Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings kit Vanadis  (Read 3470 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Billings kit Vanadis
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:59:09 am »

Hi all, just seen the advert for the Billings kit Vanadis on the Howes web site.

This is apparently the same full size prototype yacht kitted by Robbe as Valdivia von Altona.

The Vadivia v a was only called this for a short time whilst under the ownership of a British policeman.  The full size yacht (Valdivia) has now reverted to her, I believe, original name of Vanadis.  I think she is the oldest sailing pleasure yacht, unless anyone knows differently!  Nice article in Classic Boat last year.

regards to all Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings kit Vanadis
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:21:11 am »

Yeh but have you seen the price.

I know it has been reduced to 850 pounds, but the original prce was well over 1200.
I hope for that it comes complete.

If you shop around you can get the Valdivia complete for under 700.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:27:03 pm »

Hi TT yes I am in shock over the price, but I remember falling in love with a Graupner Gracia kit in the late 1960's and that was £10!!!!  I could not afford the Gracia and had to wait until a kind sole gave me one recently that needed a lot of TLC and she sails beautifully now.

As an off shoot to this thread, models like Vanadis are quite complicated boats and require a knowledge of how to put them together even at the pond side.  Let alone sort out a problem!  From my current experience only a few modellers have another generation coming along after them who will have the ability to run 'dad's' models.

Quite a lot of money can be tied up in models much to the surprise of remaining family members, however it cuts both ways as recently we were involved with a deceased's model boats and they had been left too long (6 years) and not worth much at all after this amount of time.

One of our members who had terminal cancer and knew he was 'going' soon, put everything into working order and contacted the people who he wanted to have his models and they collected him and he shared the pleasure they had in receiving them, he was a first class craftsman.  I was one of the last people outside of his family to see and talk to him, him and I know I left him in a happy state of mind, he died 2 days later.

regards Roy

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:45:51 am »

There are several dealers in your former colonies that are selling this new kit for under US$580.00.   :-))

http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=Billings%20Vanadis&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

My Atomic is one who's offering this along with other good deals on the Billings' line.  They were mentioned in a recent thread on RC Groups by one very disgruntled Billings dealer who felt like he was getting the shaft by their published low prices.  I have no personal dealings with them, so best to check them out fully before sending your payment.  ok2

http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewcat?catid=218
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.