Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North London boat clubs ???????  (Read 8971 times)

MTB

North London boat clubs ???????
« on: October 01, 2006, 01:40:08 am »

Is there a boat club in  NW London I can go to. Any info' would be very useful. Thanks
Roy

pete

Re: North London boat clubs ???????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:59:47 pm »

Roy

Although not North London you may like to consider our club to which you are welcome to attend at any time

The Broomfield Model Boat Club is located in Palmers Green North London and was formed in 1983 with the aim of fostering the appreciation of model boat in both sail and power models. Member’s interests range through all kinds of sailing craft including vintage yachts, modern sail and preserved working boats such as Thames barges and all types of navel craft. Most of these are electric powered but some members delve into steam. IC is not permitted on our lake. We attend various shows and regattas around the country both as visitors and also as exhibitors. We have a diary of club events, which are well attended during the season. We sail as a club on Monday, Friday and Sunday mornings from around 10am but as the lake is open to the public it can be used at any time. The location is about 2-3minutes from the North Circular Road next to Palmers Green station in Aldermans Hill and is called Broomfield Park. Parking is in the road or in a side street. The pond is constructed from concrete and has a depth ranging from 9” to about 16”.

If you require any further information e-mail me

Pete

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:34:29 pm »

I used to sail my yacht there when I was an ankle biter back in the 50's. Glad to hear it hasn't been filled in like so many in that area. :) :) :)
Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:23:21 pm »

I was an early member of the Broomfield Scale Model Ship Society (why change the name?) from about 1984 until the early 1990's, still have my old enamelled badge.

I moved on as the club increasingly concentrated on scale sail and barge racing. I'm a power man, interested in subs mainly, and Broomfield is a bit shallow for submarines.

North London Society of Model Engineers has a marine section, and we have our own pond which is based in Hertfordshire.

It's much smaller than Broomfield, but it's big enough to have fun in, unless you build huge models. We also cater for live steam locos, slot cars, HO, 00 and general engineering.

You can see photos of past events and read more about the club at our website-

http://www.nlsme.co.uk

Andy

peewee

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:17:15 pm »

Hi Roy

it might be a bit out of your way (I am from NE London - Chingford) but I have joined the Brentwood club. The sailing / IC lake is quite big, about 20 ft deep and fairly weed free thanks to the numerous fish put in to it. They also have a sheltered scale lake.

It is only a few minutes off the M25 & I can get there in less than half an hour,

I believe that IC boats can be run at Stevenage - although I have not been there myself.

Links and pictures are on my website (click link at the bottom of this post).

Pete

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 12:46:16 pm »

Hi, we are always pleased to welcome new members to the St. Albans model engineering society.  We sail on the lake (s) at Verulamium Park, St. Albans.  We are mainly scale electric and sail.  i/c perhaps is  best done elsewhere due to noise problem with locals.  But we do have round the pole hydroplanes and some straight running by special arrangement with the authorities.
Most of the waters going north from London have full size sailing craft or fishing interests that tend to exclude model boating.

I used to sail on the Whitestone Pond when I was much youngerand living  in Hampstead.  There is also the Model yachting pond in Hampsted Heath, which should be approached from West Hill to get to it.
At Rickmansworth there is a sail only club on Bury Lake.
If you are interested in joining us, I am Secretary of the St. Albans club, send me a PM.  Or visit the web site.  www.stalbansmes.co.uk
Good luck, Roy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 09:46:41 pm »

Were you stalking me in your early years.
I was born in Hampstead and fell in the whitestone pond on a regular basis.
We then moved to Totteridge near Whetstone and my father used to take me to Aldermans Hill in Palmers Green,
Then I went to college in St Albans and used to sail at the bottom of the hill by the Abbey next to the pub.
Brought dack a lot of memories reading the posts here.

Richard ;D ;D
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

MTB

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:45:59 pm »

Thanks chaps that gives me a bit to be getting on with. Will try to visit some in the next couple of weeks although I am close to White Stone pond as mentioned and used to use it regularly myself as a kid but recently the Guards have been taking regular trips there from their barracks in Maida Vale and as you know horses are like dogs and cows and poop anywhere, anytime so have to be a bit careful there. Have now sorted all sorts of complications over Parliament Hill pond (Hamstead Heath) as mentioned in another post I did recently due to wooley thinking council workers trying yet again to stop us doing what we are entitled to do "but it's a conservation area" "not sure you can do that any more".
Originally just wanted to find a place to meet like minded people which this seems to have achieved so........thanks. ::)

Roy (London)

Bugsey

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 10:55:23 pm »

