Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences in ships of a class  (Read 2691 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Differences in ships of a class
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:23:37 pm »

There are a lot of modern RN ship hulls out there which, tend to be accompanied with plans for a certain ship of a class. For example the Type 23 hull and plan commercially available tends to be Norfolk. While there isnt a problem with the hull, other Type 23's may have differences 'topside'for example, if I wanted to build HMS Lancaster.

What is the best way to find out the difference between fits for ships of the same class? I guess the simplest way would be to buy a plan for Norfolk and just change the pennant number, ships emblem and deck id but no doubt some sea dog would spot the mistakes!

Any hints and tips how to get around this or, is it just something to live with?

TIA

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Differences in ships of a class
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:27 pm »

Lots of photos of the ship you want to build, from books, the webb and visits to Portsmouth!!!
I have lot's of up to date pics of Type 23s and 42s if you want. All taken from the Blue boat harbour tour or Pride of Bilbao ( which gives you a much higher perspective. PM me for a list of your interest.

Holmsey

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 11:28:19 pm »

It is surprising that the type 23's in particular all seem to have a different stern.
I used to work in Portsmouth Dockyard and saw them at close hand from the seaward side.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

jumpin_jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 07:09:18 am »

To be honest with you their is only so much you can get right with the detailing of these subjects, When I  built Cardiiff I had loads of photos and the experience of serving on her for 3 years. No matter how exact you get your project there are always going to be changes made, I remember that you could go away for the weekend and come back on monday morning to find the dockeys had stuck something else on.
    I was quite lucky with Cardiff in respect that she was decommisioned shortly after I built her, so for one, It shows her as it was before the decommisioning and two, no-ones going to know because shes not around anymore.
    The way I would tackle this subject is to as Holmsey said "get loads of pictures" ,try Writing to the "Ships liason officer" on board and explain what you are doing, you never know you might even get an invite to look around your subject, or at least get some photos from them. ;)

Hope all goes well
                                                                               Phil

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:06:16 am »

When I started my Denny Steam Gunboat (Grey Class), I got round the question of authenticity by giving her the pennant number of one of the Class that was scheduled to be built but was then cancelled. Thus nobody can say that my model is not authentic as nobody knows how she would have been completed.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 02:53:53 pm »

I built my Type 23 as HMS Portland as my grandson is a crew member on her.   I used lots of photos ( and asked my grandson lots of questions) to make sure that I covered any differences from the "Norfolk" plans which came with the hull.

At the moment however she is just nearing the end of a refit at Portsmouth and you can be sure that when it is finished there will be lots of changes - you just cant win sometimes  :D

BTW - there are quite a few good photos of Type 23s on Mayhem's website taken from a Portsmouth ferry.

Don B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.