Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporter to carry models boats from cars to lake  (Read 4836 times)

wallace

Transporter to carry models boats from cars to lake
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:00:33 pm »

Hello to one and all there must be someone out there that has or know about transporting boats from the car to the lake which are heavy to carry along way saw a good one at the show this week end  but it has to go in the car fold down not to heavy to lift and takes the weight of the boats etc.  wallace

dan

Re: Transporter to carry models boats from cars to lake
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:11:13 pm »

hi wallace,
what sort of weight and size of boats are we talking about?

wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:07 pm »

Hi dan thanks for replying this site gets better every day.Well my boats are all big  4 foot , and one  just over 4 foot and the one Im building now is  5 foot so we are talking around fully loaded with lead and battries 56lbs its getting to heavy for me its a good job I have a wonderful wife and sister in law and friends at the club who help me lift the boats to the water and to the car  but I would like to do it myself.   wallace

dan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »

wow those are pretty big models can you post some pictures? anyway back to the transport. i know a boater that transports his Boston typhoon from the car to the lake (which is a good 150m - 200m) using a modified wheel chair ( i hope he doesn't mind me mentioning). i think that what he has done is taken away the back rest and cut wooden planks and made them able to be fitted and removed when necessary from the seating part. this means the chair is near enough the right height to slide the model in and out of the car, and then the seat can be folded flat when not in use.

knoby

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »

Hi Wallace, apart from model boats, my other passion is fishing. there are now a number of collapsable barrows available for transporting your fishing tackle from the car to the lake. they come in all shapes & sizes with 1, 2,3 & even 4 wheels. they are not the cheapest things on the planet, but a look on flea bay or some of the carp fishing forums might provide a cheap 1. If not you might get some ideas to make something from them. I use 1 to transport all sorts of things including boats & its invaluable. hope this helps
cheers Glenn.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:05 pm »

wow those are pretty big models can you post some pictures? anyway back to the transport. i know a boater that transports his Boston typhoon from the car to the lake (which is a good 150m - 200m) using a modified wheel chair ( i hope he doesn't mind me mentioning). i think that what he has done is taken away the back rest and cut wooden planks and made them able to be fitted and removed when necessary from the seating part. this means the chair is near enough the right height to slide the model in and out of the car, and then the seat can be folded flat when not in use.

Hi Wallace

Here she is.....   It was as Dan says, "converted", and does indeed fold flat to go in the car. The box is removable and is made in the shape of a boat stand, so any model can go in. I've also made a box to clip into the side for the R/C and stuff.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »

Hello to one and all there must be someone out there that has or know about transporting boats from the car to the lake which are heavy to carry along way saw a good one at the show this week end  but it has to go in the car fold down not to heavy to lift and takes the weight of the boats etc.  wallace

You need a son.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »

Skips and second hand shops do a wonderfull line in collapsable baby buggies.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

wallace

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:16 pm »

thanks Ian

wallace

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:45:51 pm »

Heres some photos as requested by Stantheman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »

Bit of a dark horse Wallace ?

Did you make them ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dan

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:03 pm »

beautiful looking models. did you make them? and have yo thought of a way to transport them yet?

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:38:36 pm »

why no make that a matter of family?
In the Mexican way to do the things, when I went to the lake I take  the brother of my Wife, some time I take the boy firend one of my daugthers, him carry the heavy thing and I carry the radio ;)
Best wishes

wallace

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

hi Godo,lovely to read your reply and I do think we all do the same my darling wife is always helping me load the car and the lifting out as well also carries the boats to the water for me.Oh to be fit again and have the strengh to do it all what are we like . best wishes  wallace

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:59 pm »

Oh to be fit again and have the strength to do it all what are we like . best wishes  ce

I'm with you on this Wallace. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

wallace

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:10 pm »

Hi to all and to answer your questions about the photos that I posted.Yes is the answer I did make the boat all on my own I do try and make the last one better than the other one all my boats have won 1st prize at our club and it makes me so proud to win the awards after so many months of hard work as upto 4 years ago I had never done anything like this before was always working and then you get hit by an illness and you change your life and the way you do things.I use this site as there are alot of good people on here who are better builders than me and who have really help me god bless you all  many many many thanks  wallace

wallace

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 06:55:20 pm »

Hi Richard  many thanks for your replies glad you like the boats there is one missing it was my last build will have to find the photo and show you.

best wishes   wallace

wallace

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »

http://   Hi  as promised I have found the missing boat hope you like
Both models are from model slipway

grandad

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:25 am »

have you thought of getting a snall utility trailor
outfitting it out to fit the models and build a cover to protect then intransit to the lake
here in South Carolina we can drive right down  to the waters edge and unload our boats right into the water

grandad

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 11:14:41 am »

There have been a couple of articles in MB about converting golf trollies for our purposes.

I picked one up at a car boot sale for £2 (!) recently and I'm in the middle of converting it right now. Things to look for ones with big wheels, some of them are positively minute, but mine has wheels about 12" diameter and with 3" wide 'treads'. Also look for one with a wide main bar, some of them have just tubes about 1" in diameter, but mine has an oval tubular main bar around 9" x 3". They too fold down, but end up quite long and thin rather than the square and flat shape of a wheelchair.

When I brought this thread to my wife's notice the first thing she said was 'Keep your eyes off MY wheelchair!'  ok2 {-)
Regards
Kit

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »

And don't forget the well sprung "Reliant three wheeler" ATV buggy that todays kids have to have.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.