Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Dredger CLEARWAY  (Read 4584 times)

ron h

Steam Dredger CLEARWAY
« on: April 17, 2006, 12:29:38 am »

Hi, This is my steam dredger CLEARWAY, Scratchbuilt from my own photo,s and vidio taken at Whitehaven before she was scraped a few years ago.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Cargo

Re: Steam Dreadger CLEARWAY
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:27:30 pm »

What the hell is a dreadger?  ;)

Btw nice boat! I like old steam vessels.

ron h

Re: Steam Dredger CLEARWAY
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:44:37 pm »

She was the last coal fire bucket dredger in the country, she worked at the harbour mouth at Whithaven, she was 64 years old when they retired her quite a few years ago.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:47:48 pm »

Great model, Ron.

I often watched the Clearway at work - those clouds of black smoke as she lumbered out of the harbour to dump her load of silt... What a sin she was scrapped. Still, apparently the engine was saved for use in the restoration of another steam ship.

Somewhere I have an old photo of her with the original steam crane. If I can find it I'll post it on here.

Jonty
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

ron h

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:41:04 pm »

Yes it was a sin, I was very lucky to be able to video her while she worked, and go out to the habour bar to drop her load, she came back and I was able to go aboard and meet the crew, the next time I saw her she was laid up and rusting badly, I was able to get some still photo,s and video. There are no drawings for this vessel, I scaled my own from my photo,s . ron h

centaur

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:18:59 am »

Cracking model Ron.

We had a similar dredger in Ramsgate when I was a lad.? ?She was called, appropriately enough, "Ramsgate".? ?I can distinctly remember arranging a trip out to her dumping grounds and being lifted off the East Pier and on to the bridge wing by the mate as the ship went past.? ?That was over fifty years ago when I was about ten years old.? ?What price that sort of thing in today's litigious health and safety climate?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.