Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hammeriet paint  (Read 6857 times)

ando

hammeriet paint
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:05:12 am »

hello   has anyone used  their matt grey smoothrite   ?????? {:-{

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: hammeriet paint
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:16:51 am »

Hammerite paint is made for metalwork an cannot be used with any other type of paint. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:30 am »

I have used it on by steel gates, and a very good finish it gives, but, as Richard says, don't try using it with any other......You will end up with a mess!!

ando

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:29:35 pm »

hi     thanks  for the info    i,ve binned my idea on smoothrite !! :-)) thanks
           i ,ve spoke to a fellow modeler and he thinks you can get that tamiya paint from a model shop in skegness??? 
   other than that i ,m going to try halfords  plastic under coat  then an acrylic matt finish ??!!!
                 i would be great full for any advice you may have !!

Regards   andy    p.s.    i,m building a prekasa (wood ) 37"  my next model is hms sheffield   ( copy of hms belfast !)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:34:07 pm »

my next model is hms sheffield   ( copy of hms belfast !)

Hope not! They looked completely different.

Colin

ando

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

well               i think you got the general idea

ando

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

the plans i have are  by glynn guest  from the model boat magazine vol.48 iss .570

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »

I can't remember that particular plan and I'm too lazy to look it up but if he said it was based on Sheffield then you could call the model any of the ships of that class except the later Belfast and Edinburgh which were bigger and had a different mast/funnel/turret layout.

If it was based on Belfast then you can only call the model Belfast or Edinburgh.

Colin

andyn

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:21 pm »

You can use halfords primers yes, and I've produced some very nice results with their spray colours too, Shineyyy......

Their matte colours are very good, don't forget the matte laquer when your done with everything on he model, spray VERY light coats over it to seal

Before...

After...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »

What's the tinfoil for Andy?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »

Just to deflect a bit of heat away from the box, and to stop the pipe melting the side of the boat, the whole hull with nothing in it weighed less than a grain of salt, so you can expect it melted quite easily...

Oh and My Viper has died a dead Martin, I pushed the engine through the bottom ;) It's now got a 540 and 6 cells, soon possibly to be 10 cells O0

The engine's going in a little suprsonic thing Greg has for me :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:46 am »

I have used smoothrite to repaint an old motorcycle fairing and gas tank.
I bought a primer from Halford's and had not problems.
But it is better to ere on the side of caution, because of compatibility issues.

I did notice that smoothrite is very soft and wears off easily. If I went for a ride the front of my leathers would have picked up red paint from the tank.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:17:34 am »

Hammerite is great stuff for the right job. Especially outdoor metallic objects like gates (as Footski said) I have used it on door hinges; gates; door stays; fences etc.

However, you must read the instructions very, very carefully as some metals need special pre-treatments and the repainting times are critical because once a coating starts to mature you must leave it the specified number of days before applying further coats. You are also best off using the dedicated brush cleaner.

All in all expensive but excellent, next best thing to enamalling.

I wonder if our "resident paint expert" Stavros has any comments?

Roger in France

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »

You called Roger !!!!!! Right then Personally I would not use the stuff at all for model boats,it does have it's uses of course in the right circumstances eg painting your wheelbarrow,garden gates etc but model boats I THINK NOT.Yes of course you can use it over any paint whatsoever as it is an enamel BUT for goodness sake don't try and overcoat it with a rattle can,well all I can say is DONT as it  will react with hammerite if applied over it.

Stavros

GG

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:42 am »

Got to come in and make a comment about using Smooth Hammerite.
Not sure what the professional opinion is but I have used it successfully on a few fast electric types of model.  They were built out of balsa and finished with dope and tissue before applying the Hammerite.  The resulting finish was very smooth and tough.  More than adequate for the rough and tumble of club racing.  In fact, a few people thought the hulls were plastic or GRP until I showed them the wood inside the hull.
Its thick and viscous nature makes painting an acquired skill.  The trick appears to be to apply one coat smoothly and avoid any attempts to go back and touch up areas.  It seems to have good coverage and leveling properties but a little practice is needed to get the right technique.
Glynn Guest

ando

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 07:01:00 pm »

hello      ref last comment  are you the gylnn guest that did the plan for hms sheffield ????
            if so i,m in two minds weather or not try smoothrite !!     p.s if your are one in the same person   have you any tip on building the model !!??
        regards andy

GG

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 08:23:40 pm »

Ando, Guilty as charged.
No, I would never use Hammerite on a scale model as it would probably hide all the fine detail you have worked so hard to make.
As for tips on building HMS Sheffield, or anything from a plan/article;
1) read the instructions carefully
2) think about it, will it meet your needs
3) only when you understand everything  (you probably don't but thats part of the fun) start building
4) buy good materials
5) use a good straight edge, set square and sharp blades
6) measure twice so that you only have to cut once
7) trial fit parts before reaching for the glue
8)leave all the glued joints twice as long as you think they need to dry
9) if something looks wrong, stop and look at the plans/instructions again
10) wonder why you started the damn thing in the first place!
Glynn Guest

ando

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:11 pm »

hello glynn 
               Thanks for your tip    :-)     i,ll keep them in mind !!      When i,ve finished i,ll post some pictures   but as i,ve just started  it will be some time   
      q.1 what motor did you use ? 
      q.2  what paint do you suggest ??
      regards Andy  from lincoln

GG

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »

Ando,
        From the questions you ask I suspect that you have not got the copy of the magazine that these plans were published with.
I most strongly suggest that you get hold of the construction article.  Not only will it answer the questions you are asking now, it should answer most of the other questions that will come up during the construction of a model from these plans.
A kind member of this site might be willing to send you this issue of the magazine or, I believe, copies can be obtained from the plans service that deals with Model Boats plans.
Glynn Guest

ando

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:31 pm »

hello 
           I,m one step ahead of you  i have today been around to see a fellow model boater  ( in my local club) and he has lent me the said issue !!! and as you said it covers any question i may have !!      so the the build begin !!  i,vie already  glued the two bit for the base
 any way  i,ll try and do some more over the week end thats if work and kids allow
               regards Andy

andygh

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:14:08 am »

I never use hammerite paint, not since I found out that petrol melts it (I used to restore garden machinery), it also gets very brittle and chips badly. Tractor enamel is far more rugged for outdoor jobs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.