Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New fast charge /discharge batterys  (Read 2051 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
New fast charge /discharge batterys
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:52:54 pm »

This popped up on my home page news slot today , the thing is how will it effect your sailing .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7938001.stm
Just think your at the side of the pond with your fast electric on the water , 12v battery on the bank connected charging to your next 7.2v pack  and your battery on the boat dies , if you have the new l-ion cells your ready for the next circut if you have the old cells you have to wait .
Not sure if it will effect us ?? .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Islander1951

Re: New fast charge /discharge batterys
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:57:42 pm »

These batteries should stay cool under most conditions,and are lighter than NiMh, so should be perfect for running a bow thruster, lights, and smoker, and anything else you can think of, all at the same time and without changing the boat's balance too much.
   The fast electric boys are going to love them, and I can see benefits for yachts too

Just my opinion, but I think that these are going to be BIG, LiPoly power without the dangerous drawbacks

Not to mention, very fast charge:  phones
                                                drills
                                               Vacuum cleaners
                                                hedge cutters
                                               lawn mowers
                                               any thing else you can think  of that uses power.

Edward

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:41:35 am »

It looks like there will be a couple of years before they become commercially available.  There will probably be another couple of years before production ramps up to include the competition and prices come down to Lithium levels.  Provided that there are not too many pitfalls in charging and discharging, they will have an enormous effect on performance models for power to weight, and on small models just from the weight point of view.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:49:49 pm »

Of course in all this hype about the fast charge they have forgotten about the power required to fast charge a battery.

For example a 4AH 7.2V one of these thingies - to charge it in 30 seconds as per the reports, you will need a charger capable of delivering 480 amp. This corresponds to a power of about 3500Watts. Fancy mucking around with that amount of power - me neither.  Even if you could get a power supply and charger that can stand it, chances are the battery couldn't

Situation is even worse for a car.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:55:27 pm »

now thats a thought  , one wrong move and you have welded your spade ends together  :embarrassed: .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Islander1951

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »

But at 8 to12 amps, without the fear that it's going to blow up in your face....... 

Edward.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:01 am »

TBH, I think that is always going to be a risk when you get high energy densities in batteries. You are pushing the materials to the limit. OK so the current crop of LiPos can be extreme but it is a consequence of the application.  I suspoect a lot of the problems with LiPOs in models is because they are being pushed outside of their comfort zone - the cells are not really designed for that sort of fast charge/discharge

The bit that interests me about the new technology is they reckon that it does not lose capacity over time. This offers the biggest benefit - not having to replace your cells every few years

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.