Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mosquito repellent?  (Read 10973 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Mosquito repellent?
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »

Can anyone recommend from personal experience a good mosquito repellent?
 I've read somewhere that you can even help the situation buy what you eat or drink.... OK, what?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ronkh

Re: Mosquito repellent?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »

Can anyone recommend from personal experience a good mosquito repellent?
 I've read somewhere that you can even help the situation buy what you eat or drink.... OK, what?

I suppose it depends on how much you drink. If you get totally legless then you shouldn't have a worry.
Food wise, perhaps a very hot curry and see what happens with any after effects. I,e the f##ts. A natural repellant!  ;D

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:34:59 pm »

Usually whatever the local pharmacy sells for the job.  The locals know their own mossies better than we do.
Dom Rep, lots of Cuba Libre applied internally.  Cyprus, Brandy Sour.  This contains lemon juice, so probably counts towards one of your daily five.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Garabaldy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

Where is it you plan on going martin?

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »

Jungle formula thats the stuff that works in Scotlamd Martim,where you going??

Stav

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:52 pm »

Okay Martin,

From a man who lives with them during our long hot summers.....

Eat plenty of garlic. They don't like it and can taste it on the skin.

Don't go too near still water as they breed in it.

Use Citronella candles when sat outside. they are very effective.

Use any spray containing lemon. You can buy it to spray on the arms and legs and even to apply to the ground around where you are sitting.

Stick to any of these rules and you should be fine. I rarely get bitten by the blighters and when I have been it is because I have broken the rules...
Barry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 06:20:31 pm »

Jamaica, to see my Mum & Dad.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »

my only experience with them has been on the west coast with scotland.  Sitting round the camp fire was usually a good solution as they hate the smoke.  Barrys advice sounds good though.

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »

as footski says, citronella from a chemist. but you can also buy it in liquid and spray on form and smells like lemon. hence its name. works very well. good luck, neil, :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »

Martin,

I always found 3 or 4 pints of lager kept them off me, oh and an air conditioned bar  {-)

Doug
Don't Assume Check

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:14:59 pm »

Martin,

Special Forces, the Marines and Scottish forestry workers are reputed to use Avon's 'Skin So Soft' Dry Oil Body Spray. Fortunately, the smell is quite mild and so you won't get any funny looks and may be able to pass yourself off as SBS. I've tried it on walks on the West Coast of Scotland where midgies can bore through armour plate and had good results. The secret seems to be to reapply a coat at regular intervals.

Regards

Barry  M

logoman

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 08:22:32 pm »

a second vote for the AVON stuff.

DARLEK1

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »

What about a flame thrower?
 Paul??? :-)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »

AVON thirded. We sent a scout troop up to the highlands a couple of years ago with the stuff and it really worked if applied fairly often as Barry noted.

Happy swatting

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:48:58 pm »

Martin,

The DSM suffers terribly with mossie bites and has found that the only thing that works is a good spray down with DEET - at least 50% strength. We have investigated all the other "old wive's cures" - eating special foods, vitamins, yeast extract etc, and taken medical advice, which dismisses all of them out of hand. We also utilise an electric "mossie-zapper", burning tablets, in the room at night.

Off to India next month - must remember to restock.

Rick

andyn

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 12:10:45 am »

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=854

This stuff is so powerful, it can melt clothes, take the die out of them, melt plastic, and make a general mess of everything. It'll even keep the missus away if you put enough on....

It's 100% pure DEET...

Follow the directions EXACTLY, and write a copy of them, "why" I hear you ask, because it melts the label stuck to it O0

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 06:49:21 am »

First you guys should be told that Martin does not drink alcohol. You also need to know that some of the products you recommend are not readily available in some parts of the world. As for the advice about what the locals use, I often find that "locals" are less bothered by the local pests and/or a tolerance is built up.

I agree that plenty of garlic eaten and rubbed on the back of the hands and neck helps. Especially the latter for midges in Scotland which I have found to be worse than mosquitoes. I find citronella candles pleasent when sitting still in the evening but I have my doubts how effective they are unless you "kipper" yourself in the smoke, then as somebody said, any smoke will do. There are also repellant coils for burning but again - unless the air is almost still and you are enveloped in smoke, not a lot of use.

I also believe that individuals vary in their attraction or repulsion of mosquitoes, probably something to do with the pheromones exuded or just the level of good honest sweat. It also seems to me that mosquitoes vary by region and season.

I suffer particularly badly if bitten but my wife, bitten by the same bug (or its relative) just has a mild, momentary itch.

In France I use a pump spray "Off" (imaginative name, eh?) and it works for me but I guess, Martin, you just will have to experiment a bit or failing that just bask in the love of your family and forget about the bugs!

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

Well Martin,

After reading all of the above, you must be more confused than ever....I know I am and I live in a region where mosquitoes are in abundance........Oh and I don't get bitten by the devils......well not very often anyway..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:59:31 am »

Mayhem to the rescue again gentlemen, thanks.

I've now heard quite a few people talk about this Avon (calling!) Skin So Soft stuff working as an unexpected mozzie repellent
and low-and-behold my Mrs magiced one up out of thin air last night on request! I'll take a couple of bottles methinks, last time I was in JA
I nearly ended up in hospital with the bites. 'Jungle formula' & eating garlic also come with personal recommendations so I'll take those too.

True, I am Almost teetotal but not quite. Me and the Mrs take turns when drinking, it her turn this lifetime......  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:21 am »

You could always wear a Burka Martin....

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 10:25:46 am »

Let us know how you got on, Martin.

Have a good time.

Barry M

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:08 am »

The successful midgeater machines convert propane into damp, warm CO2, which screams "breakfast" to the simple-minded blood-feeding bu99ers that live up here in the west coast of Scotland.

So, Martin, you won't have a problem with bites if you don't breathe out.  %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

dave301bounty

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:57 am »

I knew it . That,s where i,ve seen you . Martin. bathing in the pool at the Mirimar Club in Kingston.  and mossies don,t like ,,Mount gay rum  . :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 02:06:15 pm »

"Martin. bathing in the pool at the Mirimar Club in Kingston"... Yep, that's me, I was conversing with James Bond!

Mount gay rum? I thought 5 Sovereign rum was the one to drink?

dave301bounty

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 07:21:50 pm »

Martin.. if i can swim and drink Mount gay in the Mirimar .so can you . We are just as good as  James ....?  You go out there with your missus .have a good time ,  and think of us lot still in this cold and most unfriendly weather .Say hello to Kingston for me please .loved it when i was there ..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.