ian,

I used a Tomahawk in my large Puffer for many years. After refusing to pay the extortionate prices for his 'non flammable' smoke fluid, I tried Maplins disco smoke fluid, and never looked back. I even added a drop or two of incense oil to the gallon bottle, and it made a real nice show as it puffed merrily around the lake, with the puffs synced in with the steam sound unit, stinking of apples. Maybe a different choice of perfume would have been better.

I would suggest you don't try any of the usual ones, baby oil, 3 in 1, paraffin etc as they are all flammable and as you know this unit gets rather hot.

John

ian kennedy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:07 am »

Thanks chaps,

It looks like i need to make a trip to the local maplins then John, i don't want to torch the latest effort...too new for a viking funeral

Ian

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:27:15 pm »

Ian,

I would suggest you only get the 1ltr bottle of medium fog

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=24988

I bought the 5 ltrs, and ended up giving a load away to other club members. It does pop and f**t  a bit in normal smokers, but it does the job OK, but great for the Tomahawk.

John

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »

maplin do a box set of  smoke oils ( well its actually disco fog  fluid) its non toxic and comes in lovely scents like strwberry, and citrus !!!

but the serious poisitive side is its under 20 quid for about 5 litres !!! works a treat in the smoke units, i have a tomahawk and another unit and it works brilliantly in both

no longer pay silly prices use maplin stuff,
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

ian kennedy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:25:21 pm »

Thanks chaps,

I recon my new, old  broadside ironclad would seem a tad camp plodding accross my lake spouting essence of nutmeg plumes of smoke!!  {-)but if it is cheap who cares %%

Once again many thanks

Ian

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:07 pm »

But just think all the calming effects and no upset boaters  :-)) even when a treasured craft sinks   :}

ian kennedy

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:52:27 pm »

Their may be a new form of Tantric boating for the old hippy element amongst us !! {-)

Ian

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:04:17 am »

Liquid Paraffin,is the biz,easily sourced at your local chemist,and the great thing is, what you don,t use in your smoker,you can always use in yourself,you,ll be amazed on how fast it makes your bowels  move, {-)
my mum swore by it,my a**e did,nt {-)

Wullie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 11:36:09 am »

Hi all...50% liquid parifin & 50 % used diesel sump oil....make plenty of black clouds  %%......but you may get chucked out by the  :police:....... {-) . Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.