West London Model Power Boat Club

Whatever became of this club? As a child I lived adjacent to Hampstead Heath and often visited the Highgate boating lake where this club would meet every Sunday afternoon. A model sailing club would meet there in the mornings wnich I was told that this arrangement was a gentlemans agreement between the two clubs. The lake was very popular for model boating in the 1940's and 50's but when I have returned in recent years there was not a model boat to be seen. This is a shame as it is an almost perfect lake for boating. If anyone has any knowledge of this club, and it's fate, I would be interested.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 03:36:37 pm »

Hi Bugsey, I used to live within walking distance (which was much further in those days!) of the Hampstead model yachting pond in the early 60's.
The model yacht club which I never joined but was friends with a few of the members was pretty well gone by 1964.  They used to keep their yachts in a purpose built hut adjacent to the lake.  This was broken into several times and I think they just gave up.  Most, in those days, did not have cars and you could not get a 10R or A class yacht on a bus so without the nearby storage hut they could not persue the hobby.

I used to sail my first RC boat over there on Sunday afternoons this was about 2 years later.  I do not remember many modellers up there then.  I had a Derek Olley (later to become Fleet) 4 switch set, not proportional, it was almost immune to interference as you could wind the aerial around the electric motor and it still worked.
This was in the days of reed sets and Derek Olley's set was 'electronic reeds or tones' but at a higher freqency with a soldered in blue crystal.

Because the tone frequencies were well above the current multi function mechanical reed sets you could run 2 boats together, almost unheard of then!.
Still got the RC gear.

I remember once a chap turning up with a fast i/c powered MTB or perhaps a Fire boat and it had single channel control.  This consisted of switch, and a special actuator in the boat.

To turn left you held the switchdown and then released when going in the direction you wanted.  To turn right you pressed the switch once then released it and then pressed again and held it.  There was no control of the i/c engine

Imagine doing this with a boat planing along at speed!

The side of the lake had new wood piles put in to strengthen it and he hit most of them in the first 30 seconds, a sad end with the family looking on.
regards Roy

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 02:21:32 am »

Hi all, especially roycv

I used to run a cachalot with a Merco 35 using a touch touch system as described, so I don't have to imagine using this system with a fast IC powered boat. I even used to compete in steering events using this system. Thankfully our pond had sloping sides, so it was usually just a new prop and rudder required when it went pear shaped. (I always imagined Flash steam ran with millions of pounds of pressure, but I think the result of a visit to the bank would have been spectacular.(different thread)
Last year I got hold of a plan for a Cachalot and built a new one fitted with an OS32, which is quicker than the old Merco. On one of our open days I run it in a dry dock for pleasure cruisers, even with modern radio equipment, this tends to keep your consentration up, as there IS no room for error. The public enjoy it though.

Bob.

MTB

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 12:43:47 am »

You are right about no one being at the pond for many years Bugsey and I am hoping to change that over the next year or two.
I can only imagine that others have made enquiries similar to my own about using the pond and met the same council (employee) resistance. As I have a deep hatred of jobs-worths telling me what I can and can't do without good reason (the norm' for Camden) I persisted passed these self appointed gaurdians of their own interests to find that no rules had been changed and the public (you and I, the payers of this park) had every right to use it. Although I have only been up there recently with a couple of my 1980's 27Mhz models the children enjoyed it so much that we have every intention of making it a regular thing once the weather settles down. I would not like to see the noise of petrol and diesel engines there as that would give the kill-joys the ammunition they need to ban it however properly run I think model boats have a place in a lot of lives in London and might well bring a lot of families together who otherwise might not spend any time having fun.
The amount of interest from people passing by was amazing.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:15:07 pm »

Hi Bugsey and MTB.  It would be nice to know that model boating was going on at the Highgate pond.
It is easy to defeat the jobsworth!  Just form your self into a club register it locally through the local library / information service, with a contact name.  Say what you are there for, you can exclude i/c for instance.
This gives you status, there are very few areas of water without some organisation, fishing etc claiming rights over them.  Here you have a named facility and you are doing what is says on the label (notice) so to speak!
Decide to meet each Sunday morning or when ever and just get on with it.  Don't forget to invite members to join you, you might be surprised by the turn out.
Really hope you succeed
Roy

MTB

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:06:58 pm »

Thanks Roycv thats good thinking. Will be down the library tomorrow to find out what I have to do.
MTB (also a Roy) ;D

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 04:15:39 pm »

Hi MTB I have sent you a PM.
Roy

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 11:23:13 pm »

I pop along to get your "club" off to a good start. ;)

MTB

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 10:10:42 pm »

Thanks Zetec I'll post here when I know what's happening however when we are thinking of having a day there I'll also post it here. bit too breezy today me thinks. ::) :o
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.