Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pride and shame of the Luton Military Welcome Home Parade  (Read 12805 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pride and shame of the Luton Military Welcome Home Parade
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »

Did anyone see Question Time last night, Baroness Warzi (I think thats how you spell it) herself a muslim made some very good points. She used some of the same language and expressed most of the sentiments that has been used and made on this thread.

The best bit was when she took on some muslim males in the audience `most unusual in the religion` boy the look on their faces was something to behold.

If only there were more people like her I am sure we could all swing along together.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

DARLEK1

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 12:08:46 am »

Sorry guys, it might be just me, but, we should not let this topic slip down the list.

Paul... %)

andygh

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 12:48:17 am »

All this attention is giving them exactly what they want  <:(

DARLEK1

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 01:53:43 am »

So saying nothing, is doing what exactly? :o
 Paul... <*<

ronkh

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 10:31:02 am »

If they do not want to go back to their "home-land" for whatever reason, though no freedom of speech springs to mind, (also I seem to of heard somewhere that our soldiers are fighting there to try to make the places a little bit safer? I may be wrong though).
Plus they can not be deported (against their yuman rights innit), and as it seems that they hate this country so much (but not the benefit system - strange that), why not give them their own little place of Paradise?
One of them is still part of the British Isles.
Two places spring to mind:-

Gruinard and/or Bikini island. Germs attract germs.

Ron.

wbeedie

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21:41 pm »

Gruinard clean now a wee corner of Porton Down

ronkh

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »

Gruinard clean now a wee corner of Porton Down

Don't tell 'em!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2009, 07:00:19 pm »

I hear on the radio today that some MP has called for a ban on demonstrations and actions disrespecting our military! Do you think he could possibly be looking  in on Mayhem occasionally??

wbeedie

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2009, 07:11:52 pm »

Either that or he is a member of a site I am on ,this one has been quite tame compared with discussions there

Mark47

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »

I agree with a lot of sentiments here, if you come to "our contry", GREAT BRITAIN (not England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, but the whole of the UK. Then respect our laws/culture/service men and women . We are trying to give your kindred a safe and economical future to build on as we have in all our history that the politicions feel fit to get involved in. You should not come here to bring your laws and culture but to get a better life. If we can give it, then let us. But I keep watching this thread O0 and really want to comment, on our sacrifice to accomplishing this. I have departed friends in IRA conflict, 1st Gulf war, 2nd Gulf war and now Afghanistan. Just to give others a better life. PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN, AND THEN GIVE RESPECT. I think these protesters lack Respect and it's up to us to give and then to teach it.....Ignorance is the biggest evil, and I think these protesters are just ignorant. O0 O0

wbeedie

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:02 pm »

MAybe ignorant or misguided but should as you say live by our ways as we would be expected in these countries

MCR

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »

The right to protest is one which we need to uphold at all cost even if some abuse this privilege.
Can I make one point however?
The if they want to come to GB they have to follow our rules mob.
"If they come to our country they have to learn our language" is a nonsense how many ex army lads among you learned the language on tour in Hon Kong , Burma,  India or the construction workers in Saudi or the UAE. or the pensioners off to Spain to drink warm beer in the Dog and Duck while watching fools and horses for the 50th time

Roger in France

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »

Quite a good article in "The Sunday Times" today saying what fools these protestors are and that they do their causes no favours. It also suggests we should all laugh at the more bizarre stances some of them take.

There was also a fascinating video on the BBC Web Site the other day with a cleric saying that mice are the agents of Satan and should be destroyed. He went on to say that " Tom and Gerry" set a bad example to children and that Mickey Mouse should be exterminated! I don't think it was a spoof but it certainly had me laughing.

Of course I accept that many extreme points of view can be threatening and dangerous and some should be prohibited but I also think a good dose of derisory laughter is an approch we can all adopt, every day.

Roger in France

Mark47

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:03 pm »

The right to protest is one which we need to uphold at all cost even if some abuse this privilege.
Can I make one point however?
The if they want to come to GB they have to follow our rules mob.
"If they come to our country they have to learn our language" is a nonsense how many ex army lads among you learned the language on tour in Hon Kong , Burma,  India or the construction workers in Saudi or the UAE. or the pensioners off to Spain to drink warm beer in the Dog and Duck while watching fools and horses for the 50th time

"If they come to our country they have to learn our language" is a nonsense" If People emigrate here and stay for, lets say 5-10 years, it would be a comman courtesy. Don't you think???? If I went abroad, the first thing I would learn is basics. I would not like ripped off, cause lets face it. There are people everywhere in the world, that will take advantage of a wounded bird. O0

MCR

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:49 pm »

Sure would be common courtesy but I repeat how many English learn the language when overseas?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

Why do people insist on putting black writing on a red background ?

