Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: crab boat build  (Read 11875 times)

toptugger

crab boat build
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:34:10 am »

here are the first few pictures of my 10 hatch coaster crab boat build.

radio gear going in..with a lot of help from dave at action electronics :-))

Fwd deck about to get a small modification

modification done

decks fitted and filler ready for sanding down

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Re: crab boat build
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:38:14 pm »

Hy Toptugger,
This is going to be an interesting build, looking forward to more pics, whats the electrics.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

toptugger

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:40:52 pm »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/King%20Crab%20Catcher%20-%20Mark%20Murphy.pdf

check out this link bosun its the diagram dave did for me. i'll be adding the bow thuster when i have the money to pay for it. :-))

hopefully i will be doing a test float sometime after i have got it fitted.

toptugger

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »

here are the next pictures of the build.

The superstructure is next to be built, but halfway through i decided i didn't like the look of it...

so i decided to scratch build a new wheelhouse.

i prefer the look of the wheelhouse going right across the deck as thats how most of the king crab boats look.

next i fitted steps at the rear

last night was the leak check, which was a success :-)), she's sitting very high in the water but that will change as the build progresses and she gets heavier.

got a bit of filling and rubbing down to do now.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:21 pm »

`Hy TT
Looking good mate, are you going to build the gunwhales up, and have  you any ideas on making the pots.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

dan

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:52:37 pm »

hi tugtopper,
I'm looking forward to seeing this build. it looks like you've done a very good job so far  :-)) 
Do you watch Deadliest Catch on the discovery channel? because the model could easily look like one of those vessels.

toptugger

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:54:11 am »

Bosun...the pots are about to start construction in the very near future, they will be assembled from wire frames that will be soldered together on a jig and then covered with mesh. I will need to make 3 jigs, 1 for the sides, one for the top and bottoms, and one for assembly. I guess i will make about 20-30 pots depending on when i run out of mesh. As for the gunwhales, they are on the way, they will be scratch built as one side will be quite high.

Dantheman.. you are spot on about deadliest catch, if you put a search in for toptugger you will find my other topics, which shows the progression of ideas that brought me to this stage. I have watched many episodes of the programme with my camera in hand gathering research and have to scroll through many more episodes :o

As well as the pots and the gunwhales and finishing the superstructure i need to build all the equipment for the wheelhouse, so i'll keep you posted :-))

Del-boy1958

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 07:16:23 am »

Hi Toptugger
This is a nice idea and the coaster is a good starting point.
I made pots from wire and copper mesh for a lobster boat
and a jig is a great help to get them all looking the same.

Derek

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:26 am »

It's looking good, so far, toptugger.

As an "off subject" (sorry) I was wondering about the printed numbers on your plastic sheets. I always fit them with the numbers inwards, as they might show up through the paint job.

Does anyone have any ideas about their removal, (liquid or rubbing down) ?   ok2

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:30 am »

Ken
They just wipe off with a touch of white spirit or meths.
FLJ

toptugger

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:49:59 pm »

The next installment... This was my first attempt at making a pot. i had a lot of trouble getting the solder to stick to the frame but this is probably due to having no degreaser!

First of all was a simple former to hold the frames as i solder them. The wire is taped to the former to hold it steady.

The first of many frames.

The complete set of frames for one pot.

next stage was to fix the mesh to the frames, this is where problems started. I bonded the frames to the wire and then cut the frame out when it was dry, i used 5 min epoxy for this but i am not convinced this is the best way to go as they did not stick very well and the epoxy looks very messy, i may try to solder them next time.

The final item, again epoxied together. The finish is a bit messy and not up to the standard i had hoped. if anyone has ideas on how to put the frames together it would be very useful. epoxy is not the way forward. A big problem is that the mesh goes on the inside of the pot so the mating surfaces don't mate very well because of the mesh getting in the way. even so.. a good first effort and plenty to learn from it.

wbeedie

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:56:22 pm »

Not sure if a member here but this is one of Trawlercooks scratch built crabbers on Shipsnostalgia
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/118643/ppuser/2083/sl/t

this one gives a good idea for the basic accomodation and wheel house

And the rest of his gallery but a couple of other crabbers on it some cracking work
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/1/ppuser/2083/sl/t

dan

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »

the pot you have made looks very realistic  :-))

toptugger

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »

wbeedie... thanks for that link its a cracker :-)), some really good pictures, gives me some ideas on things i was struggling with especially the forward mast with the flood lights on.

wbeedie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »

No problems TT :-)) looking good so far also another forum  if you google northwestern forums and look at some of the photos on there :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »

Very nice crab pot, Can't wait to see the boat finished.

A quickie crab pot I did a few years ago.
Plastic coated wire and bridal twill and a bit o' slop...  %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:27:33 am »

Ken
They just wipe off with a touch of white spirit or meths.
FLJ

Thanks FLJ. I was sanding them and it tended to ruin the surface.  :((

next stage was to fix the mesh to the frames, this is where problems started. I bonded the frames to the wire and then cut the frame out when it was dry, i used 5 min epoxy for this but i am not convinced this is the best way to go as they did not stick very well and the epoxy looks very messy, i may try to solder them next time. 

You are going to need a 'flux', either in the solder or a separate pot of the stuff, for good soldering connections.

Regarding the wire mesh being attached to the frames, is this placed on top of the frame or fitted inside the shape ? I would have tended to cut the square mesh first and surround it with the wire, whilst flat on the bench and soldered the lot together in one go. You would then have a series of flat shapes to solder together, making a box.

Hope this helps.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

toptugger

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »

i've not had a lot of time recently to do much on the boat but here are a few more little things that i have done.

this is the bait area, including the chopping machine. ( only roughly put together for the pic. still needs work.)

the forward deck almost done, just requires filling and tidying and the anchor fitting

probably not very noticeable, but a bit of modification to the crane to allow it to be fitted to the deck and also to try and make it look smaller. Being 1/32 it is a bit to large. i may end up not using it but still undecided. i had to reduce the length of the beams to make it smaller.

a general overview of the project so far

hopeitfloats

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 04:26:14 am »

toptugger.. have you considered making your pots in plastic. i know you can get plastic mesh for fencing used on model railroads and plastic strip. could be easier than soldering/gluing metal.

toptugger

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 05:05:22 am »

hopeitfloats.... you just made me chuckle! that is the single biggest problem i have. Because the pots are made fom piano wire they are a nightmare to solder.

It just never occured to me to make them from plastic!! that may well be the answer to the problem. As i have said in previous threads, the thing i really enjoy about this hobby is learning new things , especially when they are so obvious because it makes me laugh.

so, off to the model shop for some plastic rod

hopeitfloats

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 11:41:40 am »

:-)) pleased to be some help. to be honest i didnt think your attempts were that bad though but if you have more success with plastic could you please put up a photo or two.   craig

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »

I could swear that somewhere I posted a plastic coated wire and bridal twill crab pot... {:-{

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 04:17:38 pm »

hopeitfloats,

Mate have a look back in the thread at post 15 said pic is there for all to see......... :-)) :-))

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

toptugger

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 11:38:14 pm »

Umi... i like your pots, i think they look a damn sight better than mine. i  will be having a search for some plastic coated wire on the internet because my local shops don't have it <:(
the quest for success with these pots will continue, doing them from steel wire is so time consuming so the plastic coated wire should makel life easier.

more pictures will follow in time

hopeitfloats

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 10:05:42 am »

uummmm.  well they looked so real i thought they were full size ones. :embarrassed:  ( does that get me out of an embarrassing situation)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.