Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifeboat Battery  (Read 4898 times)

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
Lifeboat Battery
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

I'm thinking of building a 1:16 scale lifeboat, either the Model Slipway Tamar or the Speedline Severn.

Both recommend the 600 Eco motors.  For these ACTion electronics recommend a  NiMH 9.6v 9000MAh battery.

Question:   Any comments on this combination ?

Also  i can't find this battery pack quoted for price or availability on the net

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lifeboat Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:38:21 pm »

You may have to make it up from single cells Peter. ModelPower don't have them in stock but Component Shop are quoting for them: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Also try searching for Vapex 10000mah battery - that's the one you need.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »

Component shop will make to order Ken http://www.component-shop.co.uk/
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mark47

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »

I must be way off with my Trent 1:16. I was reccomended 9.6 3300mah per speed controller and as long as not going flat out all the time (just in bursts now and again) should get a maximum of 40 minutes. I ordered 9.6 3700mah just to get a little more. What's the consensus on this?

Sorry to high jack your post but you may find the answers to my question helpfull :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:55:32 pm »

I was recomended 9.6 3300mah per speed controller and as long as not going flat out all the time (just in bursts now and again) should get a maximum of 40 minutes.
Presumably for two speed controllers? That's the direct equivalent of one 6600mah pack running both motors, but you can't get such beast. The highest capacity Sub-C pack is 4600mah and the next one up seems to be the D-size 9AH (now 10AH). That's  why such a pack is suggested but, like I always say, suit yourself.
FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:15:19 pm »

I was recommended 9.6 3300mah per speed controller and as long as not going flat out all the time (just in bursts now and again) should get a maximum of 40 minutes.
Presumably for two speed controllers? That's the direct equivalent of one 6600mah pack running both motors, but you can't get such beast. The highest capacity Sub-C pack is 4600mah and the next one up seems to be the D-size 9AH (now 10AH). That's  why such a pack is suggested but, like I always say, suit yourself.
FLJ

I don't think I'm getting what you mean. 1x motor (port), 1x ESC, 1x battery Nimh (9.6 3300mah). Running independently.
Starboard is the same.

I took it I could run each motor for 40 minutes at the same time with the above recommendation.

Mark47

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:48:55 pm »

Would it be better to run 2x 4.8v high mah per hour on each speed controller to get performance and long life (running times)?

Mark

andyn

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:51 pm »

You can always parallel as many packs as you like up, to create more milliamps per hour than you could ever know what to do with ;)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:34:18 pm »

I don't think I'm getting what you mean. 1x motor (port), 1x ESC, 1x battery Nimh (9.6 3300mah). Running independently.
Starboard is the same.
I took it I could run each motor for 40 minutes at the same time with the above recommendation.

The recommended 9AH pack applies to an installation which has ONE speed controller (P94) powering BOTH motors. It's easier to draw; easier to connect and easier to operate with the single pack. Using two separate packs with this unit is quite possible, but there are expensive pitfalls lurking there for those who don't follow the wiring diagrams exactly.
There are  one or two folk like that.
Guess how I know  ok2

FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:12:31 am »

That's making more sense to me O0 O0 O0.

As I have just returned to the hobby after many years of absence. Can you explain the financial pitfalls? I ask because being out of work, money is an issue. {:-{

This has been my order so far.......

Model slipway 1:16 Trent 36x12". 17lbs displacement.
Graupner 600 Eco motors max efficiency 7.5amp x 2, 1 per ESC.
9.6v NiMH 3700mAh x2, 1 per motor.
Viper 25 amp ESC x2, 1 per motor
40mm 4 blade brass props. (included in the list because this can make a difference in performance) Although scaled down.

Many thanks,

Mark

OMK

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 05:31:56 am »

Can you explain the financial pitfalls? I ask because being out of work, money is an issue.

Easy. All you need to do is read once again what FLJ has explained already. In particular, re-read the bit where he says: "...there are expensive pitfalls lurking there for those who don't follow the wiring diagrams exactly."
Now are you getting the picture?
In plain English, electronic parts have a nasty habit of dying if you connect them incorrectly... which means you then have to replace the part you have just killed. And THAT, my friend, would be your introduction to the world of expensive pitfalls.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:10:08 am »

Ken/Mark

I'm glad to have been of some  help here, but you have to appreciate that the diagram you have been looking at has two very important words in its header;

"Suggested" = You don't have  to do it like this

"ACTion Units" (OK - so that's two words) = Mark47 isn't using these, so the diagram becomes largely irrelevant.

Might I suggest contacting MTroniks for their advice on installing the radio equipment in conjunction with their ESC units in this model?

FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »

Ken/Mark

I'm glad to have been of some  help here, but you have to appreciate that the diagram you have been looking at has two very important words in its header;

"Suggested" = You don't have  to do it like this

"ACTion Units" (OK - so that's two words) = Mark47 isn't using these, so the diagram becomes largely irrelevant.

Might I suggest contacting MTroniks for their advice on installing the radio equipment in conjunction with their ESC units in this model?

FLJ

Thanks for your input FLJ :-))

I just came across your site last night. If I had come across it before ordering my products, I may have went this route instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.