Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are we in trouble  (Read 4738 times)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Why are we in trouble
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:22:52 pm »

why we are in DEEP trouble...

The population of this country is

approximately 60 million.

32 million are retired.

That leaves 28 million to do the work.

There are 17 million in school or at Universities.

Which leaves 11 million to do the work.

Of this there are 8 million employed by the UK government.

Leaving 3 million to do the work.

1.2 million are in the armed forces preoccupied with killing Osama Bin-Laden, and fighting in Afghanistan .

Which leaves 1.8 million to do the work.

Take from that total the 0.8 million people who work for Local County Councils. And that leaves 1 million to do the work.

At any given time there are 488,000 people in hospitals or claiming Invalidity Benefit.

Leaving 512,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 511,998 people in prisons.

That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me.

And there you are,

Sitting on your ass,

At your computer, reading jokes.

Is it any wonder that we are in such a mess and that I am stressed out through trying to cope on my own?
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Why are we in trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:40:35 pm »

Many a true word spoken in jest?? Now you know why we are in trouble and why the government keeps borrowing money!!

omra85

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:48:11 pm »

Sitting on your "xxx",

I blame the influx of Americanisms - over here we spell "xxx" as "xxxx"   O0

Danny   %%

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:25:00 am »

Sitting on your "xxx",

I thought "xxxx" was Australian...  {:-{

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:13:56 am »

I thought "xxxx" was Australian...  {:-{

It is, and it tastes all right, too. It was originally brewed in Queensland, and is called XXXX because Queenslanders couldn't spell BEER.  ;)

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:42 am »

CAN'T BE AMERICANISM......it's what my wife calls me when I sit on it, drinking a few castlemaine XXXX's and watching the pomms get stuffed at every sport they try.........
and she's true blue Lancastrian.lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »

Dear Nhp,

How many gold medals did Aust. win at the Olympics out of interest?! ok2

Regards, Bernard

omra85

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »

Bernard
I expect they will do very well in the NUDE Olympics (watch out in the Men's relay  :o ) -
http://www.stonedcrow.com/news_and_sport/wacky_sports.htm

I always thought that the beer "xxxx" started with a "P", whereas the thing you sit on "xxxx" starts with an "A" which is not the same as the American horse/donkey combination they all seem to own. Must make for interesting offices and homes ie "sitting on my "Axx" in front of the computer"  :o ;D ;D
Danny
 {-)

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:22 pm »

Danny, you will get into trooouuuble...! {-) {-) ok2

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »

haven't a clue polaris
i'm true blue brit through and thrugh,
was just gettiing the insults in before peter starts on me again. lol
mind you i've got shoulders as wide as my a*** {-) {-) {-) {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:47 pm »

was just getting the insults in before peter starts on me again

Who, me?????? :o I'm saying nothing  :-X  ;)

Peter.

TCC

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 02:14:56 am »

I was talking to an old guy the other day and he explained why they [Govt.] are allowing in foreign workers when we have plenty of unemployed here. It's simple, it's to keep wages down. As long as there are, I forget the term he used and the percentage, anyway, as long as there's too little work for the amount of workers, guys will chase work and 'take what they can get and be thankful for it'.

When the opposite happens and workers are scarce, workers become picky, opt for the better jobs with better money and conditions and ignore the low-paid jobs, etc.

By bringing in a lot of workers from abroad who'll work for less money than native workers in a supposedly boyant economy [workers are scarce scenario], they undercut the native guys and keep wages low.

I'm ashamed to say I hadn't thought it though til he explained it out. But he gave a phrase or term for this level of unemployment  in our economy.. a tipping point if you will... the point at which we become either 'picky' or 'thankful' and it's tied to the level of unemployment. So when our economy was doing well, they imported manpower to keep up the level of unemployment.

This is Govt. policy

Albion

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 12:20:15 pm »

I was talking to an old guy the other day and he explained why they [Govt.] are allowing in foreign workers when we have plenty of unemployed here. It's simple, it's to keep wages down.
Think that doesnt make sense, higher wages pushes more people into higher tax brackets and therefroe more revenue, so no sense in it.

Most countries want the highest wages as that leads to higher GDP

TCC

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:36:13 pm »

I was talking to an old guy the other day and he explained why they [Govt.] are allowing in foreign workers when we have plenty of unemployed here. It's simple, it's to keep wages down.
Think that doesnt make sense, higher wages pushes more people into higher tax brackets and therefroe more revenue, so no sense in it.

Most countries want the highest wages as that leads to higher GDP

No, it does make sense, you're thinking bout the wrong end of the labour pool. They weren't importing bankers, accountants or other higher tax bracket persons.

The basic principle is this: an emplyer advertisers a job at £5 an hour and if no-one here takes it, he'll then have to re-advertise it at a higher rate of £6 and so on until he either finds someone who'll work for that or he leaves the post un-filled. [by the way, it's usually the former as factories need people] So by briging in workers who'll work for the £5, no-one gets to see that £6 per hour job.

