Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor question  (Read 2057 times)

huntsman 31

motor question
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:11:36 am »

Hi All, I need some info on my motor if possible, it's a Super Flying Model No.2027 it has 600 on it, presumably the size, and 8.4 - 9.6v high torque high performance. I bought it at the same time as the kit, 2002, and can't remember anything about it, I'm guessing it's brushed, can anyone confirm this please, also I'd like to know the current draw, I want use 6v Gel-cells is it OK for that ?, and what size ESC should I get, I'm favouring Viper. Thanks in advance.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: motor question
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

6 gel cells = 6X2 = 12 volts (plus a bit for luck as fully charged cells are a bit higher than nominal).  If the claimed max for the motor is 9.6 volts, then no, not without serious cooling.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

huntsman 31

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:39:08 pm »

Hmm, that made me look DickyD, apart from the colour that motor looks pretty much the same as mine, as for expensive tastes as far as I can remember it cost about a Fiver from Mantua Models in Windsor.

Malcolm, what I was proposing was 2 x 6 volt 5 ahr gelcells wired in parallel to keep it at 6 volts. Any thoughts on the ESC ?

Thanks to you both so far.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:22:05 am »

Its not a motor that I am familiar with, so the only suggestion I can make is to test with an ammeter while putting the motor under load at your chosen voltage.  Power output will be reduced, as voltage is now below the stated range for the motor.  Digital meters usually have a 10A scale that will range up to 19.99A, otherwise a visit to a car scrapyard for a car ammeter OR do test runs with steadily increasing fuses until they stop blowing.  Get an ESC that can handle that plus a bit for luck.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.