Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest verion of Internet Explorer: IE8  (Read 4962 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Latest verion of Internet Explorer: IE8
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »

Has anybody downloaded this yet?

And no! I don't want to rehash all the old arguments about Firefox/Safari/Chrome etc. being zillions of times better. Just interested in IE8 at the moment.

Colin

Malcolm Reade

Re: Latest verion of Internet Explorer: IE8
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:18:13 pm »

Hi Colin

I've been using IE8 for a long time now - both the Beta pre-release version and then I upgraded to the first official release a few weeks ago (maybe longer?  Tempus Fugit)  I have no issues with it.

I do use Chrome more though....

Malc

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »

I've used it for a few months, too big, too cumbersome, too slow but has a few useful right-click menu features though.

I mainly use Firefox and resort to IE7/8 when something doesn't work.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:30:50 pm »

Been on IE8 for what seems an age and NO problems to remember  :-))

Have not gone to the others since I got the new laptop and started to learn Vista   Ok so its still windows but it is different  >>:-(

IE8 gets a big thumbs up from me.

R

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »

I still much prefer Chrome, much faster.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Hagar

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03:08 pm »

I've tried to down load IE8 a few times and failed each time! I have A Danish windows XP and downloaded the Danish IE8 to be informed that the language I have choosen is incompatible with my OS. So I tried to down load the English Version. Got told the same thing!

Gave up.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:49:36 am »

As a web developer it flippin' doesn't handle some mark-ups in the same way that FF and Safari do. Sites designed to look glam and gorgeous in FF often need tweaking to work well in IE, increasing my development time when I could be doing something more constructive.

Such as bilge keeling the Dreadnought. :-(

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:36:37 am »

I suppose that this is much like any other item,
Take cars I am Honda orientated, while others will say Ford, then others Merc etc

As for it does this then don't do that! that is the same all over for whatever you look at. (my car will lock and shut sunroof, windows automatically) yet another that has tracking head lamps doesn't.

We all have our own preferences which make for a more varied way of life, little boxes all the same would be SO dull.

My home PC has just died so I need to replace it and when I do I will stay with IE as My novice wife can get mixed up so via the phone call I can talk her through moves and following them on my laptop and being able to see what SHE should at each screen, then instructions to rectify where required.
Just my outlook on it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:06:34 am »

I downloaded IE8 yesterday. No noticeable problems so far except that the Model Boats website needs viewing in compatibility mode.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:12:42 am »

I've downloaded it. Again, no noticeable problems, but again, no noticeable difference either, apart from being told at great length how wonderful it was, and all the wonderful new facilities that I failed to understand, probably dont need, and therefore almost certainly wont be using.
It will be liked by those who like such things.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 11:14:20 am »

When you say that it needs to be viewed in compatibility mode? what do you mean.
I run Vista and IE8 but have never changed any settings etc.

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:01:12 pm »

Compatibility mode means that IE8 will display the selected site as if it was IE7. You can turn it on from the Tools menu and it will remember the sites you have selected. People who design websites have the problem of making them display the same way in several different browsers and sometimes this can cause problems. There were differences between IE6 and IE7 too as well as differences between IE, Firefox etc.

As Malcolm says, you may not notice much difference between IE7 and IE8 unless you are an intensive surfer. I'm not into comparing all the different browsers, life's too short. As long as it does the job adequately I'm not much concerned about it being a few fractions of a second slower to load pages etc. The speed of your internet connection is likely to have a much greater effect on your perception of how quick your PC is.

However, Microsoft do claim that IE8 is more secure and will warn you if you are attempting to visit a dodgy website - which I suppose might put some people off downlading it.  :o :o

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 05:42:07 pm »

What on earth is all that gobblygook about? You are all starting to sound like the authors of some badly translated Oriental instruction manual. Please speaka-da- Inglis.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 06:24:34 pm »

Right Bryan. Browser definition: Has 4 legs, a coat of wool; and goes Baaaaa!

catengineman

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 06:35:28 pm »

He He after your post Mr Bishop I thought I would have a gander about and so turned on the "menu" bar and then looked around  :-))

So much to play with I had no idea  {-)

As I said I have had IE 8 for a while and as it works for me I just dont fix it or twiddle tweak or even think of going to FF or the other browsers.

I had a laptop running XP sp3 and that I loaded FF onto to assist my daughter who used that browser, but I had crash after crash! I got her to go onto IE 6 and she now uses that, we just had a lot of problems with FF it put me right off it, tried chrome = OK but when I got the new laptop it has IE as part of the package so I have settled down with it.

Here is one thing though I got silver light (I think) as an add on but what does that do ?

R

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 07:58:39 pm »

Right Bryan. Browser definition: Has 4 legs, a coat of wool; and goes Baaaaa!
?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 08:39:15 pm »

Ruminate Bryan, ruminate....

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 08:43:36 pm »

You may have lost him on that one :((

R,

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:47:57 am »

>>:-(All Greek to me. Didn't know there were other types of windows, never mind what they do... why dosn't somebody come up with a simple to use program that people with old slugish brains like mine can use. all these different programs just hake my head spin
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

catengineman

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:40 pm »

I started out using AMIGA systems (yes that long ago) it didn't have "windows" just a very fast and friendly operating system IMHO
then windows appeared and started to be the norm as more and more office's used that system then Mr Gates has altered changed swapped and whatever to this present day.
Mac has a great system but getting software is harder.
I still have my old Amiga 3000 and it will still boot up and run.

I find computers much like transport in that would you still be happy to drive around in that 1960 Morris at a neck breaking 47 Mph with the wind coming up through the holes in the floor where the clutch and brake pedals come through, and have brakes that need Herculie's to push on to stop the 3/4 tonne steel block? or do you like the sleek smoother comfort of the 2009 Ncap rated unit you now own?
Progress is great isn't it?

TCC

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:27 pm »

Ruminate Bryan, ruminate....

Looks like you've [or should that be ewe've?] pulled the wool over his eyes.  :D

catengineman

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36:18 pm »

He said that as he sheepishly walked away

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »

But to get the best performance you need a lot of RAM....

Sorry Bryan, we're a stupid lot.

catengineman

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:38 pm »

Mind you dont get fleeced when you try it

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 06:08:51 pm »

I started out using AMIGA systems (yes that long ago) it didn't have "windows" just a very fast and friendly operating system IMHO
then windows appeared and started to be the norm as more and more office's used that system then Mr Gates has altered changed swapped and whatever to this present day.
Mac has a great system but getting software is harder.
I still have my old Amiga 3000 and it will still boot up and run.

I find computers much like transport in that would you still be happy to drive around in that 1960 Morris at a neck breaking 47 Mph with the wind coming up through the holes in the floor where the clutch and brake pedals come through, and have brakes that need Herculie's to push on to stop the 3/4 tonne steel block? or do you like the sleek smoother comfort of the 2009 Ncap rated unit you now own?
Progress is great isn't it?
I have been looking for a reasonably priced Amiga 3000 (off and on) for awhile now. I have loads of Amiga software (not the "games" stuff), things like "Real 3D" and "Disney Animation" etc. I loved the old Amiga. The programming was so tight and so easy to use. Question; would my Amiga "stuff" originally used on an enhanced 500 work on a 3000?. The SWMBO keeps on at me to take it all to "the dump"...but I've held off so far!. Cheers. BY.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.