Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just a few questions  (Read 2384 times)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
just a few questions
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:55:40 am »

morning people,

just a few questions to help me on my way to getting my Severn lifeboat back on the water...

1: will a electric motor run the same RPM forwards as well as the same RPM backwards  ??

2: how many channels would a bow thruster take up   ??

3: my ESC runs 100% forwards and 50% reverse will it just run the motors this way or will the throttle be proportional via my transmitter  ??

think thats all i can think of for the time being, once ive got over the blonde moment i should get it wired up again and sailing

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:24:11 pm »

Jay,
For an electric motor to run the same speed forward and reverse it's timing has to be '0' (no advance/retardation).  There can still be a slight difference between those speeds but usually not all that much.  If you could catagorize motors as 'racing' and 'normal', then the 'normal' motors should work just fine.

A bow thruster will usually require one channel, depending on how it's set up.  For -independent- control figure one channel.  Bow thrusters can also be wired so that they turn on with full throw of the rudder.  In that case, no seperate channel is required.

Almost all ESCs allow proportional throttle control no matter what it's ratings for amount of power (100%F - 50%R).  The percentages apply to the amount of current supplied to the motor in that particular direction.  [The 'almost' in the first sentence is a 'hedge' cuz I'm not familiar with all ESCs.  There's bound to be one that doesn't allow proportional throttle control, I just haven't seen it.]

At my age I don't have 'blonde' moments.  It's called 'C.R.S.' syndrome, and is usually expected of 'old farts'.  Makes for a good excuse anyway...
 - 'Doc

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 03:46:55 pm »

As far as I know Doc the only ESC's that don't turn backwards are some of the car and aeroplane type, some of the car ones do but not to many, none of the aircraft ones do for obvious reasons...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:22:38 pm »

smart cheers for the help guys at least i wont have a problem with wiring now.
bob aka shipmate60 has kindly offered his knowledge and wisdom in helping me get my severn back on the water.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 08:11:42 pm »

It will be all your own work Jay, I just gave you some options.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.