Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS DARING  (Read 3512 times)

Anthony

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
HMS DARING
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:57:43 pm »

I have completed my model of HMS Daring a few weeks ago and a picture was published in Model Boats. Since then I have added fore and aft flood lights to the model together with a home built sound system incorporating a ships horn and a whoop - whoop siren, just for fun.

I drew the plans for the model based on information available on the BEA systems website. Due to my misinterpretation of information on the vessels propulsion system I designed and built my on water jet system thus my model has no visible propellers.

All the deck guns rotate and are controlled by radio. The Navigation, Bridge, rear hanger and deck flood lights are controlled by radio and com on in three different stages.

All the radar antenna's rotate controlled by to home built motor gearbox's, these are rubber belt driven.

I have attached a couple of photo's that may be of interest, Is anybody else building such a model, there are now plans available together with fibreglass hulls?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS DARING
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:08 pm »

I saw this one, apparently made by BAE Systems, in Britannia Naval College, Dartmouth recently.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:27:31 pm »

Very nice build Anthony  O0

Tell us a bit about the impressive looking electronics!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Anthony

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:36 pm »

In the electronics box there are the following items

On the far left in the base of the box there are three electronic switchers running off one radio channel, these switch on the lights, first the navigation lights, then the bridge house, bridge house desks lights and rear hanger lights and finally the fore and aft flood lights.

On the centre and right the are two sets of electronic controls that power the two radar drive motors, each system consists of a variable voltage regulator (1.5 to 5.5volts) followed by a speed controller - the speed controller is a pulse width modulation system (like modern motor speed controllers) and the frequency and pulse width can be both adjusted in oder to achieve the correct rotational speed.

On the top of the box is the sound system, this consists of two oscillators one producing a deep horn sound the other produces the Whoop - Whoop siren sound, the output stages are linked together to drive one speaker.

Hope this gives an idear of whats in the box, any more questions just ask, If you would like to see more pictures I have loads, I kept a photgraphic diary of the build.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:45:47 pm »

"I kept a photographic diary of the build.".... we love photographic builds here on Mayhem!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Anthony

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 03:16:42 pm »

Please find attached a selection of the Hull build photos. Superstructure build to follow in a second E-Mail

Anthony

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:32:42 pm »

Here are the photos of the superstructure

vts99

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »

where can you get the plans and hull from as i work for bvt (bae) and would love to build one  ;)

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 04:22:28 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.