Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calf Muscle  (Read 2812 times)

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
Calf Muscle
« on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:02 am »

About 10 days ago I tore/pulled my right calf muscle.  I was doing nothing out of the ordinary,  just walking to the local shops.  It really hurt.  The calf , ankle and foot all swelled up.  I went to the Doctor,  who refered me to the physio.  Both said it will take two weeks for the swelling to go down and at least two months to heal.  Bang goes my golf for the next few months.  My boat buiding has also suffered as I  am on crutches and can't carry boats around, I work on the dining table and need to carry the boats to it. Not a job I trust to the wife!!!! so don't expect updates to my Victory build for a little while.  I was also starting on a Speedline 1:16 Severn Class, Lifeboat so that has halted as well, at least it will give me a chance to work out how the trim tabs are connected up.  Hope I get a modicum of sympathy from you lot,  don't expect any from Bob of course!!!!!!

At least one benifit - No gardening.

I think my wife feels I've done it deliberately to get out of caravanning!!  I do miss the challange of seeing how big a queue of cars I can get behind me

Cheers for now

Ken

bigH

Re: Calf Muscle
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »

Her's your chance Ken to be a real sailor, carve yourself a wooden leg, strap your bad one up behind you, buy a parrot and teach it to say "*+"%^" and bingo!   There you are all fixed for a job in panto..... Always a silver lining Ken.   bigH

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »

This is when small plastic really comes into its own.
Get well soon.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:53:05 pm »

So Ken,.....You are the one who holds everyone up on the country roads, whilst towing that caravan!!!!!!!!! :police: :police: :police: :police:and you expect sympathy........I think not...................................well okay then just a little :-)) :-)) :-))

das boot

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »

A man after my own heart Ken...I love looking in the rear view camera and seeing how many people I'm holding up as I suck my way along the roads at 4mph.

Got to be done...go to it Ken, and get well soon!

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:32:08 pm »

The law should be changed to make you Caravaning lot go "ROUND" roundabouts three times to let the cars pass you!! :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »

I hear rubbing alcohol is good for muscle healing... the Scottish type applied internaly with ice.

Does the lady of the house have a nurses outfit for when she's rubbing the ointment in?
All the best to you Ken. 

Martin    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:39 pm »

There you are Ken - poetic justice!
"I was just walking to the shops ..." - how many times must you be told - shopping is for girlies (unless it's a model or tool shop)
Anyway, we'll wish you well with a rousing chorus of "I'm Jake the Peg..."

Danny

amdaylight

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:25:04 pm »

The law should be changed to make you Caravaning lot go "ROUND" roundabouts three times to let the cars pass you!! :-))

{-) {-) {-) {-) Where is Ian  {-) {-) {-) {-)

Andre
laughing over yonder in Portland Oregon

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:34:10 am »

Hi Ken

All joking aside, the calf is a very unusual muscle. It has twice the muscle density of other muscles in the body. It is very strong.

The problem with most muscles it that if we don't use the full range of moverment, the tendons at the ends of the muscle get shorter.
So a normal life of walking, sitting in the chair and driving will lead to shortening of the tendons.
So if you do over stretch, the muscles will tear.

Your calves will probably hurt for longer than two weeks, but you can still exercise them.

Once mended, you need to get into the habit of stretching your calf muscles. A little at first then gradually more.
This only takes two minutes tops, and it will help prevent further injury.

If you don't know how to stretch then go down your local sports/lesiure centre and go to the gym/wieghts room. You only need to go once.
Tell the instructor what yur problems and ask then for advice on what you can do at home. Much cheaper than a physio, which you don't really need.

So hop down the gym when you feel better  {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »

Thanks for the advice, Tigertiger.   I mean to get hold of the right exercises to restrengthen the calf muscles, also to do some warmup exercices before beginning a round of golf. The swelling has gone down, but my toes are sore and tender.

Can't manage to clean the roof of the caravan.. Any volunteers!!!!!  I'll even provide a mug of coffee!!!

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »

Thanks for the advice, Tigertiger.   I mean to get hold of the right exercises to restrengthen the calf muscles, also to do some warmup exercices before beginning a round of golf. The swelling has gone down, but my toes are sore and tender.

Can't manage to clean the roof of the caravan.. Any volunteers!!!!!  I'll even provide a mug of coffee!!!

Ken

Ken.....Ken.......I'll clean it with a bucket of petrol, just before I start smoking again!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( %% %% %% %% %%

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:53 pm »

Hey hey hey
Let the Doctor said, Tiger, tiger is rigth, but, I must said, use the this time wisdom, put some nice music, ask your Wife to help You to stand up and  dancing, dancing in the old fashion way with Her hand in yours, dancing very near of Her :embarrassed:
That's is a sure way to healing
Best wishes
ad. after one week of very romantic dancing therapy, ask to your Wife anything about hobbyshops and She will said yes to anything, I know, it is work :-))

OMK

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »

Can't manage to clean the roof of the caravan.. Any volunteers!!!!!

Not quite the same ailment as yours, but if a torn shoulder muscle is anything like a ripped calf muscle, then you've got my sympathies. The quack got it wrong: said it would mend itself in a couple weeks, but two months down the road and it's still causing grief. I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but you could be away from the golf course longer than you'd hoped.

I'll tell you what, though....... Since Dorset is one of my favouritest counties in the whole of England, I'll volunteer for the caravan cleaning job as long as you swap the coffee for a pint of apple juice.

Good luck with the ailment. And, as Omra85 says, unless it's a model or tool emporium, stay away from girly shopping stuff.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:24 pm »

And a wee stretch after helps a lot.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.