Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: baitboat hull construction  (Read 8320 times)

partyhunta

baitboat hull construction
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »

Hi all, came across this forum while looking for information on covering the hull of my baitboat.I am more of a fisherman than a model boat enthusiast but if it means i can bag a few more fish and save a few quid, its gotta be worth a look.
 As you can see in the pic i have constructed a mdf and balsa frame work which i am three parts through covering with 0.8mm balsa sheets,cant cover it all just yet as im waiting for electrics. I intend to leave all the frame work in and was planning on covering it with some kind of glass fibre/resin?? This is where im not sure and was hoping someone here could help? Do i need to use heavy duty matting or can i use fibreglass tissue and build up the layers so it gives a better finish and less sanding is required? Also do i have to cover the whole boat in one session or can i do it in stages and lay fresh 'wet' tissuue on the already dry parts?? Any help much appreciated,thanks.

nhp651

Re: baitboat hull construction
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:31 pm »

tissue in a few layers would be fine, but don't forget, tissue and resin arn't really waterproof. it's the gell coat you put on as the outside layer that provides the waterproof coat. :-))

andyn

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:57:51 pm »

I covered my Hellcat in dope and tissue, under Glynn Guest's reccomendation, it's absolutely rock hard, and far easier than glassing, as you can see in my Crusader 3 build thread (Herehttp://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0)

You can see the Hellcat, with its dope and tissue (not glassfibre tissue, ordinary model aircraft covering tissue) Here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8783.0

Oh, and if you're using 0.8mm balsa, you may want to do two layers of it, because it's quite weak stuff, especially along the grain.

Hope this helps

Andy :-))

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »

Tissue and grp resin will be fine and it will be 100% waterproof build it up 2 layers at a time,leave to dry,quick rub down with 80grit and then recover with another 2 coats,Buy the proper grp tissue.Using the old fashioned tissue and dope WILL NOT  work in this instance due to the knocks and general wear and tear a bait boat will have.When you have given it 4 layer of tissue sand down initially with 80grit and then with 180 prime it then rub down again with 400 grit and paint it the colour of choice.Personally I would use Halfords acrylic or Even Plasticoat paint

Stav

partyhunta

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »

Thanks for the help guys, i think i get it now, am i right in thinking that if i was to use polyester resin it already contains some kind of waterproofing and so would not need to apply a gelcoat?Also the boat is to be powered by 2 jet drives,1 in the back of each float,will i need to use the steering nozzles on the drives or will the boat turn if the pumps are powered independantly?Many thanks.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:33:14 pm »

I've built a couple of bait boats, the last one being on a Viper Hull, you can run it on independant pumps & dont need rudders but going astern is tricky & they tend to eat the power. i went for twin 540motors run through 2 ESC's & a splitter, basically when you want to turn the power is taken off the relevant motor to the point where eventually one motor will run 100% opposite to the other & the boat will turn on itself - you also get reverse! Hope this helps.

partyhunta

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:50 pm »

You say a 'splitter' ,where does this connect? into the receiver then you plug the 2x esc's into it?I have some kind of mixing facility on the radio gear i have, could this possibly be of any use?I am using 2x500 size motors which apparantly only drain 1A of power,powered by  2x8.4v 3800mah stick packs,one for each esc,im guessing this should give me 25-35 minutes run time @3/4 throttle??

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »

What you need to do is to contact FLJ also known as Dave from Action Electronics and he will sell you what you need.Mixing on your transmitter is not really the way to go.

Stav

partyhunta

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »

Thank stavros for that info just checked out the website, been looking for such a circuit for a while,its just what im looking for,nice 1.As i have already got a 6 channel radio and 2 esc,s already,i plan to try one of those mixer/esc circuits in the next one i build,as a two channel radio is all thats required even to give independant usage of the bait hopper,many thanks once again.Can see me spending more time in the shed making boats than actually fishing   %%

Hagar

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:16 pm »

Watch out partyhunta, thats how I got started too.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:49:04 am »

Check out this thread - might be of use  http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=187888

I think the Splitter I used was a V Tail from Ripmax - contact Paul Cook at the Watton. Norfolk Branch.

It basically plugs into the Servo (Rudder Channel) & the 2 ESC from the motors go into that - Simple & cost effective - I think the unit is less than £20.

I'll take some photo's of my boat at the weekend & post them for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 21 queries.