Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locked Topic  (Read 1545 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Locked Topic
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:28:43 pm »

If it is deemed to Lock a Topic, might I suggest prudence and due diligence would suggest it is entirely deleted immediately by the Site Owners as soon as it is presumed to be such please. Though some might allegedly become 'offended' with some things, to some it might not be quite so until some have had their say to possibly calm things down.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Locked Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:35:25 pm »

Fair point Polaris but surprisingly enough we have also had requests to not delete offending threads but to lock them and leave them for others to be guided accordingly!!

I think it depends on the individual circumstance and the feelings of which ever moderator is dealing with the offending thread.  If it was felt to be too offensive then I think we would all tend to delete the post completely but, not surprisingly we are then left wide open to be critised for over enthusiastic censorship!  If on the other hand we simply lock a thread we will then find ourselves being critisised by what ever offended party is involved and we will then be under attack for not acting decisively enough.

I don't think you can make a rule to cover every eventuality so I think the best course of action is to evaluate the individual thread and it's posts and then deal with it as we see fit for the greater good of the forum.   

Trust me, what ever we do it will never please every one.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:26:50 am »

Dear Bunkerbarge,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

I agree with what you say, and I think the Status Quo is probably the best. One cannot just let certain things go on in case things might get out of hand, and, with all good intentions, sometimes this doesn't work quite the way it should. Personally I think this Board is very well operated, and, as I have said before, Mayhem is exceptionally well tempered in comparison to one or two academic ones I have seen! - talk about pitched battles!

Regards, Bernard

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:58:14 pm »

Thanks for the feedback and your comments Bernard and thanks for taking the time to put your suggestion forward in the first place.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:55:04 pm »

Dear Bunkerbarge,

Thankyou for troubling to reply to my last. On reflection, I don't think my original Post was 'that important' really in the grand scheme of things.

I think everybody's nerves are a bit frayed at the moment one way and another, and I think this will become a touch moreso over the coming months. I am not going to go at all into the 'why this is' because we all know (& therefore will make no mention of it), but - very understandably - I think there are going to be quite a few people who's nerves are going to be very 'frayed', and this might just get vented on/under other Subject headings even though it is not intended. I know I participated on a certain Scottish Topic, but it was starting to get a touch beyond good natured teasing and was heading towards horseplay... and we all know where that can end up. Granted I participated, but dropped it like a hot brick when it was obviously starting to go in the wrong direction.

Luckily the vast majority of Mayhem members are the best people that anyone could meet. Ok, I have only actually met one, but, if he is the set example, and also the many that I have come to know (on the Board, phone and email), I am very sure I am right in my assumption.

I hope very much that few Mayhem members will not be touched to much by the current troubles, but even the hardiest of people can get thrown off balance by such changing conditions and times we have at the moment. So, I think everybody must consider the outlook of staying 'cool' and not get 'rattled' even if someone is starting to get a bit 'jumpy' shall we say.

My time spent with certain other things that some on here are aware of has been increasing lately, but, I am pleased to say, not quite as much as I was expecting. Though with one particular instance I am staggered how he was coping to keep his business etc. together - not connected with anyone on Mayhem I hastily add otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. However he is now seeking support from accountants, certain agencies, and a GP is helping to keep things in check. So, if anyone reading this is worried about financial things, do something about it NOW. See accountants, seek their advice: if tax matters are of concern accountants can advise how to deal with HMRC, BUT, it is very important not to wait until whatever tax (Vat, Corp.Tax, personal taxes etc.), are actually due to be paid... these bodies must be advised beforehand that there is or might be a problem. Help is there, it's just a matter of asking for it. I have been using an excellent accountancy practice for many years now, and they produce a first class emailed news bulletin on a monthly basis (gnrl. accountancy and tax matters 'things' for those in business), however, these are produced more regularly now, and if anyone might like to receive it I can arrange for it to be sent - it is FOC, and there are no commitments whatsoever.

Bunkerbarge, sorry to diverge from this Topic, and I am not going to put this up under a separate Topic unless you think it appropriate. If you want to put it up yourself (in part or all), then please feel free to do so - no need to mention where it's from thanks.

Regards, Bernard

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.