Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Iconvenient Truth  (Read 1666 times)

Garabaldy

An Iconvenient Truth
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:22 am »

Did anyone watch this the other night?

I did.  He makes a cracking job of getting his point accross.  I really enjoyed the whole show.

What was everyone else's thoughts?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: An Iconvenient Truth
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:43 pm »

I agree Gary, it was a very convincing lecture with lots of facts and figures. I am still a slight skeptic on some of these matters but am slowly being won over. I think the most important thing to come out of it is the fact that global population has increased beyond that with which the climate can cope, given the power requirements and the means to deliver it. I guess if the devastation which may ensue causes the population to drop right off and maybe return humanity to the dark ages, then over time the ecology and climate may regulate back to something like it was before it was allegedy screwed up by mans impact.
Extremely interesting nonetheless and coupled with the elactric car programme the other night, it certainly makes you wonder if the voices for climate change are now given a stronger voice than the ruddy politicians who are continually lying to us in an effort to prop up economies.

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »

i only saw parts of the death of the electric but of what i did see was shocking.  Brand new cars being crushed....

Its obvious there are some very powerfull people doing all they can to ensure we carrie on burning fossil fuels for a long time to come.

Ive always thought (and hoped) in the near future the renewable energy market will explode.  I was shocked at how quickly the population has risen the past hundred years.  The show was a real eye opener for me i just hope it opend up alot of other peoples eyes.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:53:23 am »

I have not been able to see this yet, I live in China, but I do believe a good job was made.

tThe problem for many people with environmental issues is that most of us have an aversion to being told what to do by hippies (the main proponents of evnvironemntalism), but now the message is becomeing more mainstream it is more acceptable.

One fact I was made aware of by an economist was this,

"If 25% of the world' population (the richest most developed economies) were using 80% of the world's resources, what happens when another 25% (China) have developed economies and want (expect) to consume at the same rate?" {:-{

And India is also on the ascent. :((
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:44:52 am »

I actually saw this in the United States some time ago and it caused quite a stir then.  The trouble is nothing seems to have actually been done as a result of it and I really don't think it will until the effects are right in every ones face. 

We still live with a whole generation that believes it has a right to everything, whether they can actually afford it or not.  How do you go about persuading the young mums of today to give up thier massive 4x4 vehicles that they use to take little johnny 500 yards up the road to school?  How about them giving up some of thier kitchen appliances?, flying on continental holidays? supplying the kids with every electronic toy imaginable?

Until we develop a completely different mind set in our younger generation we are really going to struggle with heading in the right direction with this and no amount of legislation, mostly designed to promote political careers rather than the good of the planet, is going to have the desired effect.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.