Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High gloss finish required  (Read 3162 times)

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
High gloss finish required
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:57 pm »

I am building a Dumas Chris Craft Runabout.

I am at the point where I have covered the hull with fibreglass with several coats of resin. I have rubbed it down to a smoooooooooth and level surface. I now need to get a high gloss top coat. I am looking for a 'wow' effect. Any suggestions as to the best way to get such a finish?

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Stavros

Re: High gloss finish required
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:31:50 pm »

Go through the painting threads I have posted many times on how to get that superb finish or alternativly contact Stav's hull painting service for the ultimate in finishes :-))

Stav

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »

Stavros,

Thanks for your response.

I have trawled most of the painting threads and have found many hints and tips to get a good finish. I am however looking for suggestions as to the actual varnish/lacquer/etc. to use to achieve the high gloss finish required. I have no experience to fall back on in this area. Up to now I have always required a satin finish for which I have used several different products quite successfully.

A non yellowing finish is desirable due to the white caulking used so outdoor varnishes are probably out. There are epoxy finishes such as Klass Kote which might be suitable but are expensive to try on spec. I have tried 'Ronseal Ultra Tough Hardglaze' but have not had much success and ended up sanding it down after each thin coat. I just could not get the high gloss I am looking for. I just have no idea which is the most suitable product to use. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Bob. 
Bob Vaughan

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:04:32 pm »

I allways use Halfords Acrylic paints as they give an excellent finish.If you have allready painted your boat with satin or Matt well  how about using the halfords clear lacquer build it up in batches of 2 layers at a time rubbing down after 48 hrs with 2000 grit wet dry with plenty of soap do this 4 times finally rubbing down with 2000 grit and then hand polishing up with t cut or a professional cutting compound and then polishing

Stav

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

Stavros,

Your a STAR!!! Just the sort of response I was looking for. I will give this a try and let you know the result.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Anchorboy46

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:03 am »

I would go with a polyureathane such as Valspar. Either spray it on or brush it on and sand with 2000 grit in between coats. After last coat,(wait about 5 days) I would rub it out with polishing compound, Johnsons and Johnsons rubbing compound. That baby will shine forever. You could use some pledge furniture polish to dust it with... Anchorboy

Chuffy

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:19 am »

Bob

If you want to be really sad, like me, get a bar of Maguiar's Polyclay form Halfords.

It's not the stuff you dig up in the garden but a bar of white malleable 'stuff' for want of a better word. It feels ultra smooth to the touch and can be shaped to any profile. You just wet the finish with water and washing up liquid and polish away keeping it wet at all times. The finish in my 1/12 Severn was pretty good after spraying, I followed all the instructions from stavros to achieve that, but after about half an hour with the poly clay and the finish was like Oxford blue chrome, just right for a new ex-works lifeboat. Not everyone's choice but there you go.

Paul.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:37 pm »

Hi,

I swear by Chestnut Products- High Gloss Lacquer- comes as a spray and is lovely to use- easy predictable spray pattern, it stores well and really brings the grain out, it's waterproof, scratch resistant and never yellows, Chestnut also make a burnishing cream that, once the lacquer has dried, can be applied by a cloth and rubbed in then buffed up with an extra soft buffing attachment, or good old elbow grease.

You pays your money you makes your choice, however they also contain no CFC's or harmful products and is the only spray I know that doesn't have a big 'X' on the back for 'Harmful', in my eyes the best product on the market for all round "ticking the boxes".

Just my opinion and the usual disclaimers- hope i'm of some help.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.