This is basic stuff.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:02 pm »

James Purnell’s new Bill, a  farrago of oppression and persecution of the chronically sick and disabled community was ushered through the Commons with minimum impediment. The newspapers make  mention of the bill at all - why is that, I wonder? Even the Daily Mail, which never passes up a chance to put the boot into the sick and disabled, is silent.

Purnell was heard to say that absolutely nobody should expect to get benefits while doing nothing for them. It is not money for nothing, it’s for being unable too ill to work - it’s for being in severe, intransigent pain!!

Unemployed people, it has been announced, should do a 9 to 5 day looking for work or undertake community service style duties such as digging gardens under moves to tackle joblessness, the author of a Government-commissioned report, Professor Paul Gregg said that virtually everyone on benefits - and that includes the chronically sick and disabled, on Incapacity Benefit, whom Gregg specifically targets -should be required to take steps towards finding a job and should face having their benefits stopped for up to four weeks if they repeatedly refuse to co-operate with attempts to find them work, it was suggested.

Unsurprisingly, Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell said he “strongly welcomed” the report, adding: “The direction of travel is the right way.,” and “The approach that virtually everyone should be doing something in return for benefits is the right one.”

They’ve also announced they’ll force lone parents on benefits back to work and they will roll out the polygraphing of benefits claiments. Note they didn’t polygraph the bankers about their fraudulent dealings before handing over billions of our cash to them and they don’t intend to polygraph people sending in their tax returns (much greater fiddle than benefit fraud).  {:-{
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 01:37:57 pm »

Seen this in the Telegraph.

An elderly couple who complained in a survey about mess left behind by travellers' groups have been told their comments will be ignored because they were deemed to be racist.
Mr & Mrs Brookhouse filled out a questionnaire created by the South East England Regional Assembly (Seera) on plans to create sites for Gipsy and traveller groups.
But the pensioners from Havant, Hampshire, were shocked when they received a letter from Catriona Riddell, Seera's director of planning, saying their views would be discounted because they were considered to be discriminatory.
Mr Brookhouse, 73, branded the move "political correctness gone mad" and has gained the support of local Conservative MP David Willetts.

The couple wrote in the questionnaire: "Reasonable charges must be made for use of sites so that local people know the travellers are contributing to the community finances. At present travellers give nothing to the community where they stay, indeed they create expense (rubbish clearance, etc, after they have departed)."

Mr Brookhouse said: "I think what we said was fact and I am very upset at the response from Seera which was totally unreasonable.
They asked us for our views, we have given them a view which I do not consider to be discriminatory but because they did not like it they have said we can have it back.
This country is supposed to be a democracy – we are all supposed to have a say in what happens.
To be told that they don't like what you're saying and therefore going to discount it is utterly ridiculous.
I'm a taxpayer in a town where the council has to spend literally thousands of pounds a year clearing up after travellers and we don't get anything back."

Mr Willetts said that he had taken up the issue with Seera.
He added: "This is political correctness gone mad.
It was a consultation on sites for travellers and the Brookhouses have drawn attention to widespread concern about the expense that's created by having to clear up their rubbish after they depart. This is basically a statement of fact.”

Moira Gibson, Seera's regional planning committee chairman, said: "Under the Race Relations Act it is against the law for local councils or the Assembly to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of their race, colour, or ethnic or national group.
"Romany Gipsies and Irish travellers are legally recognised ethnic groups.
As such we have had to discount and return any responses that we and independent legal advisers reasonably considered to be of a discriminatory nature.
A vast majority of the responses we received were not discriminatory and have been taken into account.”
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 06:54:42 pm »

One lives and learns. George, I never took you to be a "Telegraph" reader. Always had you down as a "Sun" man....or perhaps I'm confusing you with our Secretary...or Jake. But the point remains. Some people make money. Be it in the financial world, Industry or Retail etc. The money they and the companies they work for (or own) is now channelled into the pockets of those who do not (probably cannot) contribute any wealth making contribution to the country. The more people who depend upon the "state" for their liveliehood the more they they are going to vote for their "providers". The logical conclusion of this is that we will all work for the "state" and no-one will generate "wealth". Have we not heard of another "empire" that tried this approach? If this is the case then in the words of a well known undertaker..."We are doomed". But lets hope that "things" don't get that far. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

john strapp

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 09:29:52 am »

Mr Young

you could be back on your racist theme again, as this secretary being in the ethnic minority, does not read the SUN or the capitist TELEGRAPH.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 04:32:57 pm »

With reference to polygraphing, they should do this to the MP`s first.   Just imagine the results!   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 06:19:54 pm »

Gave up reading comics years ago!!  {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 06:21:03 pm »

Sitting on your "xxx",

Danny   %%
I seem to remember a beer sold in Liverpool as 4 "XXXX", or was that because I was seeing double at the time? BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 06:24:49 pm »

Mr Young

you could be back on your racist theme again, as this secretary being in the ethnic minority, does not read the SUN or the capitist TELEGRAPH.
Please. What is a "capitist"? Perhaps it's someone who wears a Dutch cap on sunday mornings? BY.

omra85

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:59 am »

Bryan
"Capitalism - survival of the fattest"

Danny
(well I'm in with a chance then ... )  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.