Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bring back feet and inches...  (Read 13372 times)

Big Ada

Re: Bring back feet and inches...
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 06:58:49 pm »

I will use metric if when I measure something the tape measure aligns with metric,otherwise I stick to Imperial
You can divide 12 by 2,3,4,and 6.

If you look at something that you need to guess at its size,I find I can be close with Imperial but miles ( kilometers ) out with Metric.

Try and guess the distance between the smilies.

;)                                                                                                                                                             %).

das boot

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »

I was an apprentice, and I was taught in both units- it was a requirement, but I do notice that people a few years younger than me (I'm 36 BTW) are now completely confounded by imperial measurement.

Personally I've always considered metric to be a far more logical and easy to work with, and only switch to imperial if necessary (rare).

Andy

Only 36? A mere sprog Andy... %)

Rich

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »

I was raised with the inch system, but subjected to metric when everyone was going to switch over for a universal system.  So much for that here in the U.S.A. We are still mired in the confusion of both.  Being a mechanical engineer, I had to used both, depending on the type of machine or where the machine was going.  Optical machinery is metric, period.  Machines going to Germany and other like exports, were metric.  Depending on the U.S. company's use of the machine, it would have been mainly inch, except when manufacturing for foreign companies for a metric product.  I learned to flip flop as easily as water slides off a duck's back and with the aid of a pocket calculator, rolled with the punches, when the occasion would rise.  So, my opinion is, BIG DEAL.  %% {-) ok2

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:47 am »

When my brother in law was learning the mechanics trade in the late '60s a nice new car was being fitted with the "extras".  After the job was complete, the "lads" wandered round, scratching heads and saying "Something is not right".  They eventually decided that the wing mirrors (60s, so down towards the front end of the wings) were placed differently.  The fitting measurement was x many inches from the front.  One was exactly x many centimetres.  Beware of two sided rulers and mates who want to talk and work at the same time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 09:27:00 pm »

Beware of two sided rulers.

Exactly the reason I only have metric rulers and tapes.

Peter.

omra85

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 09:49:01 pm »

I used to love watching the American DIY programmes - Norm Abrahams??
The use of every conceivable woodworking machine was one thing, but the sizes well ....
"so we'll use a piece of nine eights by four and a half inch pine, and fasten it with one penny nails ...."
.. and we think metric -v- imperial has problems ...   %% %% {-)
Danny

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 11:20:25 pm »

Many many years ago ......Australia experimented with the "Wyndam" system for education & I was in the guinea pig year  %% through out my complete education  <:(

Whilst working shift work........when I went to study "Heat Engines & Applied Heat" [ISBN 0304290815- by F Metcalfe] in the eveng class we used this new SI system.......when I attended day classes we used Imperial values.....

Naturally I failed that subject that year  >>:-( Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steamboatmodel

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 12:01:32 am »

When I was in High School we used Metrics in the Physics and Chemistry Labs, Metric & Imperial in Machine shop, Drafting and Auto Mechanics, and Imperial and US in Carpentry and plumbing, and they wondered why we could not keep things straight. It turned out as good training for when you went to work, everything mixed up and not a straight answer from anybody.
Regards,
Gerald
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.