Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Safety Loop"  (Read 3078 times)

vumphman

"Safety Loop"
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:46:09 pm »

I have seen in the rules of electric racing that the boat should be fitted with a "safety loop" which, when pulled, will disconnect the power supply to the motor.

I'd appreciate any ideas on either where to buy one that would be suitable to fit to my Kyosho Jet Stream 800, or some plans or suggestions on how to build one.

Thanks in anticipation.

andyn

Re: "Safety Loop"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:12:59 pm »

Far as I know you can't buy one, but all you need is a pack of gold bullet connecters and a short length of silicon coated wire.

One pair of connecters (the cylindrical pair) is soldered in the wire between the ESC and battery on one wire, and is epoxied into the hull so the open ends are outside and the wires are inside. The other pair (the bullet like pair) are soldered onto a short length of wire, and when you want to turn the boat on or off, you just plug it in or take it out.

vumphman

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:19:14 pm »

Excellent, andyn ... many thanks for your rapid reply ... just what I needed !!!!!

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »

Hi, I sell these 4mm gold connectors (2 male and 2 female) with heatshrink for £1.70 including postage to uk.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

andyn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:21:09 pm »

That's a great del actually, I usually pay £2.40 - £2.70 a pack, I'll get them off you in the future ;)

vumphman

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »

Thanks Mark ... but I have put a pull switch together from spare bits I had in my garage (left overs from a Micro Magic mast and a couple of non-working multimeters).  However, I've added your link to my "suppliers" favourites for future reference.

vumphman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:52 am »

Update!!!   The old mechanical speed controller has been replaces with a spanking new ESC, the motor has been treated to water cooling, the battery packs (which were old AA nicads) have been replaced with sub C racing units, and the safety loop system cobbled together out of bits I had lying around is in place.  All I need to do now is try her out ... tomorrow !!!   Hurrah !!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:15 am »

Might have been an idea to put your water outlet where the flow can  (or not)  be seen. Out the side or the transom.
..well can you land on this?

vumphman

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:43:34 am »

I know what you mean, Arrow5, but this is an inlet and outlet unit that sits under the hull and forces water in at the inlet and sucks it out at the rear.  I'll confirm that water is getting through with a short first run.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:16:01 pm »

Would you not feel better if you saw the stream exiting at all times ?  A leaf or debris could go in the inlet and you`d never know until you cooked the motor.
..well can you land on this?

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 05:43:14 pm »

Another note,seal the silicone pipe to the water coil,cable tie etc,quckest way to fill hull with water

vumphman

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »

Thanks for the tips, chaps!  I shall look into further modifications with alacrity!

vumphman

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »

When I say "alacrity" I mean "alacrity".   The commercial "unit" has been removed, and inlet and outlet pipes set in place with Rapid Araldite. The pipes to these have also been set in place, and have been fixed to the coil with cryo.  The logic of being able to see the cooling water coming out is unquestionable, as is the fixing of the tubing.  Thanks for the advice, and for the speed at which it was forthcoming.  Joining this Forum has proved its worth !!!

vumphman

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »

Previous post shows outlet at rear of hull.  This shows inlet pipe under the hull.

vumphman

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 04:22:51 pm »

I am pleased to report that all works well, and yes ... it is comforting to be able to see the water from to cooling system exiting from the rear of the boat.  A great tip, gratefully received !!!!!   Now all I have to do is learn how to take photos while I am operating the RC transmitter !!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.