Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glasgow Transport Museum  (Read 6807 times)

Mark47

Re: Glasgow Transport Museum
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:25 pm »

Smashing thread, Gingyer.

Thanks for going in for me. Pity my section on Paddler Steamers was closed off. Never mind, if all their models are like this, then it would well be worth a trip there myself.

When they move to new premises, is it their intention to have all the boats in one building ?

Perhaps we could have a Mayhem day there, with tea and scones after, eh!! Martin.  :-))

ken

My understanding - and I hope to be proved wrong - is that only a selection of maritime exhibits will be on show at the new museum on a rotating basis because of space constraints. For a city that was built on and made by the Clyde, it seems odd that shipping is having to take a subsidiary role behind land transport. The view appears to be that maritime matters are covered by the Scottish Maritime Museum with its bases at Irvine, Braehead and Dumbarton. However, as ever, the SMM is hanging on by its fingernails to survive chronic under-funding. The SMM Catch 22 is that they need Lottery Funding to kickstart them again but the Lottery Heritage Fund refuses funding because the SMM cannot demonstrate that it is a viable proposition - and without funding they cannot do that.  The Glasgow Transport Museum has far lesser funding problems being supported by Glasgow Council taxpayers.

Barry M

Any idea where the new site is and when it's opening? There has been talk about it for years and years. I guess it's finally going to happen.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 02:17:21 pm »

It is currently under construction on the River Clyde northern bank near the city centre. A radical design of building by one of the worlds greatest architects, a lady by the way. There are a few web pages with aerial photographs on the Glasgow Museums site. Maybe this could be Gingyer`s next photo excusion for us ???????
..well can you land on this?

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »

The new site is on what was yorkhill quay and like all the regeneration work on the clyde
it is being designed "like water" or a flaming eyesore >:-o
here is the link http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/showProject.cfm?venueid=7&itemid=33
Barry M reply is what the rumours are saying but know one really knows and It would not surprise me if they got rid of the ships
the entire museum is being designed around the steam engines and 3 street scenes  {:-{
We know it would be impossible to put all the models on display BUT
they intend to increase the amount of exhibits from 1200 to 3000 but are rumoured to be reducing
the amount of model ships with more models going out to the resource centres

There is very little to see of the new museum and it wont be ready till 2011

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »

Barry you mentioned the SMM at Irvine, Braehead and Dumbarton
I have not been to the Dumbarton museum but found the rest lacking and
not value for money especialy braehead.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 07:06:26 pm »

Gingyer,

That's a shame as Braehead won a 'Best Small Museum' award in 2005. Perhaps it tries to be all things to all people but it does present (I think) a decent few hours wandering. For those who do not know how a ship is built, it gives a good education.

Dumbarton houses the Denny test tank which until recently was still used by Strathclyde University for ship model testing. If you are interested in how commercial ship models are prepared and how these are tested in the wave tank (still one of the largest in Europe) then you'll find it worthwhile.

The big problem for the SMM is that for years it has run on a shoestring with a lot of (unpaid) work performed by volunteers. It has always had to prioritise preservation with insufficient funds with the result that it has not been able to keep up with the work load and ships neglected soon start to fall apart. The restoration of the puffer, Spartan, is almost complete and of the 19th c. Kyles is (I believe) still ongoing but these were/are being performed by donations-in-kind from commerial shipowners and shipyards. The SMM collection has now been officially recognised as the definitive Scottish collection but, when it comes to Government funding, it has to compete with other worthy causes, e.g. Scottish Mining Museum, and there is simply not enough money to go round. Given the present financial climate, this is not going to change in the short term.

The SMM has tried to keep a lot of vessels afloat when perhaps it can be argued that they would be better off bringing them ashore as static exhibits but all praise to them for trying.

Like everything else, it comes down to £sd.

Go here for revamped website http://www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/

Barry M

Mark47

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 07:08:02 pm »

Barry you mentioned the SMM at Irvine, Braehead and Dumbarton
I have not been to the Dumbarton museum but found the rest lacking and
not value for money especialy braehead.

The Dumbarton one, is the Denny Tank. Not been in it myself because the fliers only seem to devote the museum to the history of the tank itself. It was the first one ever made to test hulls before construction. If I do decide to throw money at it, I'll let you all know what's in it, and more importantly if it's worth a visit. "Big_bri" lives a little closer than me but not by much (10 mins in a car), may be he knows more about it and can tell us if it's worth the money/visit.

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »

Gingyer,

That's a shame as Braehead won a 'Best Small Museum' award in 2005. Perhaps it tries to be all things to all people but it does present (I think) a decent few hours wandering. For those who do not know how a ship is built, it gives a good education.

Dumbarton houses the Denny test tank which until recently was still used by Strathclyde University for ship model testing. If you are interested in how commercial ship models are prepared and how these are tested in the wave tank (still one of the largest in Europe) then you'll find it worthwhile.

The big problem for the SMM is that for years it has run on a shoestring with a lot of (unpaid) work performed by volunteers. It has always had to prioritise preservation with insufficient funds with the result that it has not been able to keep up with the work load and ships neglected soon start to fall apart. The restoration of the puffer, Spartan, is almost complete and of the 19th c. Kyles is (I believe) still ongoing but these were/are being performed by donations-in-kind from commerial shipowners and shipyards. The SMM collection has now been officially recognised as the definitive Scottish collection but, when it comes to Government funding, it has to compete with other worthy causes, e.g. Scottish Mining Museum, and there is simply not enough money to go round. Given the present financial climate, this is not going to change in the short term.

The SMM has tried to keep a lot of vessels afloat when perhaps it can be argued that they would be better off bringing them ashore as static exhibits but all praise to them for trying.

Like everything else, it comes down to £sd.

Go here for revamped website http://www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/

Barry M

You just got in there first, about the Denny Tank. :-)) O0 O0

Mark47

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »

The new site is on what was yorkhill quay and like all the regeneration work on the clyde
it is being designed "like water" or a flaming eyesore >:-o
here is the link http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/showProject.cfm?venueid=7&itemid=33
Barry M reply is what the rumours are saying but know one really knows and It would not surprise me if they got rid of the ships
the entire museum is being designed around the steam engines and 3 street scenes  {:-{
We know it would be impossible to put all the models on display BUT
they intend to increase the amount of exhibits from 1200 to 3000 but are rumoured to be reducing
the amount of model ships with more models going out to the resource centres

There is very little to see of the new museum and it wont be ready till 2011

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look into it. O0 O0 O0 O0

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »

Remember if you go to Irvine that it is only open April - October. Funds are not sufficient to enable it to open year-round. Of course if you are a volunteer, you will probably be able to get access at any time!  O0

Dumbarton and Braehead are open year-round.

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »

Forgot to say that membership of the Scottish Maritime Heritage Association  for £10/year (or £15/couple) gets you into any of the three museums as many times as you want for a year.

http://www.smha.org.uk/index.php?pr=Home_Page

Barry M
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.