Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 28cc WEEDWACKER MODIFIED TO WATERCOOLED MARINE ENGINE  (Read 23009 times)

Patternmaker

Re: 28cc WEEDWACKER MODIFIED TO WATERCOOLED MARINE ENGINE
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 06:03:22 pm »

Sorry about that, the link does not work, I put it done to my age.
These are all on youtube of the Falcon cat which is also known as Mercury:

FALCON RC BOAT
FALCON 41 GAS BOAT
RC GAS CAT
FALCON CAT WITH ZEN 7
R/C FALCON @ 70+ AND WILD BLACKCAT

Patternmaker

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 02:46:38 pm »

Pictures of my deep vee with moded weedwaker, the carburettor will be changed thanks to a very kind member who has given me one.
The deck and cowl painted in candy gold finished with 2K lacquer

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »

That looks really nice mate ive got some gold candy paint here waiting to be used on one of my boats ill be doing it over a silver sparkle basecoat.I notice you still have the idle screw in the carb id remove that so you can shut down the motor with the radio.Also you might want to add support to the tube nearer to the collett as i cant see anything withing 3" of it? id also install a shaft saver just in case the collet lets go or you forget to tighten it youd be surprised how many have done that .Apart from that shes looking very nice mate.Heres a  sample of the colour i want to end up with,the plan was to do one of the vees i build for my son in this colour but i have been to busy building the moulds for the t boat and getting the first one built for a mate .Check out my build thread,ill be posting new pics in a  little while.I wish you luck with yours hope all goes well on your first outing
Mart
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16083.msg159090#new

Patternmaker

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 04:12:54 pm »

There's a T bar 60mm from the end of the tube, I wont put it any closer because even with HD mounts this engine has a lot of torque therefore
movement so its best to let end of shaft tube flex slightly.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »

No worries 60 mm isnt far looks more in the pic thats why i asked ,the torque you talk about is why i suggested a big prop by the way  ;).You have done a very nice job with the build it looks very nice.Not hard to see you take pride in what you do.What carb is that you have on there now.
Mart

brodjack

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »

As Mart said,nice build.
Did you sculpt that intake on the canopy yourself?
Jacks is the same hull,without the 'hole'.

looks the buisness :-))
Brod..

Patternmaker

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »

Brod,
I made a plug and mould for the intake, it serves two purposes, the engine is deeper than the zen the top of the spark plug a cap is higher than
cowl. The cut down intake covers the carb idle screw and choke 

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:20 am »

Very nice work on the cowl i forgot that bit  :-)),i still say remove that idle scew and throw it away though so you can shut the motor down if needed using the radio.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 11:17:03 am »

Thanks Mart, I am going to fit a 644 carb kindly given to me by another member, I will have to modify the insulator and the throttle linkage.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:39 am »

Sounds good mate,i liked the wa 167 carb on the stock one but the 644 should be fine for yours.Keep us posted on how she runs,so whens the big day .One weekness i found on this motor was the recoil starter it seems to ware out pretty quick,did you modify yours at all as id be interested in seeing what you came up with if anything.
Mart

brodjack

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:35 am »

here you go pattermaker,a quick video of jacks mono,the same as yours,new cheap China pipe and a pals mods to the the Zenoah motor.

Hope yours runs as well,keep us all informed :-)
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn96/brodjack/?action=view&current=jacksboatmedrivingshrunk.flv

Brod..

Patternmaker

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 10:06:45 am »

Nice one Brod, goes very well. I have made some more mods to my engine opened up exhaust port even more, fitted 644 carb, now getting over 15000 rpm. one big problem I don't know when I will be able to run my boat. I have a severe back problem, trapped nerve base of the spine
from shattered disc, told I could be laid up for months it may well be the end of my model boating  :((
Good luck to all of you, and thanks for all your support.

brodjack

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21:28 am »

Bad luck pattern.Boating does require alot of bending down etc.
I did mine about a yr.and a half ago at the gym,bodybuilding,couldnt walk for a good 4 weeks.
Unbeleivably painful.
Physio told me to start hunting for a good wheelchair.
He was wrong,back at the gym,stronger than ever now,hope yours ends the same...
Good luck...
Brod...

Patternmaker

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 10:41:08 am »

Thanks for the encouragement Brod, it shows consultants can get it wrong.
Regards Mick

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 01:01:00 pm »

Mick so sory to hear about your back mate but dont give up hope.A good friend of mine over in the states had a similar prognosis after a  botched operation and sold a lot of his boats only to find a different doctor who put his back right for him within a cpl of months and that was after a year or more of pain and thinking he would need a wheelchair etc.He has now just started building and running boats again and in fact has just started up a buisness selling a rtr race ready mono or is in the process as we speak so there is allways hope.Good job on the further mods,sounds similar to what my old pal Rick was getting from the one he modded a cpl of years ago,he too had to give up boating due to all his gear been destroyed in a house fire  :o at least it was just the boats that died.His background was in 2 stroke bike racing,he never did get to see his motor run which was a shame.I hope you get well soon and get that boat running  :-)).
Mart
ps Brod thats one noisy pipe sounds like that hanson quiet pipe i had  ok2,seems to go well.
heres a customers vee i built ,a mate sent a vid of.Another noisy pipe  O0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQviWVdD2Q

brodjack

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »

yeh Mart,its no Prestwich pipe :embarrassed:
it was double loud without the silencer in the yard,but we kinda expected that.Dave supplied the pipe and silencer for a song and i had them both tigwelded together.
I've joined the noisy pipe brigade.
your hull on that vid. runs fast,bit of chine walk,but Jacks hull with the extra speed was starting to do it too.
Are you going to build one for yourself?

