Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1959 aero-naut 'Forelle' (Trout)  (Read 4965 times)

BroomBroom

1959 aero-naut 'Forelle' (Trout)
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:17:40 pm »

Greetings all - seems to be the form around here that I am obliged to share my modest efforts with you all - so here goes...

I'm actually an enthusiast of classic old speedboats and most of my free time is spent restoring and tinkering with my 70's Broom Saturn.
That said, as an old aeromodeller I thought it would be fun to turn my hand to a boat. I fancied a Riva/ChrisCraft type wooden runabout but the kits seemed to be way above my budget. Trawling around the bay, I found an old aero-naut Forelle kit in Germany and won it for not many euros.

I have no idea how old the kit is - the only date I can confirm is from the plans, which were drawn up in 1959.
Duly the box arrived and the modest contents consisted of a few sheets of pre-scored ply for the hull and deck, some pre-printed 2mm and 3mm ply, a small 'goodie bag' with steering wheel, bollards etc. and other assorted bits and pieces of timber needed to complete the model. There were no pre-cut pieces - it all had to be done the hard way...

I don't have any pictures of the first stages of the build - I wasn't planning on keeping a record - will try and do better in the future!
Anyway, I soon had the fretsaw out and it was not long before I had completed the basic hull.

This model was originally designed to be powered by a small electric outboard, but something looked wrong... if it was an outboard, why did it have a huge engine cover? So I decided to tweak the original design slightly and make it as an inboard for electric RC.
In comparison to many of the (quite incredible) models featured on this forum, this is very small - about 14" overall (I think that's around 340mm). Knowing nothing at all about model boating and even less about electrics I got some good advice from FLJ, so this will be powered by a Speed 280 and use an Action P78 Condor 2A Speed Controller.

That'll do for a start - next instalment follows shortly...

Cheers,

Robin

BroomBroom

Re: 1959 aero-naut 'Forelle' (Trout)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »

With the hull built, I gave it a coat of West Systems Epoxy (aahh the benefits of having left-overs in the boatshed), followed by a layer of glass tissue and then a further layer of epoxy. This was set aside until it had all thoroughly dried and then sanded to produce a reasonably fair finish. Obvious blemishes were then filled with marine filler and further sanding undertaken. This was then blown over with a primer.

The postman kindly delivered an M2 stainless prop shaft and tube, a 3-bladed 20mm prop and a rudder, so I immediately started ripping holes in the bottom of my hull and soon all these bits were installed. I also scraped back my primer and epoxied the keel in place, cutting it around the prop tube. I placed the rudder as far back as possible - and have to admit that the positioning of everything was undertaken on the 'well it looks about right' principle.

OK, you can help me out here! - Is 20mm about right for the prop? or should I have gone for 25mm? It looks about right scale wise - easy enough to fix. Also, I have no idea whether the rudder is about the right size - seems a bit large scale-wise, but easy to cut down and as this is such a flat bottomed beasty I reckoned it might help with straight line stability - interested to hear your thoughts.

The original instructions (loosely translated from German) suggested the deck be painted in wood-coloured brown paint but when I was in my local model shop I found some thin mahogany and lime strips. Armed with a bundle of these I attempted to recreate the classic 'teak and holly' stripes. I found this surprisingly easy and when varnished I reckon they will look just the job.

Don't know when the next update will be as I'm off to play with the full size jobbies for a bit...

Cheers,

Robin

BroomBroom

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:35:58 am »

Quite a bit more done on 'Forelle'.
I carved the seat from a couple of blocks of balsa, which was then covered with vinyl offcuts left over from my 'full size' restoration. (I've still got quite a few bits of this in Turquoise/White - if anybody wants some just send me a PM).

I then tidied up and painted the inside and started to lay out the motor and electronics. It was about this time I realised there isn't much room in there! I'm using an Acoms 40MHz system, cheap - but apparently adequate for what it has to do. Even with the servo mounted sideways it only just clears the deck. The seat back had to hacked out to accommodate the motor, but everything fits - just... bearing in mind that when the deck is on there will be a lot less access. Still got the ESC and batteries to go, but I'm sure we'll make it.

I used a flexible motor coupling and positioned the motor by hooking it up to a battery and tweaking the position until the engine note sounded sweetest. Apart from the servo, the other radio bits are/will be fixed with Velcro. Linked up the rudder with the inner from a 'Gold-n-Rod' control cable left over from my aeromodelling days, which seems to work fine.

Finally, I scratch built a hatch, which will also get the turquoise and white treatment - but I'm still working out how to make the whole inside compartment watertight... hmmm.

Now I have to save up my pennies and get the ESC and maybe rechargeable battery pack and then it'll be into the bath to check and adjust the weight distribution/waterline (not that I've got a lot of leeway here - fingers crossed).

I see a few people have had a look at this thread - so I'll keep it going - please feel free to chip in with any advice/encouragement!

Cheers,

Robin

andyn

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »

Looks very good, and the Broom looks excellent can I have a go? :-))

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:42:51 pm »

Looking good,firstly the rudder is a little on the long size,they are very effective.(we the better half and myself),use the big version on our springer tugs,and they turn on their own lenght.
At 14" long would wait untill you go to pond for trials and see if it needs trimming down,prop size seems good,it depends on overall weight of boat and if you want it to plane on water,and what batts you are using.
For sealing the hatch,if the wood is a tight fit,i use petroleum jelly(vaseline),between them,no water in hers yet
Hope this helps
Mark

BroomBroom

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:34:59 pm »

Thanks Guys,

Good to know I'm heading in the right direction!
I've chopped the rudder a bit - looked far too meaty (I'm working on the 'if it looks right it probably is right' principle).

