Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck Caulking  (Read 5316 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Deck Caulking
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:18 am »

In the past I have used the "insulating tape" method of simulating caulking on large-scale model decks. Having come across the "blackened PVA glue" method, I thought I might give it a try.

Before I do, I wonder if anyone on here has used it? If so, what did you colour the glue with? Did it work? Any problems or tips? Thanks in advance.

Rick

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deck Caulking
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:07:27 pm »

Hi Rick, I did a lot of research on this subject, as I wanted dark grey caulking I tried a number of methods, and found that on larger scale (1/12 for me) the black glue idea was a bit messy, and inconsistant. I ended up with grey card, cut into strips, then sanded down, and sealed. Photo not too good, but you get the idea, hope this helps

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:04:24 pm »

after trying many methods i only use "black " glue these days and although a little messy till you get the hang of it, it is the easiest method i've ever used.
you pays yer money and takes yer chance. :-))

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:47:57 pm »

Try putting "deck caulking" into the search box.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:00:50 am »

On my 1/15th I used darning wool.
After varnishing it is a bit hairy, but after sanding and re-coating it is fine.

Easy on straight planks. I would not like to try it on curved deck planking though.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:59 am »

Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

I didn't intend this to become a general discussion on caulking - we've had enough of them already - but was enquiring as to the practicality or otherwise of using coloured PVA glue to both fix and caulk the deck.

The model I am going to deck is a 1:48 HMVS Cerberus, main deck approximately 1500mm x 280mm. Using 180mm x 5mm planks, heaven knows how long it's going to take.

Rick

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:09:37 am »

In the past I have used the "insulating tape" method of simulating caulking on large-scale model decks. Having come across the "blackened PVA glue" method, I thought I might give it a try.

Before I do, I wonder if anyone on here has used it? If so, what did you colour the glue with? Did it work? Any problems or tips? Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick, Have a read through this thread:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6094.0

Of all the various caulking methods I tested I found this to be the easiest to deal with.  Everyone seems to have thier own preferred method though and I would strongly recommend that you do some samples to get a feel for what you find suits you best.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dms toucan

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:37 am »

Hi
I use cartridge paper, I glue the boards on edge to the paper, and when
dry run a knife down the side of the boards there for each board has a chalk line on the edge
you can buy cartridge paper in various thickness's
Martin 

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:39:10 pm »

Thanks BB, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Was there any wood staining effect? If so, did you have a special technique to combat it? The finished result certainly looks good.

The main reason for going away from my usual method of using tape for caulking is the need to accommodate a fair amount of complicated joggling at the bow and stern. I intend to make up a test section of deck before I set out on the task of fixing 400+ deck planks!

Rick

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »

I use a permanent black marker pen carefully run along the edge of each plank (from the underside to reduce risk of defacing the visible face of the plank/s).

For a fine 'caulk' line stain only one side of abutting planks, for a heavier line stain both abutting edges.

When staining plank ends and  joggling, first seal the exposed end-grain with a dab of sanding sealer to prevent the stain creeping along the length of the endgrain.

Marker pen produces a neat caulk line which is mess free, easy to sand  to achieve the desired finish and is impervious to varnish or other forms of sealer.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:23:36 am »

I use a permanent black marker pen carefully run along the edge of each plank (from the underside to reduce risk of defacing the visible face of the plank/s).

My preferred method too, Popeye.

Peter.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 02:34:22 am »

Thanks BB, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Was there any wood staining effect? If so, did you have a special technique to combat it? The finished result certainly looks good.

The main reason for going away from my usual method of using tape for caulking is the need to accommodate a fair amount of complicated joggling at the bow and stern. I intend to make up a test section of deck before I set out on the task of fixing 400+ deck planks!

Rick

My apologies Rick, I completely missed this question.

I did not experience any staining of the wood, which I believe to be as a result of the quite thick consistency of the caulk.  I'm sure if I tried to water it down I would be dealing with quite a different situation!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:26 am »

Hi Rick, I used this system for caulking the deck of my 1:24 Thames Barge, the only difference being I used Cascamite and Humbrol Black enamel as a mix. Consequently after 'squishing' against the adjacent plank and allowing to dry, I was left with quite a bit of sanding to get the excess removed. The results however looked very good, any minute black traces left in the grain just added to the working deck effect

Mike

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:49 am »

Thanks again for your useful advice, guys.

Rick

jviewing

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:20:08 pm »

Hi Rick, I use fine black thread laid along each plank run on larger scales 1/48 to 1/32. This proves to very effective as thread is available in a wide variety of thicknesses.

Best regards Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.