Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first time on the lake!  (Read 8035 times)

ixion

My first time on the lake!
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:53:39 pm »

After my impulse buy of a Thunder Tiger Lobmaster for £99.99 at my local model shop after going in for a tin of Humbrol paint for my model railway I am now hooked on boats.
After lots of helpful advice from people on this forum I have slowly started detailing the boat with a figure, lobster pots, rope etc. Tried it out on the lake today for the first time, great fun outdoors in the sunshine. Here are a few snaps.

Now I have the bug I have also bought a Tunder Tiger Majestic which I am in the process of detailing up, pictures soon.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: My first time on the lake!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:18 pm »

Another Skipper earns his stripes!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ixion

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 05:15:37 pm »

Cheers Martin.

A couple of pictures of my 'work in progress' trying to make the Majestic a bit more realistic, still lots to do and not had her maiden voyage yet!
Two weeks ago I had never owned or knew nothing about R/C boats!

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:14 pm »

Nice boats,like the added details  :-))
Mark

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 05:50:32 pm »

No he doesnt, he doesnt know his port from starboard according to the navigation lights >>:-(
..well can you land on this?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:13 pm »

No he doesnt, he doesnt know his port from starboard according to the navigation lights >>:-(

Unless I'm missing something they are OK (Red to Port) (Green to Starboard). Of course the boat is coming towards you so the lights appear reversed
Don't Assume Check

ixion

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »

Why whats wrong???

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:00:29 pm »

Nothing, think Arrows eyes are crossed - too much malt permaybe?  %%
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

ronkh

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:07:18 pm »

Why whats wrong???

Nothing wrong, port left - green starboard.

Very nice build.
Two weeks ? Brilliant effort. Look forward to your next one.

Ron.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:16:16 am »

Indeed, but on the blue boat the colours are right but it looks as though the lamps are at the fwd rather than aft ends of the lighting boards, and on the red one the reflectors are black.  Still they are his boats and they look very nice. Mind you, I'm about to build a swing rig for a spritsail barge, so what do I know?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:38:26 am »

In Lobmaster-3. jpg the lights do appear to be fitted at the for'd rather than aft ends of the light boxes which is incorrect. However, Majestic-2.jpg shows them set correctly in the light boxes which are painted black. Painting them black is correct for modern vessels.

Barry M

craftysod

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 06:09:25 pm »

Dont worry about the lights,someone will always find something wrong.
It is not a real boat,but a hobby.As long as you are pleased with the results enjoy.
My boats are nothing compared to the craftsmen/people on here,but i enjoy putting
them on the water,and when someone says "nice boat" makes you proud.
Even got my other half interested,wants her own boat,keep up the good work
Mark

Robert Davies

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 11:16:40 am »

Dyserth Road?  Holland Park?

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!  {-)

Where do you sail?

There's an open invitation to sail at Wrexham (Gresford Flash) every other Saturday afternoon and every Wednesday afternoon  O0

-Rob

ixion

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:20 pm »

Dyserth Road?  Holland Park?

Guilty as charged!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »

If I am reading the pics OK then he is quite correct. The sidelight screens were (Internationaly) changed from the traditional red and green to black in 1972. Boats (and ships) purporting to be before 1972 can show screens of red and green. After that they are black. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 10:55:33 pm »

the light screens on the lob master are on the correct sides, red to left green to right, BUT, the units are facing the wrong way.  if they were facing the right way, then your red and green would be wrong sided.  nothing too serious and can be easily sorted out with some paint

swap them over so they face the right way, then repaint accordingly.  screens to be black, then left light to be red, right light to be green.

the fact they are wrong is nothing that is your fault but the makers in china.  Bad ball thunder tiger
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

farrow

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:15 pm »

Nice detail, but there is one extra detail to make your models authentic fishing boats and that is the basket day signal should be wired up permentantly as virtually all fisherman do not what signal halliards are.

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07:27 am »

Hi.
We have about 9 of these models in our Club -  Manx Model Boat Club, they are being suitably modified to suit the individual owners, as can be appreciated on the Isle of Man fishing was a way of life so we have a good scope for rebuilding.
I take the point of the nav lights, the ones fitted to mine were wrong way round but can be easily modified, if you fancy fitting working lights modellingtimbers.com do a nice line in sub miniature bulbs(smaller than grain of rice but good and bright) in the colours needed these are 3 volt so one of the AA small battery carriers can be hidden within the model with very little extra weight, an added bonus they have nice long leads so they are easily handled.
On my model I am going to varnish the underneath of the deck, then run a thin layer of silicone around the hull inners, put some vaseline on the deck underside and fasten it down, by doing this I hope it will form a seal preventing water ingress once the silicone has set the deck should be neater fit, all in all they are excellent value for money.
Howard Q

ixion

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:34 am »

Navigation lights now sorted!

MCR

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:35 am »

A new member brought his Majestic down to Saltwell model boat club.
He was over the moon a great introduction to the hobbie and a great member to the club.

Robert Davies

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »

Looks suitably cluttered!

Makes a change from another 66 I s'pose...  ;)

Bit clean if y'ask me tho'

O0

-Rob

taffpat

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »

Hi, New to this modelling thing, but have quite a bit of experience in offshore(and dinghy ) sailing.  Regarding lighting boards, I was always told that should your lens have a crack, if you lighting boards (IE. that part with the lamp) were painted black, then any light would be lost in the black, therefore the the boards with the lamp should be the same colour as the designated lamp.
  Apart from that, I have never seen the inboard sides painted anything other than black.
     Happy sailing. OK2

nhp651

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »

taffpat...the rules on backboards for p and s navigation lights changed in [ i think] the early 1980's from coloured to black backgrounds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.