Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/72 Foxtrot Kit  (Read 19005 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
1/72 Foxtrot Kit
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:22 am »

After several false starts on this project last year & after seeing Arkmodel's new 212 several weeks ago, I asked Mr. Feng if he would be interested in developing a 1/72 Foxtrot.  He just confirmed that today in an email.

The kit will be produced from a CNC master with FRP split hull, loads of detail, masts, fittings, props & will be available with the same options found on his 212 & Type 39 Song: bollard & mast elevation, torpedo cab, etc..  He also will be offering a matching WTC.  Size TBD but it would be between 75-100mm with 3 motors. 

Kit pricing is approximately $365 for the Foxtrot & $220 for the WTC. RTR models would be available as well.  Lead time is to be 3-4 month once deposit is placed.

I have no financial interest in this project & am promoting this only so we have another interesting model available in the market.  After seeing his 212, I have no qualms with what the kit will look like & plan to proceed with an order next week.

To make this happen, we need to see 10 sub enthusiasts who will commit to an order, so lets see a show of hands here who would be interested.  We're currently at 7 so its getting close to happening.   

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or want additional details. 

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/72 Foxtrot Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:25:44 am »

From the replies I've received since Friday's post, we have 7 confirmed buyers & more than a few others thinking it over. TF72 members are being notified in their April newsletter so I expect we'll hit the magic number within the week.  One of those committed is well-known in the sub community for his line of WTC / ballast systems which will eventually be offered for the kit.

If you're on the fence or think you don't have funds, we're running this as a co-op with 3 installment payments starting with only $110 deposit to get this rolling with estimated delivery by 1 Sept.  Once this initial run is made, prices will undoubtedly rise so get on the bus while you can.

If anyone else here is interested, please get with me at your earliest convenience for more details.  Thanks.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:57 am »

We are stuck at 8 committed buyers & need 2 more to make this project a reality.

If anyone here is interested in a new Foxtrot kit, please get with me.

Chuck

Albion

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:52:24 am »

cmon guys, this should make a nice model

andyn

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:52:47 pm »

I'm sure there will be many people interested, there's a big sub scene over here and in America. I'm afraid I won't be, as I do IC, but I'm sure there will be.

Just as a sidenote, has anyone done a K-19 yet? The one featured in K-19, The Widowmaker. I know it's probably not all that accurate, but it's my favorite film...

Best of luck to you.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:34 pm »

We've got one more commitment & come hell or high water, we're making this happen even if it means one of us doubling up on 2 kits.   

I'll keep updating here as we progress on the kit development with Ark, so if anyone else here wants in on the ground floor, let us know. 

Personally I can't wait to see this boat running alongside USS Requin, my late fleet snorkel Gato.  :-))

Chuck

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:07 pm »

We've had a false start earlier this spring on the Foxtrot but I'm happy to report that this new kit is a go with an expected delivery in the first quarter of 2010. 

Besides actually seeing a kit go into development, the best part of the news is that 1) the kit is not made in China, but by a US-based firm & 2) no deposits are required from buyers to get this one off the ground. 

Rick Palumbo of RPM Tech will be doing the development, production & marketing of the kit once he completes an exciting new sub project this month.  If you don't know of Rick's work, visit his blog http://www.rpmtech1blog.com where you can see his Kilo, Marder & Seehund. I have his 1/24 Seehund & can attest to his workmanship & design simplicity. 

This Foxtrot will be a true dead-on 1/72 scale for our TF72 friends Down Under & come with detail not normally seen in FRP kits such as hull plate deformation (oil canning) & those ugly weld seams Soviet subs were known for.

More details to follow. 

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:12:02 am »

I wanted to share some photos of Rick's progress over the past few weeks since starting on Project 641.  :-))

He plans to offer a triple screw 2.5" twin piston ballast system to go with the sub.  Anyone who would be interested in the kit can get more info by contacting Rick at RPM Tech.

Those of us who had been pining for the Fox are already kicking around some ideas for a follow up sub which include anything from British R, T & U class, an early WWI German u-boot to the French Surcouf

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29:13 pm »

Photos of the final stern shape before plating.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:42:17 am »

Boy, does this guy work fast!  :-))

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/72 Foxtrot Kit Update - Tower
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:32:48 pm »

Here are a couple shots of the tower in progress. 

Note the large torpedo behind the Foxtrot in the 2nd photo.  Rick's also been working on a 1/6 Neger kit that will be coming out shortly.  Imagine the possibilities with a torpedo in that scale...   :o

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:03:07 am »

Here are some new photos showing recent progress on the Foxtrot.  More detailing remains to be done including seams, rivits & oil canning.  :-))

john j

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 06:41:13 am »

What is the silver 'skin' that simulates panels done with, aluclad or the like ?

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 06:51:08 am »

One of America's greatest inventions.... duct (or duck) tape.

john j

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:03 pm »

One of America's greatest inventions.... duct (or duck) tape.

Simple, but very effective  :-))

Albion

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 12:48:28 am »

yet another use for it :-))

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 04:31:22 am »

Yes, we'll really looking forward to this kit knowing that Rick is committed to detailing this as close as he can given the scale he's working with. The following link will give you an idea of what we're striving for:

http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Walkarounds/05-10-30-foxtrot/page.html

Was told that photo etch was sent off today.  :-))

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 10:12:37 pm »

Here is the tower with the exhaust and running lights added. 

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/72 Foxtrot Kit - Prop Master
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

Here's a photo of the prop master that will be used to make a mold of this prop before, using the same master, bending it for opposite rotation for the other mold.

The hull is done & Rick is now starting on the deck which is pretty detailed which will take some time. Once completed, he'll mold and have the hull, props and detail kit ready along with photo etch vents.

Release of the kit is slated in the first quarter with WTC to follow later. 

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

Rick's in the final stretch before making a mold this week.   :D

Here are some examples of "oil canning" done to the hull.   Frame stations seen under the skin from bouncing up against the pier, wave action, etc... 

We're seeking consensus now from those interested in the kit if this this nasty enough looking like a Fox during its mid-career stage.  Since this is an "open-source project", any & all input is certainly welcome. 

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 10:43:36 am »

Carn't see any pics just adverts for Photobucket PRO and states bandwidth exceeded. <:(

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:13 am »

Yea, just noticed that on another forum.  I'll see what we can do to work around this.  <*<

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 02:47:16 am »

Ricks's put this baby to bed & started with the hull mold today.

Won't be long, boys, before we have ourselves a Foxtrot kit!!!   :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/72 Foxtrot Kit - Prop Master
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:47 am »

Release of the kit is slated in the first quarter with WTC to follow later.  

Note to Brits. In American English the word 'slated' means scheduled.

Note to Americans. In British English 'slated' usually means panned, or heavily criticised.

Note to Chuck.
I hope my Louis Heloise does not get torpedoed if I bring it to Hangzhou. Now that the Chinese Navy will be patrolling Tiger Hole.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:52 am »

Thanks for the clarification, TT.  Its "scheduled" for release next month.  

Don't worry about me sinking your lovely cutter.  By the time you get here, you'll be able to call on the Royal Navy who'll be back in force in local waters with their submarine Holland 1.  ok2

http://www.rpmtech1blog.com/132-scale-u-k-holland-submarine-from-1900  

http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/submarines/holland1.htm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.