Sorry Pattern. for the off topic chat.. makes good reading though..
Brod...

Patternmaker

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 03:57:15 pm »

Picture of Walbro 644 fitted with modified insulator, thickness machined 7mm thinner, bore machined to carb venturi and modded throttle linkage.
The recoil starter has been modded plastic ratchet pawls replaced by aluminium and pivot posts made larger.
This boat weighs exactly 7kilos with a full tank of petrol, what does Jacks boat weigh Brod?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »

Very nice work Mick good idea changing the recoil starter pawls ,7 kilos isnt a bad weight with a full tank considering this engine is a tad heavier than a zen.Hope yopur well enough soon to run it  ok2.
 Brod those pies arent bad for the money and produce good power by all accounts.The boat in the vid does look pretty fast but running a little wet,but i think thats the flat water i know mine was better when the chop was on the water.Chinewalk seemed to be a problem with mine running that same prop hes running,when i switched props it stopped doing it.I will build one for me as i miss mine especially when its too choppy for the hydro.Hope we get a good Summer so we can run some boats.
Mart

brodjack

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »

Nice work Pattern,do you access to lathes and stuff?
It just shows what a bit of mechanical know-how can do to such almost any motor,without costing the earth.
I have a fishing scale(hook up jobby) somewhere,i'll dig it out later,if i can find it, and weigh Jacks boat later.
I'd like a comparison too.

Think the chine walk is all in the props too,mixed in with the extra speed.Jacks was ok,it seemed to do it as it went back over its own wake,which possibly made the hull run very high on the water for a second.Dont really know.

I like these type of hulls,got a bit bored with the Apache which has been stripped of the bits for another hull.
I would make another for yourself Mart,especially now you have access to cheaper bits.

We are going to go later on, on sundays,it tends to be calmer at that time.Plus not too many spectators. O0
Brod..

by the way the pies are very good for the money!!

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 06:35:34 pm »

Picture of Walbro 644 fitted with modified insulator, thickness machined 7mm thinner, bore machined to carb venturi and modded throttle linkage.
The recoil starter has been modded plastic ratchet pawls replaced by aluminium and pivot posts made larger.
This boat weighs exactly 7kilos with a full tank of petrol, what does Jacks boat weigh Brod?

Mick,

out of interest, try and give your engine a run with the carb velocity stack off and see if it produces any more revs.

Glenn

Patternmaker

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 06:41:05 pm »

Glenn,
thanks I will try it when my back allows, cannot do much at all at the moment.

Patternmaker

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 06:54:35 pm »

Nice work Pattern,do you access to lathes and stuff?
It just shows what a bit of mechanical know-how can do to such almost any motor,without costing the earth.
I have a fishing scale(hook up jobby) somewhere,i'll dig it out later,if i can find it, and weigh Jacks boat later.
I'd like a comparison to

Brod,
I have a fairy well stocked workshop, lathes, milling machine, all the usual woodworking machines including planer thicknesser. My last scale scratch build was
Thames steam launch Miranda

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »

Mick now your just showing off  :-)),thats a stunning model absoluteley beautifull workmanship.
Mart

brodjack

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:21 pm »

Awesome work! as well as lots of tools,lots of patience needed for models like that,I bet.

Weighed jacks boat and its exactly 14 pounds with an almost full tank.Which is 6.36 KG.

i saved a fair amount of weight with a Maplins clear plastic project box as a Radio box and also used an elderly 3cell 2000mah Lipo pack with a 6v.Sbec regulater.if i remember right,i shaved off 400g from a glass box with a 5cell 3000 nimh.

I originally fitted 1 underwater pickup on Jacks at the rear,but wasnt happy with the water flow,the rudder only having 1 intake hole.
I've since swapped pipes,needing only 1 water inlet source now which feeds both motor and manifolld/flange.
I drilled the single rudder hole larger and water flow is now very good.
I noticed a similar underhull intake on yours.
Brod..

Patternmaker

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:03 pm »

Brod,
Thanks for letting me no the weight of jacks boat. I originally thought that mine was a bit heavy knowing that the engine was heavier than the zen that's why I moved the engine slightly further forward. I made my own radio box as small as possible to get everything in including fail safe. The pickup from the hull cools the manifold and tune pipe the rudder pickup for the head, I will have to wait see how it works if and when I can ever run the boat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.