Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many hobbies, not enough time  (Read 4696 times)

Lynn

• Shipmate
Too many hobbies, not enough time
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:39 pm »

Besides working on my scale model U.S.C.G. scale lifeboat, with new scale features that weren't in the kit, I've been scratch building a lighthouse and diorama to the same scale as the lifeboat.  Just like the lifeboat, the lighthouse has all the bells and whistles (working features).  I also like restoring antiques that we've bought for our home, doing artwork for us, home remodeling, camping in our traveler, collecting miniature kerosene lamps (81, so far),  and I also run a dog boarding business in our home for extra money for the hobbies.  I also like to go fishing, when time and weather permit.  I spent most of my working life as an engineer, so designing most anything is a snap, and if it's miniature, it's better yet.

Crazy Yank

SlimRick

Re: Too many hobbies, not enough time
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »

Can't believe no-one's asked for pics yet!!!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50:48 pm »

OK I'll ask, where are the photos then ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »

There are some photos that our fearless leader, Martin, put in on this site.  Most of them are in the "Your Models" area, under Lynn.  There's the U.S.C.G. lifeboat I have been revamping every time I see something that lends itself to miniaturizing and of course there is the lighthouse build.  Much has been done since the current pictures were posted.  I sent a bunch, but as yet, they've not been put in.  Winter is approaching and providing I win an auction on Ebay, I'll have a project to work on and send pics when I get into the new "rebuild".

Crazy Yank

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 05:35:46 pm »

OK I'll ask, where are the photos then ?  {:-{

I think it might be time for me to catch up on some of my latest ventures.  Back in February of this year, I sent off for a fiber glass hull for my new build.  The hull was almost what I wanted, but not quite, but would, with alterations, suffice.  The hull was a Cape Island lobster boat hull, but with a raised freeboard would have the beginnings of a bridge deck cabin cruiser (circa 1920-1930). after two weeks, I got it and began the build of the "Lady Alice", which took only two months and a few days to complete, being as I'm retired and had a plan in mind. She is complete with a crew of three, transmitter activated running lights, cabin lights, horn, and home built speed control.  She operates on four channels. All amenities are scratch built, since there are no hobby stores in my area for model boats.  Any drive train components have been purchased from Ebay, when possible.

Crazy Yank

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:58:23 pm »

Excellent job, what a great boat, one to be proud of.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »

Thanks, DickyD,

Am attaching a couple of pics of my finished lighthouse build, in 1/16 scale, as are the Lady Alice and my USCG powered lifeboat.  Haven't started the diorama part of that build, since I haven't come across a display case large enough and cheap enough to put it into. The lighthouse is fully lighted, interior, beacon, and provisions for yard lights.  Beacon rotates and building doors operable. Workshop also lighted. My lighthouse keeper has a full supplement of tools for his maintenance jobs at the site as well as living accomodations inside the house including an attached restroom. There is also an attached generator station, in case of power outages.  All are part of my obsession for realism.

Crazy Yank

Mi Amigo

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:29:07 pm »

Hi
 Thanks for the pictures, very nice.

I am interested to know more about the home brew ESC.

I did build a simple forward only esc from eric behr's website about 7 years ago, it was a bit unpredictable though.

I do have a pic programer now, I'm not really doing much more than lighting LED's with it at the moment though, I'd like to build another ESC, Maybe a H bridge.

Please tell me more about yours.

Neil

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:49:08 pm »

Hi Mi Amigo,

My ESC build came about due to a friend, Bill Zumwalt.  He has one made up of one or more power transistors, a 10K potentiometer and a reversing switch.  I modified the circuit by putting in a DPDT relay to do the reversing and the switch just powers up or powers down the relay.  The relay is only online when in reverse to save batteries, since more of the runtime is in forward.  The more power transistors in parallel, the higher the amperage load you have for a high performance motor. I haven't gotten around to changing the schematic to show the change, but the relay replaces the DPDT switch shown on the schematic and a single SPDT switch activates the relay.  The SPDT switch position is controlled by a servo.  The best thing about this method is you can go from full forward to full reverse without ramping it down. You can stop your boat almost instantly, this way, without blowing the ESC. I also made up a separate circuit (same schematic) to control the rpm's of my lighthouse beacon and the radar antenna on my USCG powered lifeboat.  I adjust the speed once on the potentiometer and leave it for this type of application, using a switch off the main power supply.  Depending on how many channels you have, it could be run off the transmitter, instead of at the beginning of a run, when you switch on the boat.

Find attached a schematic of the circuit, less the revisions mentioned.

Crazy Yank

Mi Amigo

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:10:48 am »

It's a basic circuit but if it does the job then all the better.

Me and my young lad, (he's 9 yrs old), have started to have electronic experiment sessions, so far we have been making up lots of LED circuits, he already understands about resistance, this speed controller is an excellent way of demonstrating how a transistor works.

I have just ordered a couple of 3055's from ebay, we are going to have a good play around with this circuit.

Excellent stuff, thank you

All the best Crazy Yank
 Neil

Lynn

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:19:39 am »

Hi Neil,

Glad to be of help for a young one.  Getting them into this type of father/son stuff beats some of the alternatives later on down the road.  I always had a thing for what made things work.  I was a mechanical engineer for over thirty years and was always fascinated with electronics, thus some of my tinkering with circuitry. I've always made models of one kind or another and had best luck with my own designs, since about age ten.  Am now 68.

Keep up the tradition, helping kids learn.

Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.