...and thanks for the heads-up on the vaseline trick, sounds like a plan :-)).

Glad you like the Broom andyn, yup, you can have a go - but you'll need to bring oars as I'm saving the pennies for an outboard at the moment. Check out the CMBA - bunch of old speedboat lunatics enthusiasts  - always a good chance of hitching a free ride. Interestingly, it seems to me it's easy to spend as much money on model boats as you can on the full size things - this was supposed to be a cheap pastime and I'm already eyeing up the new Dumas Chris-Craft Continental... hey ho %)

Cheers,

Robin

BroomBroom

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »

I know it's been a while but here I am again and pleased to report things have progressed well...

It took a while to get the 'electrics' sorted but now everything is working perfectly - thanks FLJ!
I gave the deck copious coats of varnish and plenty of sanding and buffing produced an acceptably good finish. Now it was time to simply plonk the deck on the hull - well, not that simple as it turned out. I knew from the dry-run that there were a few areas that would need a bit of a tweak, but with rapidly drying glue, clamps, pegs and general sticky madness it was a fraught five minutes or so. When everything had set off, there were a few gaps at the bow, but overall I was pleased enough. A little judicious use of some filler and a light sanding and the hull was ready for final paint. I did this in Ford Ivory white - a little less stark than a pure white and seemed to suit the period feel of the model.

The rubbing strake was then applied along with the addition of the various bits of deck candy and the helm.

I also fashioned some exhaust pipes from bits of scrap tubing and a couple of stainless washers. Finally, I carved some balsa 'cushions' for the hatch and covered them with vinyl - Riva style.

I've yet to add the screen and a few more decorative items/detailing touches and after clear lacquering the hull she'll be good to go.

It sits surprisingly well in the water, given that it is quite a lot heavier than originally designed and while I don't expect sparkling performance, I'm pleased that it's an attractive display model that is also useable.

Cheers,

Robin

73miss

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:21:51 pm »

Nice pics - I assume the seats are offcuts from Gina???
I will be at Stewartby in October with my Delta and (hopefully) a fast electric hydro. If you are up there I may see you and we can chase the big boats around with the smaller ones.

Dreadstar

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:22 pm »

That's a wonderful finish that you given her Boomboom,she really looks the part. :-))

BroomBroom

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »

Cheers chaps!

Hey 73miss - how on earth did you find me over here?! Won't be at Stewartby this year but hope you have a blast :-))
I assume the seats are offcuts from Gina???
...right again! Still got plenty left as well (due to my imperial/metric conversion being a bit rubbish..).

That's a wonderful finish
Thanks! Lots of varnish, plenty of drying time and then flatted down to an even matt finish with wet or dry and then polished up with my magic potion - Novus no.3. Originally purchased as it's great for getting rid of scratches and swirls on Rickenbacker guitars! - also find it fantastic to cut back gently.

Robin

BroomBroom

Re: 1959 aero-naut 'Forelle' (Trout) - Maiden Voyage
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:22 am »

Good progress, helped by some good painting/spraying weather around here for a change...

Certain members on this excellent forum will be delighted to note that I have now, finally, ditched the dry cells! The pic shows the final layout and installation of the electrics. The whole of this compartment was then sealed from the open cockpit by judicious use of silicone sealant. The cover for this lot is a good 'interference' fit and with a wipe of vaseline around the edges I'm sure (hope) everything will stay dry in there.

I finished the hull with a further 3/4 coats of clear acrylic and buffed and polished to a good 'scale' finish. For whatever reason, really high gloss mirror finishes on the hulls of this type of period runabout never seem to look quite right to me - I dunno, just a personal thing.
I did have one minor disaster though - I did the deck with polyurethane and the hull with acrylic - you can guess what's coming here can't you... When it comes to different paint types reacting I've been there, got the shirt and learnt my lesson.
I carefully masked off everything so the two different finishes would never meet - well everything except that I forgot the rubbing strake :embarrassed:. I'd done this by using a permanent black marker and gave it a semi matt polyurethane finish to represent rubber. Worked like a charm until I shot the acrylic all over it - best paint stripper I'd ever seen. I just let it dry off and a after a bit of refinishing it was job done.

Next up was the screen and the frame, which was just made from bits from the scrap box - the surround being a thin piece of plastic 'angle'. It looks a bit on the chunky side - and the lack of any suitable brass paint led me to finish it in the hull colour which kinda accentuates the rather substantial look - but I'm pleased enough with it.

So there we are - apart from lots of little scale details, she was ready to go. I'm lucky enough to have friends with a large, covered swimming pool - Oh lucky man! - even better, they're neighbours, so a quick hike up the track (it's rural around here) and before long she was gently plopped into the Mediterranean blue water.
Quick system check and off she went. Didn't need to trim anything at all, it just ran perfectly from the off. Very relaxing and responsive - she can practically turn in her own length and overall I'm very pleased.
It's no speed demon and even at WOT won't get up on the plane (no doubt due to the relatively high payload for the size of the model), but the scale speed looks authentic and the ride is nice and dry.
Sorry - haven't worked out how to control the model and shoot a video at the same time - when I do I'll post a link.

So there we have it - designed in 1959 - maiden voyage 2009. I'll finish the scale detailing and post a pic when that's done. Just like to say a quick thanks to everybody who helped me out with my electrical problems and to all who maintain this most excellent forum :-)).

Cheers,

Robin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »

She is looking superb, and a tidy installation too.
You should be proud of her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tony52

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 07:14:29 pm »

Well Done,

What a lovely little craft.

craftysod

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:40 pm »

Very nice,well done,painting and varnish is superb :-))
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.