If you are colour blind you cant read it. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bee

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2009, 10:02:45 pm »

Hmmmmm   must be mistaken but I thought Luton was in Bedfordshire , ENGLAND, in that bit known as East Anglia, and weren't the troops from the Anglian Regiment so having affinity to that area?

Or have I missed something?

'Nuff said'

I dare not add any more to this topic or it might be seen as not P.C.!

Rex

For the benefit of non UK residents it is worth noting that Luton is a very long way from East Anglia which rather proves my point.
It has clearly worked very well in diverting attention from the ecenomic incompetance of the government for a few days so we should look forward to some more such parades in Bradford, Leicester, and Southall whenever they want some suitable headlines.
This is very appropriate use of the military whose purpose is not primarily to fight foreign wars. Their actual function is to bolster the power base of the Govenment and so if it suits the govenment to divert attention by stiring up local racial hatred then that is what they will be used for.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:11 pm »

What a total difference to the US attitude though.
The military are respected in the ports I have visited and talking to US servicemen none would expect to have to take their uniforms off before leaving the base.
Also you can fly the flag with PRIDE and it is expected.
Something of an opposite situation here.
My main concern now is with all the major parties being oh so PC where does this leave the non-PC patriotic voter?
Straight in the arms of the "New" BNP, they already have a handful of councillors.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

MCR

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2009, 10:52:27 pm »

Define non-patriotric voter please.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2009, 10:56:52 pm »

nope.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

MCR

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2009, 11:01:51 pm »

Reply says it all.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:16 am »

What a total difference to the US attitude though.
The military are respected in the ports I have visited and talking to US servicemen none would expect to have to take their uniforms off before leaving the base.
Also you can fly the flag with PRIDE and it is expected.
Something of an opposite situation here.
My main concern now is with all the major parties being oh so PC where does this leave the non-PC patriotic voter?
Straight in the arms of the "New" BNP, they already have a handful of councillors.

Bob

Although the US did have to go through a phase where the Vietnam vets were a pariah. And they have come out the other side of this now.
I also think 9-11 had a huge impact on the American psychology, that may also have helped to change sentiments towards their military.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 09:50:11 am »

Define non-patriotric voter please.

I would say that I would fall in this group.

Anybody who knows me would agree I'm not the most PC person you'll ever meet, but I am Patriotic, I've served my country & even now given the opportunity would gladly do so again, I stand up for all that makes us great & against the things for which we should be ashamed.

I will Fly a St Georges or Union Flag from my home if I wish, I will vote for who I think is best for England, regardless of Party, if you dont want to be a part of my country & embrace the way we are & support men & women who have more bravery & integrity than most, "xxxxx" off home.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:15 pm »

Slight problem arises with the "Law of the land" theory, in that WE are still having to live down the remnants of "Empire"  Seem to remember that WE imposed our own rules and regs on the various parts of the world that we infested under the banner of Empire. We did some quite naughty things at times and I wonder if the "I was only following orders" excuse that has been dished out so many times from defeated parties would have been used if the situations had been reversed.

Yes MCR, when I've been abroad I've tried to use the local language albeit broken and NOT doing the English trait of SHOUTING to make oneself understood, it's a matter of common courtesy. Well it is to ME anyroad.

Don't worry about the "Protest" vote Bob, after the initial shock, the "Normal" parties gang up on that other one and choose "Not to recognise them" and do their own thing regardless. You need a CONTROLLING council of "The others" to make any difference so it ain't going to happen. It certainly makes them sit up though, did in Bradford.

We've had a bit of a flurry again and now the main point of conversation will settle down to smokescreens like 50P/unit of alcohol and why we're NOT going to implement it, do I smell an impending election???

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

MAybe ignorant or misguided but should as you say live by our ways as we would be expected in these countries
Although I totally agree with you, we should not forget that when we had an "Empire" the Brirish dressed and acted completely "British" and took no notice whatsoever of the sensibilities of the local inhabitants. And don't think that attitude was a long time ago. It certainly prevailed well into the 1970s. Although the "Americans Abroad" were even more "crass", I'm not surprised that we are "disliked" in some quarters. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.